mpalomer

Pi crash + voltage spike (T1/T2) w/ 2 min. uptime (solved)

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am

I'm having a problem with my new Raspberry Pi. Immediately after plugging it in, it runs with about ~4.95V over T1 and T2. But 2-3 minutes later, it crashes (no output to video + only the red power LED stays on), and the voltage over T1 and T2 immediately jumps to 5.1V. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is the crash caused by the sudden rise in voltage, or is the voltage jump a symptom of the crash? I've tried this with 2 different power adapters - a 5.25V Adafruit adapter and a generic 5V 1.2A USB wall charger I got from Wal-Mart some time ago - with the same outcome for each.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Pi crash + voltage spike (over T1/T2) w/ only 2 mins. up

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 am

A rise to 5.1 volt shouldn't cause a crash, as 5.1 Volt is a perfectly acceptable voltage for the PI to operate with. Up to 5.25 Volt is acceptable!

I do think it just means that the PI draws a less lot current than normal when that happens, and that causes less losses in cables and such.
In "operation mode" the PI itself (not counting USB devices and such) the PI draws anywhere from 400 to 700mA, depending on what its doing, with everything shut down this lowers to 100mA.

So the voltage rise is a symptom of it crashing, not a cause.
In my opinion, there could be two things happening.

1) Some code on the card causes a crash, and an immediate shutdown.
or
2) You have a defective PI, perhaps some solder-joint is badly soldered, and the crash happens when the PI slightly expands, due to warming up somewhat, and an electrical connection is broken.

There have been reports of the second situation, and if you have one of these (normally made in China for RS) then you should return it as defective under guarantee.

mpalomer

Re: Pi crash + voltage spike (over T1/T2) w/ only 2 mins. up

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 am

mahjongg wrote:A rise to 5.1 volt shouldn't cause a crash, as 5.1 Volt is a perfectly acceptable voltage for the PI to operate with. Up to 5.25 Volt is acceptable!

I do think it just means that the PI draws a less lot current than normal when that happens, and that causes less losses in cables and such.
In "operation mode" the PI itself (not counting USB devices and such) the PI draws anywhere from 400 to 700mA, depending on what its doing, with everything shut down this lowers to 100mA.

So the voltage rise is a symptom of it crashing, not a cause.
In my opinion, there could be two things happening.

1) Some code on the card causes a crash, and an immediate shutdown.
or
2) You have a defective PI, perhaps some solder-joint is badly soldered, and the crash happens when the PI slightly expands, due to warming up somewhat, and an electrical connection is broken.

There have been reports of the second situation, and if you have one of these (normally made in China for RS) then you should return it as defective under guarantee.
It was the first one. I got it to work by just formatting it and re-installing Raspbian all over again. Works like a charm now!

Return to “Troubleshooting”