knute

5.4 kernel audio stopped and Pi freezes - Update!

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm

So I had two problems with the new kernel on my 3B+. First I was getting screen freezes. I would look away from the Pi for a bit and the screen would be black. No response to mouse and I couldn't SSH in from another computer. I'm not sure this is resolved but it may be related to the next problem.

Audio stopped. VLC didn't play any sound and neither did my Java programs that I know worked before. I tried another Pi to see if the first one was on its way to the graveyard but that didn't make any difference. So then I thought I would see if the first problem had anything to do with the video drivers. I had dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d set in my config.txt file. I commented it out and audio came back. I tried with the vc4-fkms-v3d driver enabled and audio works fine with that one. So there is and audio problem with the vc4-kms-v3d and audio on the Pi 3B+. I need to try it on a Pi 4.

I don't know if the freezing issue is resolved with this. If I find out, I'll follow up this post.

Yes this fixes the freezing. The same problem occurs on my Pi 4 and using the fkms or no overlay fixes the problem.

Return to “Troubleshooting”