computid

No USB/Ethernet after a couple of minutes, now not at all

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 am

Hi all,

I ordered my Pi when they first came out, when I first used it I noticed that after a couple of minutes of running the keyboard/mouse stops working and the networking stops working (I understand that these share a bus?). I put the Pi in a drawer and just sort of forgot about it since I didn't actually need to use it at the time (I bought it to fit into my car).

Fast forward to now and today I created an SD card for it with the latest Raspian build and poped it in. It booted up fine and my wireless logitec keyboard and mouse worked fine. I started X and after about 2 minutes of use they stopped working. Bugger. I switched it off, waited a few seconds and switched it back on again. This time it wont let me use the keyboard at all, not even to log in.

So far I've tried three different adapters (two known to work on other Pi's), three different SD cards (two known to have a working OS) and two different keyboard/mouse combo's (again known to work on other Pi's).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to do next or do I need to try and get this replaced under warranty? A friend mentioned to me that he recalled a thread where someone had similar issues (which I now can't find) which were resolved with a firmware upgrade however I don't seem to be able to find a way to upgrade the firmware from outside a distro (unless I'm just searching for the wrong things!).

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: No USB/Ethernet after a couple of minutes, now not at al

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 am

Another non recovered blown polyfuse problem?

computid

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 am

mahjongg wrote:Another non recovered blown polyfuse problem?
Having just been reading up on other peoples experiences it would seem that is the case.

I don't particularly want to bridge it and risk having an unprotected USB and at the same time I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of replacing it. Has anybody successfully had their Pi replaced under warranty for this issue? Its a little annoying, I want to start playing with it now! :D

Wamwung

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi, computid

I'm having the same problem as you... At least I'm still able to login and run the startx. But after a few seconds, my keyboard and mouse stop working. I can also say that I've tried three different wired keyboards and wired mouses.

I've tried to re-install the Raspbian Wheezy in two different computers but no success, the problem remained.

Maybe is a version problem. I've bought mine in December'12.

If you fixed the problem, let me know.

mpalomer

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:46 am

I'm having the same problem too. Even with just a keyboard+ethernet+composite video cable plugged in, all the USB devices seem to fail after a few minutes. The Pi itself continues to run though, and still outputs video. I've even had this problem with only a USB Wifi adapter plugged in.
mahjongg wrote:Another non recovered blown polyfuse problem?
I've been reading up about the polyfuse and how it can cause problems, but I'm not sure how to solve them. How long does it take for the Pi polyfuses (or at least the one polyfuse, F3, since I have the newer version win the USB polyfuses removed) to recover? Is this something that can recover, of if it seems to not recover at all, does that mean it's a defective board? Would you say that getting a powered USB hub is the more straightforward and easy way of fixing/avoiding these issues?

m4rky

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 am

This sounds like my problem also.

I have just bought a second r-pi (a 512MB one) and it is nowhere near as good as my old 256MB one I got when they first came out.

I have been using the r-pis to run squeezeplug with a USB Wireless LAN and a USB DAC.
My new r-pi looses the Wireless LAN after a few minutes and the sound out of the USB DAC stops.
If I install the SD card in my old r-pi and connect the same USB Wireless LAN and USB DAC it runs perfectly.

The Ethernet (Wired LAN) controller does seem to still function ok on the new r-pi.

Does this sound like the USB/Polyfuse issue?

Terranigmus

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm kind of having the same problem, 512 RPI here.

However, USB and Ethernet stop working a few secs into th boot already.

Strange enough, when I use a fresh image of the OS, the USB keyboard works just fine, status LED's and all that stuff included.
I haven't measured the current yet as I have no multimeter but I don't think that's an issue, I am using a 2 A adapter from the galaxy tab.

I haven't been able to use the RPI for anything at all and I'm starting to get quite dissapointed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”