fransschreuder

512MB version does not boot from SD Card, 256MB version does

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi everybody,
I have two raspberry's, one old 256MB version and one 512Mb version. I have the latest raspbian installed on my 64Gb class 10 card, which works fine on the 256Mb version.
On the 512Mb version however, it doesn't boot. Only the red led goes on, no activity at all.
The 512Mb version does work with another (4Gb class 10) card.
I have two questions:
  • 1. What could be the difference between the two raspberry's (apart from the ram)?
    2. Is there anything that I can change to make it boot?
Thanks!

Frans

Jim JKla

Re: 512MB version does not boot from SD Card, 256MB version

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm

There was a change where they had to make an update to the Wheezy image so that it works with the 512 RPi this new image now works with both the 512 and the 256. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

drgeoff

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:41 pm

The RAM chip on the 512 Mbyte RPis is not supported by earlier firmwares. I don't know the exact "must be later than" date but I would expect it was around the time that the 512 Mbyte RPi's began shipping - Oct/Nov? Not just Wheezy but any image with firmware which is too old will not work on 512 Mbyte RPis.

RE320

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm just about to return my 512 RPi to RS as I have the same issues. Are we saying none of the current OS images will work with a 512? It seems hard to believe that no one has a working 512. I've tried a Pre-installed OS SD card from RS and Pi Hut (purchased in the two weeks), neither have worked, plus I have purchased a PSU from RS (as many of the troubleshooting guides I've seen seem to indicate the power supply is the main problem. Couldn't it be that the issue is a faulty batch of RPi's.

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 pm

The latest Wheezy available here http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads I have been told does work and as I only have an original 256 I can't test this.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

drgeoff

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 am

RE320 wrote:I'm just about to return my 512 RPi to RS as I have the same issues. Are we saying none of the current OS images will work with a 512? It seems hard to believe that no one has a working 512. I've tried a Pre-installed OS SD card from RS and Pi Hut (purchased in the two weeks), neither have worked, plus I have purchased a PSU from RS (as many of the troubleshooting guides I've seen seem to indicate the power supply is the main problem. Couldn't it be that the issue is a faulty batch of RPi's.
There have been some instances of RS supplying an SD card flashed with an old OS along with a 512 Mbyte RPi but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that that is the problem in your case.

AFAIK there have been very few if any cases of faulty RPis which do not work at all. Yes, there do seem to have been some which only run for a few minutes after each power up.

What exactly are your symptoms?

RE320

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for replying.

Symptoms: Steady red PWR, a pin prick green ACT (with or without an SD card inserted).

I think I've done all the troubleshooting options. Three different PSUs. Purchased two preinstall OS SD cards. Three SD Read/Writers. Tried imaging the SD cards using win32diskimager from WinXP and Win7. Checksumed the downloads. Tried each OS version available from the downloads page.

canyapan

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I am facing the same issue.

My new 512 MB raspberry pi does not work, where 256 MB raspberry pi has been working properly in the same conditions for months.

Only red power led is on.

I have tried the latest Raspbian and Arch Linux images.
Tried a few reliable power sources. I also have measured its voltage as 5V.

Is there a way to make it work?

drgeoff

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 am

When you say you have measured the PSU, did you measure TP1 - TP2 as described at
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems ?

abishur

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 am

I never trust pre-imaged OS cards (no offense to RS or Farnell ;-) ), could you be precise about how you wrote the SD image to your SD card with windisk32?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

canyapan

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 am

drgeoff wrote:When you say you have measured the PSU, did you measure TP1 - TP2 as described at
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems ?
I measure it from TP1 -TP2.. But I used an analog multimeter. It is like 5.01V. I cannot tell the exact voltage. But my RasPI 256 MB works perfect for months with the same power source.
abishur wrote:I never trust pre-imaged OS cards (no offense to RS or Farnell ;-) ), could you be precise about how you wrote the SD image to your SD card with windisk32?
I have downloaded the latest images from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads and written on the card with Win32DiskImager tool. I tried the card on the RasPI 256 MB, too. And it works on RasPI 256 MB. So, I don't think the issue is related with image writing process.

Please inform me if there is another step has to be done. Like any change on configuration files..

drgeoff

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

canyapan wrote:Please inform me if there is another step has to be done. Like any change on configuration files..
It looks like you have a faulty RPi which should be returned.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm

drgeoff wrote:
canyapan wrote:Please inform me if there is another step has to be done. Like any change on configuration files..
It looks like you have a faulty RPi which should be returned.
+1
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

billabong2630

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with your rPi.
First, I would back up your image using the dd command (google it)
If its not working with the new one, my guess is there are certain files that are written once the raspi-config has been run once, and on boot, those files are read. The new raspberry pi simply doesn't know what to do with them, so it doesn't boot. Theres most likely a way to modify the image once you have backed it up, and then flash the modified image onto the SD card and it will boot.

If you are really worried that your rPi is dead, just buy a cheap 6$ SD card and put on the standard image. My guess is it will work.

drgeoff

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 pm

billabong2630 wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with your rPi.
First, I would back up your image using the dd command (google it)
If its not working with the new one, my guess is there are certain files that are written once the raspi-config has been run once, and on boot, those files are read. The new raspberry pi simply doesn't know what to do with them, so it doesn't boot. Theres most likely a way to modify the image once you have backed it up, and then flash the modified image onto the SD card and it will boot.

If you are really worried that your rPi is dead, just buy a cheap 6$ SD card and put on the standard image. My guess is it will work.
If your guesses are directed at canyapan I would respectfully reacquaint you with his assertions that: "I have downloaded the latest images from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads and written on the card with Win32DiskImager tool. I tried the card on the RasPI 256 MB, too. And it works on RasPI 256 MB. "

Plus the same PSU and peripherals allow his 256 RPi to boot but not the 512 one.

Also, with due respect, your " ... there are certain files that are written once the raspi-config has been run once, and on boot, those files are read. The new raspberry pi simply doesn't know what to do with them, so it doesn't boot." is techno-babble.

(I shall overlook your advice to someone with a Windows computer - as evidenced by mention of Win32DiskImager - to use the 'dd' command.)

abishur

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 am

There have been some instances where an SD card that worked with the 256 version didn't work with the 512... but those were fairly rare, and increasingly rare after the initial kinks were worked out of the 512 version, so my money would be with Jamesh at this point on a faulty 512MB pi.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

canyapan

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for the responses..

I will try to use an old SD card to clear the option.. But before that I need a micro SD converter.. So, it must wait until the weekend..

I will inform you with the results..

RE320

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Update:

My new 512 RPi arrived today and booted first time from four SD cards - two preinstalled (from RS and element14) and two I prevously created with Win32DiskImager.

The hardware was the issue this time.

Return to “Troubleshooting”