smb3

Starting Kodi crashes the whole OS

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:04 pm

So I am running Raspberry Pi OS Buster and I installed Kodi on a fresh install. I used both the

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get kodi
and also tried getting it from the "add or remove apps" tool. When you click kodi to start it the screen simply goes blank and then shows a blinking cursor.

The only thing you can do to use the Pi again is to pull the power plug and reboot. When Kodi is installed through a RetroPie OS, it will start fine and works great! I need to run Kodi on the Raspberry OS so I can use the brightness tool since I am using the Official 7" touchscreen.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I tried different power supplies but that did not help.

DarrenHill

Re: Starting Kodi crashes the whole OS

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:26 am

Kodi needs more memory assigned to the GPU from what is set as standard.

Open the config app (sudo raspi-config) then go to advanced options (7) then memory split (A3) and set that to 256mb (for a Pi3 or Pi4). Then exit out of the app and reboot.

Alternatively you can use the GUI version (menu > preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration) and there set the value on the Performance tab (GPU memory setting, the middle one on the tab), then exit and reboot.

See here for a guide on setting it up and what else may need to be done.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 am

smb3 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:04 pm
So I am running Raspberry Pi OS Buster and I installed Kodi on a fresh install. I used both the

sudo apt-get kodi
and also tried getting it from the "add or remove apps" tool. When you click kodi to start it the screen simply goes blank and then shows a blinking cursor.

The only thing you can do to use the Pi again is to pull the power plug and reboot. When Kodi is installed through a RetroPie OS, it will start fine and works great! I need to run Kodi on the Raspberry OS so I can use the brightness tool since I am using the Official 7" touchscreen.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I tried different power supplies but that did not help.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

smb3

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:38 pm

sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi
Ummm all this does is update Kodi. How would this help someone who’s done this several times? The GPU memory reply seems a lot more plausible.

smb3

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:42 pm

@DarrenHill it worked! Thank you so much! I was worried it wasn’t working since it showed the blinking cursor for a few seconds before loading Kodi up fine! Thank you!

DarrenHill

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:12 pm

You're most welcome :)

Happy to help out...

Return to “Troubleshooting”