MAA1612

Keyboard only works on every third or fourth reboot

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi all,

One week ago, I bought this cheap wireless keyboard and mouse combo for my raspi. Back at home, I immediately tested the devices, as I already knew that some people are still facing issues with ignored or randomly repeated key presses. I was very glad to find out that both the keyboard and the mouse seemed to work fine, and I was already thinking that this combo fitted the raspi really well.

As I had to compile some stuff over night, I did not switch off my raspi for a couple of days, but when I finally rebooted, the keyboard was not working correctly anymore. Ignored and repeated key presses occurred so often that it was impossible to log in. I rebooted again, but the issue sustained. As it had worked before, I performed some further reboots, and suddenly the keyboard worked correctly again.

Apparently, this keyboard only works correctly with the Raspberry Pi under Raspbian on every third or fourth reboot. However, once you have it working, it will reliably continue to work until the next reboot. Thus, it does not seem to be a general hardware incompatibility or power supply problem. Rather, I suspect that occasionally something goes wrong during the USB driver initialization.

For the records:
  • Raspberry Pi Model B Rev. 2
  • "official" RS components power supply unit.
  • Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
  • Wireless keyboard/mouse combo: Rapoo X1800
  • No other USB devices connected
Is somebody still working on the USB drivers?

Best regards,
Alexander

thradtke

Re: Keyboard only works on every third or fourth reboot

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:05 am

Yes:
jamesh wrote:There is now someone working full time on the USB driver. Still no schedule though.
Rocket Scientist.

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 am

I stopped using wirless on my PC partly because I kept loosing the mouse and the battery connections were flaky there is that possibility as well untill there's a reccomendation cheap wired seems the best bet. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

thradtke

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 am

Jim JKla wrote:[...] untill there's a reccomendation cheap wired seems the best bet. ;)
My old HAMA wireless desktop worked on Raspbian, but not on RISC OS. Logitech MK520 appears to work in Raspbian and RISC OS, but pairing sometimes doesn't work. All it takes then is to reconnect the dongle. I think to get a satisfying system you need to spend 100+ Dollars for experiments. And if it works: Don't touch! :lol: :evil:
Rocket Scientist.

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 am

I went to Asda got a Kyboard and mouse for under a tenner and neither have failed me yet?

So much for $100+ experimentation :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

thradtke

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

You're lucky to not have to try different PSUs, hubs, bluetooth and wifi dongles.
Rocket Scientist.

MAA1612

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 am

Jim JKla wrote:I stopped using wirless on my PC partly because I kept loosing the mouse and the battery connections were flaky there is that possibility as well untill there's a reccomendation cheap wired seems the best bet. ;)
I am aware of that possibility, but for many use cases, a wireless keyboard is just the better option. For example, consider using the RPi in a robot where the wireless keyboard can be used as a kind of cheap remote control. After all, the Rapoo X1800 combo only cost me 15 EUR (mouse + keyboard).

Also, if there is an issue with the USB driver initialization, this will most likely affect other devices as well. And since the keyboard works reliably until the next reboot, once you have it running, I am pretty sure that this issue can be fixed without hardware corrections.

Best regards,
Alexander

MAA1612

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am

Can I provide any additional information that would help the person working on the USB driver?

JensBe

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Dear Alex,
I can confirm what you said. It seems to be a problem with USB initialisation. If the keyboard doesn´t work correct you don´t have to reboot, because Hotplug has function. In this case the driver will be re - initiated. I´ve tested this at least 10 times. Also it seems, that my WLAN (Allnet Nano) sometimes looses the connection. In this case the un - and replug of the transmitterdevice is NECCESSARY, otherwise the WPA - GUI won´t show me any device. I´m still testing, if any of the devices confuses each other. I´ll give the information as soon as possible. Maybe a script can solve this problem?

Linux newbee

Jens

solar3000

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

like many people said, I also never got wireless keyboards to work properly (bluetooth or proprietary 2.4ghz). they work, but not properly like stuck keys or missing keystrokes.

any cheap wired keyboard/mouse will work. and you can plug it in live.
Antikythera

thradtke

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 pm

solar, you have a recent firmware installed?

A couple of month ago I made the opposite observation: Only 2.4 GHz desktop sets worked. With the latest firmware update, *my* problems went away. Now I can successfully connect a USB2.0 keyboard (Arduino Leonardo controller) and a USB1.1 cable mouse.
Rocket Scientist.

solar3000

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:07 pm

thradtke wrote:solar, you have a recent firmware installed?

A couple of month ago I made the opposite observation: Only 2.4 GHz desktop sets worked. With the latest firmware update, *my* problems went away. Now I can successfully connect a USB2.0 keyboard (Arduino Leonardo controller) and a USB1.1 cable mouse.

actually, I haven't plugged in any wireless devices lately. I'll try that soon.
Antikythera

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 pm

If you want to try the new fixed USB driver you'll need to first get rpi-update

$ sudo apt-get install rpi-update
$ sudo BRANCH=fiq_split rpi-update

This should work and give you the new driver which should fix any keyboard issues... Unfortunately it still won't fix problems with power!

We've been held up a little checking this in because we're worried about it breaking more than it fixes. Looks like that isn't the case so we'll merge into the head Raspbian build soon.

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Return to “Troubleshooting”