mpalomer

Wifi randomly cuts out

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 am

I have my Pi set up to connect to my network through Wifi with a USB Wifi adapter. However, I notices that ~2-10 minutes after booting, the Wifi connection suddenly drops, and I have to reboot either with "sudo reboot" or by manually unplugging/plugging it to get it connected again. Did anyone else encounter this problem when using Wifi, and if so, how did you fix it? I'm running the latest stable release of Raspbian, and using this Wifi adapter with this power supply.

mpalomer

Re: Wifi randomly cuts out

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 am

To add to this, I also noticed that the keyboard also stops working when this happens.

Andre-Acer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 am

Exactly same problem here! After booting my pi into Raspbmc after 2-10 minutes suddenly the wifi connection speed drops and is gone then. After rebooting or after plugging the dongle out and in again the wifi connection works for another 2-10 minutes.

I had the problem, when the pi was powered by the TV USB. Then I tried a Samsung mobile power supply. Then the Wifi exceeded to 30 minutes. Now I am using another 1,2A power supply and until now the wifi works for 90 minutes playing 720p material. Hopefully the problem is solved now. It seems, as if the power supply was just to weak.

Andre-Acer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 am

urghh...one minute after my reply, the wifi connection is now gone again. Though, the power supply seems to be the problem. Which dongle are you using? I'm using the TP LINK 821N.

mpalomer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am

Andre-Acer wrote:Exactly same problem here! After booting my pi into Raspbmc after 2-10 minutes suddenly the wifi connection speed drops and is gone then. After rebooting or after plugging the dongle out and in again the wifi connection works for another 2-10 minutes.

I had the problem, when the pi was powered by the TV USB. Then I tried a Samsung mobile power supply. Then the Wifi exceeded to 30 minutes. Now I am using another 1,2A power supply and until now the wifi works for 90 minutes playing 720p material. Hopefully the problem is solved now. It seems, as if the power supply was just to weak.
Can you link me to the power supply that's allowing 90 minutes of Wifi? I'm using the 5.25V 1A Adafruit one. I also have a 5V 1.2A, so I may try that to see if Wifi lasts longer.

Edit: the Wifi adapter I'm using is this: http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_deta ... &pl2_id=44

Andre-Acer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 am

Can't find my power supply anywhere on the net at the moment - I will link it here, when I have found it.

So, did another test. I'm using another SD Card with openelec right now. There are NO problems with the wifi at the moment! Seems as if it is a special Raspbian problem (Raspbmc is based on it right?).
So if its really stable now I'll stick to openelec then.

So it doens't seem to be a power supply problem only, but also a problem in the OS:

Fludizz

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am

Are you guys using a Rev. 1 raspberry pi or a Rev. 2?

A rev. 1 Pi has fuses on the USB ports which limit it to about 140mA per port. If your wifi dongle is drawing more then 140mA when in use, the voltage starts to drop until the USB device stops working. You could also try using the wifi dongle in a powered USB hub and see if the problem is still present.
Rev1: D14 removed, F1&F2 bypassed and heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 900 / gpu 300 / sdram 400 :(. No overvolting!
Rev2: 512MB version, no mods, just heatsinks installed. Stable at arm 930 / gpu 350 / sdram 500. No overvolting!

Andre-Acer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

No, I'm using the Rev. B with 512MB RAM. So this can't be the problem.

For me it's still: using openelec is perfect, using raspbian or raspbmc has this wifi problem. I just wanted the pi to be a network media player, so openelec is now the perfect solution for me ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting”