tch68k

bluetoothctl does not work with RPi3's BT

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am

I have a Raspbian base system (kernel/drivers/base packages) with Devuan packages and i would like to use the BT on the RPi3's MB. If i plug my BT dongle into the USB slot, that works, but the MB one does not. It's just says: "No default controller available."

I've checked this on here and other forums and tried to install/reinstall raspberrypi-sys-mods, but it did not helped. Also i tried to install raspi3-firmware, after i had removed the conflicting firmware-brcm80211 package, it failed with a message that /boot/firmware is not mounted. Creating it did not helped. If i did cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/ && sync then the install was finished properly, but the MB BT still did not work.

hciconfig -a and hcitool dev did not give back anything aside from the prompt.

Anyone has any idea what i am doing wrong?

tch68k

Re: bluetoothctl does not work with RPi3's BT

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:59 pm

In the meantime i tried the following:
- I've installed pi-bluetooth.
- I've updated raspberrypi-sys-mods to the latest, by removing it's systemd dependency from the package file.
- I've deleted /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules.
- I've grabbed a pure Raspbian image (which saw the MB BT) and listed all packages on it, then compared it with my system's package list to see what is missing from mine and these were:

Code: Select all

libncursesw5
libpam-systemd
libsystemd0
systemd
systemd-sysv
None of them could cause this by not present in the system.

So, any ideas? Anybody? Hello?

fbe

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm

install a Raspberry Pi OS Lite image.
Verify that bluetoothctl works.
run

systemctl list-units
stop and disable services step by step and check whether bluetoothctl stops working immediately or after reboot...

tch68k

Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tip, i've found it: stopping the hciuart service made it stop working. I've checked it what is that service doing and it calls the btuart binary. However when i called it under my SysVInit based system, it said

Can't open serial port: No such file or directory
Can't initialize device: No such file or directory
But after downgrading raspberrypi-sys-mods back to 20170519, it became alive.

Thanks again!

Return to “Troubleshooting”