Mn1

Re: Stuck at login

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12 am

I have same problem with jessie I am able to login with Winscp and connect with vnc viewer but couldn't login. What will be the problem?

xmanny

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Did anyone find a fix for this issue? I am having the same problem as well. I tried the command below and it did not work:

sudo chown pi:pi .Xautohrity

Thanks,
Manny

Mn1

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 am

Please look /etc/environment and proxy configuration where it exists.

Please look boot configuration files. There could be prevention line that breaks to login you have to edit files with winscp and do login with try-fail.

cawli2

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 pm

The post by sicklittlemonkey did the trick for me!! Thanks!!

I had the same problem. Out of the box, changed the password for pi, turned on ssh and vnc, reboot ... it liked the password but would loop me back to the graphical login screen. Connecting with PuTTY ssh from Windows with userid/password for pi worked fine. From there, I issued 'sudo startx' and it logged into a graphical screen AS ROOT. I checked /home/pi and saw that the .Xauthority file was owned by root.

In /home/pi "chown pi:pi .Xauthority".

Graphical login as pi now works.

Thanks sicklittlemonkey!!

domr001

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:24 pm

I had this problem too.
I had set the root password, and changed the pi password.
Installing a 4DPi-24-HAT, it would show the login screen for user pi on the HAT.
But when I put in the new password it would loop back after a few seconds to the login screen.
Using password "raspberry" gave a "wrong password" error, also I could login in with correct password on SSH.
Then I tried sicklittlemonkey's fix...
cawli2 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 pm
In /home/pi "chown pi:pi .Xauthority".
.... and voila, it worked!!! :D :D :D

Thanks sicklittlemonkey!!

JoshuaLaLonde

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:19 pm

From the initial boot, if you have never used the OS on this micro SD before...

login name is raspex
Password is also raspex

They couldn't have just kept it the same login "pi" and password "raspberry" to confuse everyone.

Not sure if this answer is posted way down the thread or not, but I'm not trying to read all of that to find out so this may be a repeat post.

DirkS

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:24 pm

JoshuaLaLonde wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:19 pm
From the initial boot, if you have never used the OS on this micro SD before...

login name is raspex
Password is also raspex

They couldn't have just kept it the same login "pi" and password "raspberry" to confuse everyone.

Not sure if this answer is posted way down the thread or not, but I'm not trying to read all of that to find out so this may be a repeat post.
Please explain how this is related to this ancient topic.
Are you responding to one of the posts, asking a new question or just ranting?

sch

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm

c9ine wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 am
Hi all,

I've just got my pi up and running and I can't seem to get past the login screen. I'm using "pi" as the login and "raspberry" as the password. As soon as I hit enter, the screen turns black with a small cursor in the top left corner, then after about two seconds it takes me right back to the login screen. I tried this with the Default Xsession, LXDE, and Openbox with the same result every time. Power cycling the board didn't help anything.

I'm running Wheezy Raspbian 2012.09, which came pre-installed on a HungryPi SD card.
I am very new at Raspbian. I have been having quite the adventure trying to install nextcloudpi. After installing to the SD card, it booted to the command line. That login was originally:login pi, password raspberry. In the config menus, I changed the the boot to GUI rather than CLI. I rebooted and got a GUI screen and had the exact problem the original poster had, that is, any password combination I had seen on the web would not work.

TLDR: Long story short, I used login ncp, password ownyourbits, and that worked.

I had seen the option to change that password when I was in the ncp config menus (which, by the way, you get by typing "ncp-config", not "nextcloudpi-config". Specifically, scroll to nc-admin. That's where it shows login ncp, password ownyourbits.

I hope this helps someone, at least as of July 2018.

w.sloesarwij

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am

It is an old post, but I had the same problem.
For me the problem was there was no Diskspace left on the SD card:
cleaned it by removing unused programs.

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice wolfram-engine sonic-pi scratch
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove

And i could log in again via VNC

danlun

Sun May 12, 2019 4:05 pm

I have had the same problem, stuck on login screen and my solution was to free memory on the SD card (8GB). I have no special big installation but the problem disappeared when the memory space came back. I used this as help: https://scribles.net/free-up-sd-card-sp ... pberry-pi/
:)

onurhasankus

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Here is the code:

Code: Select all

chown -R pi:pi /home/pi
if you work with different user your code is :

Code: Select all

chown -R myaccount:myaccount /home/myaccount
i can find that codes on https://superuser.com/questions/1277282 ... count-xaut and work for my raspberry pi device in raspbian os

Return to “Troubleshooting”