beta-tester

no audio in Firefox-ESR after the 2020-12-02 RPi OS upgrade

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 am

hi,
when using firefox-esr to playback videos, there are some videos that plays without audio.
this started to be an issue just after the December 2020 Raspberry Pi OS (and its full-upgrade) was released.

here a link to a video that plays without audio in friefox-esr, but plays with audio in chomium and VLC media player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wrc4fHSCpw

i guess it is one of the issues that started with the switch to PulseAudio.

this happens on my RPi4 and RPi3, that was only full-upgraded from an older installation of RPi OS.
and it happens on my RPi3, that i installed from scratch with an new flashed SD card with the RPi OS from now, 2020-12-02, normal image

EDIT:
here the bug reports i opend in the meantime, in case you want to join them:
maybe it will speed up things, when not only one person is giving feedback there.

Raspberry Pi Distro: Issue #218 - audio problems in Firefox-ESR after PulseAudio is used
Raspbian: Bug #1921778 - audio problems for some videos in Firefox-ESR after PulseAudio is used
Mozilla: Bug 1682779 - since Raspberry Pi OS is using PulseAudio, Firefox 78.5.0esr does not play audio for some videos anymore.
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

Gadgetguy

Re: no audio in Firefox-ESR after the 2020-12-02 RPi OS upgrade

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:46 am

Add me to the list of users having some audio problems after the recent addition of pulse to Raspberry OS.Ever since the recent addition of pulse audio to Raspberry OS I have been having an extremely annoying problem with no audio in firefox browser for a lot of ( but not all ) youtube videos. The audio will play in Chromium or when the problematic youtube video is played via vlc or mpv. Strangely even with videos from the same youtube channel using the same resolutions ,video and audio codecs, one will play audio while another with the same apparent characteristics won’t. The same situation persists even when firefox is started with all addons and extensions disabled. Adding to the mystery if a problematic video is downloaded to disk and then opened in firefox the audio will then play. Moreover there is no audio whether sound is directed to hdmi (which I normally use ) or av jack. Also in my setup of lubuntu 20.10 (which I rather like) on my raspberry pi 4 and which also uses pulse there is also no problem, Also no problem with the audio in another setup of the Raspberry OS which I haven’t yet upgraded.

Sample videos to illustrate the problem:

No soumd plays with :Will Bikes Ever Rule The Road? Yes, And Quicker Than You Might Think... | The GCN Show Ep. 413 at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaCS1Eg8Do

Sound plays with : Cutting Edge Vs Classic Bike | How Much Faster Is A Modern Superbike? at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1vOhBcsdg

While I don’t think this has anything to do with the problem I do confess I have went under the hood and made a few changes via about:config to enable hardware acceleration.( I can play youtube 1080p 30fps without dropped frames after things settle down subsequent to enabling full screen.

Help please!!

Gadgetguy

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:38 am

I solved the sound problems in firefox as described in my following post:

Re: Pulseaudio mono and low volume/no firefox audio on Pi 400 after upgrading OS At;

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=293471&p=1781831#p1781831

So it appears if you wish working sound in firefox after the December pulse installs your only option is :

sudo apt purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils

hippy

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:52 am

Gadgetguy wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:46 am
Sound plays with ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1vOhBcsdg
Belated thanks for the link. No video I tried produced any sound, but that one does. So same here on my Pi 3B (non-plus); Firefox-ESR can play sound but mostly doesn't.

amoun

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi thanks for the script ~sudo apt purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils

When I used the script I lost the volume control that allowed the bluetooth to select an external device so I reinstalled pulseaudio lost sound on Firefox=esr 75.8 again

So I tried ~ sudo apt purge pulseaudio-utils

Now Firefox is fine again but I still can't get the bluetooth to transfer audio to a speaker. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Hermitifier

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 pm

amoun wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm
So I tried ~ sudo apt purge pulseaudio-utils

Now Firefox is fine again but I still can't get the bluetooth to transfer audio to a speaker. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Hi,
I only have Raspberry for less than a week now, but I had the same problem - no audio in Firefox. I don't have wired audio connection, so I can't purge pulseaudio, it needs to stay for bluetooth to work.

One very unintuitive thing I found: Firefox will only play youtube audio when the volume is set to 100%. This does include "Normalized Volume" as shown in "Stats for nerds", so quiet videos will be below 100% even though slider is at max.

beta-tester

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am

here the bug reports i opend in the meantime, in case you want to join them:
maybe it will speed up things, when not only one person is giving feedback there.

Raspberry Pi Distro: Issue #218 - audio problems in Firefox-ESR after PulseAudio is used
Raspbian: Bug #1921778 - audio problems for some videos in Firefox-ESR after PulseAudio is used
Mozilla: Bug 1682779 - since Raspberry Pi OS is using PulseAudio, Firefox 78.5.0esr does not play audio for some videos anymore.
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happyoldman

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I tested it on Pi 400 and had the same problem with Firefox-ESR. However you can download the YouTube video and it play OK with VLC. When I use the Ubuntu (Pi version) SD card, Firefox-ESR is OK with the same YouTube video. I think Raspberry OS should be able to fix it if the Ubuntu version is OK with Firefox-ESR. This becomes more important now when Google stopped Chrome to synchronize with Chromium after 15 March 2021. May be Raspberry OS should change from Chromium to Firefox-ESR in the future.

beta-tester

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Happyoldman wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:47 pm
I tested it on Pi 400 and had the same problem with Firefox-ESR. However you can download the YouTube video and it play OK with VLC. When I use the Ubuntu (Pi version) SD card, Firefox-ESR is OK with the same YouTube video. I think Raspberry OS should be able to fix it if the Ubuntu version is OK with Firefox-ESR. This becomes more important now when Google stopped Chrome to synchronize with Chromium after 15 March 2021. May be Raspberry OS should change from Chromium to Firefox-ESR in the future.
since few days i can't play YouTube videos in VLC anymore. i get the fealing, raspberry pi os / raspbian will force us to use Chomium only.
i reported the issue with Firefox and Raspberry Pi OS to Raspberry Pi distro, raspbian and mozilla, unfortunately with no luck.

maybe the more people report the issue to Raspbian the more attantion the issue becomes to get a priority for fixing.

MolokkoPlus

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 pm

I was so happy to find Firefox ESR in the software library, only to be annoyed by the fact it mutes the sound of lots of youtube videos.
How is it possible that the average user has to stick with the abyssmal video tearing **** that Chromium does?
I mean it is being advertised that you can watch videos online with the Pi.
The fact that kodi performs well with any video you throw at it adds to the hilarity.

beta-tester

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:48 pm

as i said the more people are reporting this issue the more priority the issue gets.
at the moment it's only me who is subscribed to the report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1921778
the bug report is still not confirmed by anybody yet.
the bug report needs you guys to get attention from the maintainer of Raspbian...
join the bug report please and confirm that you are affected as well.

crying around here in this forum doesn't do anything... this forum here is only to see if others have the same issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting”