zeitgeistxx

HDMI color output

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

Hi. I just received my Pi today and plugged it into my Sony Bravia via the HDMI connection and booted it up (using the wheezy raspian OS). It worked just fine initially (5-10 minutes), then the screen went all noisy and flickery. I rebooted, but the problem remained. I removed the usb mouse/keyboard dongle to an externally powered usb hub, then rebooted, which left me almost back to initial conditions, except no red color was coming through. I tested the composite video port, and that works fine, all colors. I checked all cables and can see no visible reason for the problem. I then experimented with config_hdmi_boost (in /boot/config.txt), and some red starts showing up at 6, lots at 7, but it's a mess. I swapped the power supply I'm using (ordered from Allied Electronics as compatible with the Pi) with my ipad supply, with no change in the color output.

I do not have a spare HDMI cable, but will buy one and try that. I also don't have any other HDMI capable displays in the house, so I can't test that. From what I can tell, the Sony tv is ok, nothing wrong with that HDMI port.

I'm guessing it's either the HDMI connector, HDMI cable or the power supply. I will update once I get a new cable to try. Anyone have a similar experience, or suggestions for a voltage measurement I can do? I have a multimeter and can do so. Could the power supply be underperforming and causing the HDMI problem? Or, is it obviously a connector/cable issue? As I said, it initially worked perfectly.

Many thanks for any ideas on the problem.

drgeoff

Re: HDMI color output

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 am

redhawk

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 am

There's an option to boost the HDMI signal I suppose you could give that a go - http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

Richard S.

Patpi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I purchased my Raspberry PI in a kit with all accessories except the video device. I connected it via HDMI to each of my two Sony Bravia TVs (KDL32S3000 and KDL20S3000). The result was the same in each case ... a blank screen. I tried various settings but the only results were "no sync" and "out of range" Can anyone advise?

drgeoff

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Patpi wrote:I purchased my Raspberry PI in a kit with all accessories except the video device. I connected it via HDMI to each of my two Sony Bravia TVs (KDL32S3000 and KDL20S3000). The result was the same in each case ... a blank screen. I tried various settings but the only results were "no sync" and "out of range" Can anyone advise?
Have you worked through http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... put_at_all ?

zeitgeistxx

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Patpi, it's possible that your problem might be solved if you experimented with the config.txt file, via the command: sudo nano /boot/config.txt. There's a line you can add, hdmi_mode=, which might help or not. Specifically, refer to http://elinux.org/RPiconfig which explains all of the different options. I tried 16, which is the mode for 1080p resolution, at 60 Hz, which did not work, but choosing 31 did, which is the same resolution for 50 Hz. It wasn't a good display option, but it did display, albeit with the no red color problem.

zeitgeistxx

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am

Measured the voltage on the board between the T1 and T2 for the power supply and found it to be 5.84 volts with nothing attached, 4.83 with the keyboard/mouse dongle plugged into the raspberry pi onboard usb and 4.81 volts with the dongle and an external usb hub attached to the other raspberry pi usb port (with a wireless dongle in the external usb hub). These numbers are within the limits stated, so I don't know see a problem there. I checked the F3 fuse and the numbers read 4.93 volts on the edge side and 4.84 volts on the sd card slot side, which is not within the stated spec difference of 0.3 volts for the polyfuse. Whether this has anything to do with the hdmi not sending out any red color, I have no idea.

Looking for ways to test the hdmi connector.

zeitgeistxx

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

Tested hdmi cable, it's fine. So, problem must be the connector on the Pi, I guess.

Patpi

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks for help but ........

I am not very technical and I have not done any programming for about 40 years so I purchases a Raspberry PI kit that included the operating system on an SD card. I am reluctant at this stage to try and rewrite the software.

I emailed the Sony Helpline explaining my problem and their answer was ………. “ I understand that there is blank screen on the TVs when the Raspberry PI ( single-board computer) is connected to the HDMI Cable. Please note that the Raspberry PI is not compatible with the Sony TVs and cannot be connected using HDMI or other connection”

I know that the objective of Raspberry PI is to get people to start programming but I would suggest that there is a need for clear and simple instructions to help those new to programming (or returning to programme) to overcome initial problems with the video system.

Burngate

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Patpi wrote:... I emailed the Sony Helpline explaining my problem and their answer was ………. “ I understand that there is blank screen on the TVs when the Raspberry PI ( single-board computer) is connected to the HDMI Cable. Please note that the Raspberry PI is not compatible with the Sony TVs and cannot be connected using HDMI or other connection” ...
I wonder what Sony think is compatible with their TVs!

Try hdmi_safe=1 in config.txt. That should give you the best chance of seeing something.
Then work through http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

If you can't get anything with hdmi_safe=1, there may be something else wrong, so work through http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

drgeoff

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm

If above story is true, methinks that said Sony helpline is worse than no help at all.

Even if their TVs won't work with the RPi's HDMI output (which I very much doubt, though might need a bit of tweaking of parameters in config.txt ), why wouldn't they work with the composite output?

zeitgeistxx

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 am

You were misinformed by the person answering your questions on the 'Sony Hotline'. There is no reason why the Pi should not work through an hdmi connection on a Sony tv. It works on my Sony Bravia, my problem originating with the Pi, not the tv. As for having display problems with your Pi, this is a fundamental issue that has plagued linux from the beginning, I'm afraid. It can be tricky to get linux to properly display to a screen, and the only solution is for you to be willing to edit the file mentioned earlier in the thread. The problem is that there are so many, many different monitors and tvs manufactured and available out there, that it would be difficult to set things up so that they work perfectly for everyone out there right away. As for programming, it's really not that as much as editing the settings in a file, and seeing what works. Trial and error, I'm afraid.

zeitgeistxx

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Tested powering the Pi straight through the usb hub, bypassing the power supply I bought (advertised for the Pi by Allied Electronics), and now I have red, but no blue/green. Hah. Using the separate power supply, with all peripherals powered through the hub, I have blue/green, no red. I'm thinking I may have a combo power supply/polyfuse problem.

zeitgeistxx

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Measured the resistance across the polyfuse and got 0.4 ohms, so that's ok.

Patpi

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm

zeitgeistxx wrote:You were misinformed by the person answering your questions on the 'Sony Hotline'. There is no reason why the Pi should not work through an hdmi connection on a Sony tv. It works on my Sony Bravia, my problem originating with the Pi, not the tv. As for having display problems with your Pi, this is a fundamental issue that has plagued linux from the beginning, I'm afraid. It can be tricky to get linux to properly display to a screen, and the only solution is for you to be willing to edit the file mentioned earlier in the thread. The problem is that there are so many, many different monitors and tvs manufactured and available out there, that it would be difficult to set things up so that they work perfectly for everyone out there right away. As for programming, it's really not that as much as editing the settings in a file, and seeing what works. Trial and error, I'm afraid.
Sorry for taking so long to respond. As you have said I was misinformed by by the person answering on the "Sony Hotline". The problem was with the power supply that was included in the Raspberry PI kit purchased from Maplin. When everything is connected the voltage drops to 4.6 volts. I tried using the Samsung charger that came with my phone and everything seems to be working fine.

sshipway

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:19 am

I have a similar problem with my old Dell monitor (DVI). Lots of messy red line interference; then if I raise the HDMI boost to 9 it goes, but there is then no red at all.

I think it is likely a design issue that the Pi produces a weak signal, and some displays, maybe older ones?, need a better signal and cant cope.

Steve

Return to “Troubleshooting”