djhnsn

Launch python from rc.local

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello, I am trying to run a python script I found to launch a display and display the local ip at boot. I have the prereusites installed, and can run the script successfully from the terminal.

I have tried modifying my rc.local to run it.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# Print the IP address

python /home/pi/Downloads/I2C_SSD1306_ipaddr.py

_IP=$(hostname -I) || true
if [ "$_IP" ]; then
  printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$_IP"
fi

raspivid -t 0 -w 1280 -h 960 -fps 30 -b 2000000 -awb auto -n  -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=1 pt=96 ! gdppay ! tcpserversink host=0.0.0.0 port=8554

exit 0
I made it executable (I think it already was, because my raspivid commands work, or at least they did. ) with sudo chmod +x
I have tried launching it from the beginning and end, with and without sudo.

Why can't it activate the display? Do I maybe need a delay?

Also, is there an alternative way to launch it at boot?

klricks

Re: Launch python from rc.local

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:22 pm

Desktop GUI apps won't easily work from rc.local as it attempts to run your command before the Desktop is ready.
Much easier to use autostart instead.

/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

djhnsn

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:46 pm

klricks wrote:
Desktop GUI apps won't easily work from rc.local as it attempts to run your command before the Desktop is ready.

Thanks!
It has no gui, it just prints the ip address. It's one of those mini 2 color oleds. I will try take a look at using autostart.
I will update if it works or not.

djhnsn

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 pm

klricks wrote:

I looked it up, and found a guide for autostart that had me make a .desktop file in a different location

/home/pi/.config/autostart

It worked though. Thanks a lot for the help.

klricks

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 am

djhnsn wrote:
klricks wrote:

I looked it up, and found a guide for autostart that had me make a .desktop file in a different location

Great you got it going using one of several alternate methods.
The method I mentioned, (global autostart) does not use a .desktop file.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

djhnsn

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:49 am

klricks wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 am
djhnsn wrote:
klricks wrote:

Great you got it going using one of several alternate methods.
The method I mentioned, (global autostart) does not use a .desktop file.
When I looked inside the global autostart, I wasn't really sure what to do. I saw a few things loading with @ before them, but wasn't sure if that would apply to a directory as well. When I looked for it, I found the method I ended up using.

It would be to my benefit to learn the global method, so I will look into it the next time I set one up. I haven't designed and printed a case yet, so I want to get that sorted out.

I have 2 more to go. I am making little cameras on pi 0 w to feed video to a jetson nano base station. I don't have much experience with iot devices, and this is my first venture. I have that part working, but I figure I should take advantage of the gpio.

Also, I am finding a lot of the info out there to be very outdated, but that is how these things go.

Anyway, tldr= Thanks

hippy

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 pm

djhnsn wrote:
That should work.

You can add the following early in /etc/rc.local to create a log file which allows what's going on within rc.local to be monitored ...

exec > /tmp/rc.local.log 2>&1; set -x
Then, when rebooted, to see what happened ...

cat /tmp/rc.local.log
My guess would be that you are trying to run a Python 3 program with the "python" command which treats it as Python 2 code, or there's some issue within your actual Python code.

klricks

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:01 pm

djhnsn wrote:
When I looked inside the global autostart, I wasn't really sure what to do. I saw a few things loading with @ before them, but wasn't sure if that would apply to a directory as well. When I looked for it, I found the method I ended up using.

It would be to my benefit to learn the global method, so I will look into it the next time I set one up. I haven't designed and printed a case yet, so I want to get that sorted out.

I have 2 more to go. I am making little cameras on pi 0 w to feed video to a jetson nano base station. I don't have much experience with iot devices, and this is my first venture. I have that part working, but I figure I should take advantage of the gpio.

Also, I am finding a lot of the info out there to be very outdated, but that is how these things go.

Anyway, tldr= Thanks
You simply add your command below what is already there. There are some limitations however... If you have complex or multiple commands, it is best to put them in a bash script then call the bash script from autostart.
The @ is optional. When @ is present, when there is an error, the system will retry the command up to 4 more times before giving up.

djhnsn

Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:25 am

hippy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 pm
djhnsn wrote:
That should work.

You can add the following early in /etc/rc.local to create a log file which allows what's going on within rc.local to be monitored ...

exec > /tmp/rc.local.log 2>&1; set -x
Then, when rebooted, to see what happened ...

cat /tmp/rc.local.log
My guess would be that you are trying to run a Python 3 program with the "python" command which treats it as Python 2 code, or there's some issue within your actual Python code.
It's old code, it launches with python. python3 brings the errors in. I will absolutely generate a logfile. Thanks for that!

klricks wrote:
You simply add your command below what is already there. There are some limitations however... If you have complex or multiple commands, it is best to put them in a bash script then call the bash script from autostart.
The @ is optional. When @ is present, when there is an error, the system will retry the command up to 4 more times before giving up.
Thanks for this, I will let you know how it goes in few days.

djhnsn

Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 pm

klricks wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:01 pm
djhnsn wrote:

Anyway, tldr= Thanks
This worked perfectly! Very simple and effective. Thanks again!

Return to “Troubleshooting”