Lookslikerain75

Samba slow pi 4 USB SSD

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:09 pm

I have been trying to resolve this for a few days now, by USB attached SSD (EXT4) when accessed via samba share on windows PC only gets 5mb/s download or upload.

PI4 is connects on wifi 5G at 150mb-200mb. Internet speed test run from the pi in chromium shows 60mb/s. wifi shows a good connection at -50dBM.

Minidlna works really well with files accessed from the same SSD, fast scrubbing through video files.

On the pi local copy from USB to SD card of a 800mb file takes 1-3 seconds, local speeds of ssd seems to be about 300mb/s

I have added the "quirk" patch dmesg shows this has applied. I still cannot get anything above 5mb/s (800mb file). I have tried from windows and from chromebook and android same slow speed.

I can't find any other fixes to try can anyone advise any further debugging i can do please? I tried setting up VSFTP to test ftp but spent 4 hours failing to get a directory listing so gave up trying to compare FTP to samba.

Any advise really appreciated, any logs i can check etc.

Kendek

Re: Samba slow pi 4 USB SSD

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Lookslikerain75 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:09 pm
...I tried setting up VSFTP to test ftp but spent 4 hours failing to get a directory listing so gave up trying to compare FTP to samba.
The FTP performance is very good, compared to Samba. But most servers are too complicated, incompatible and restrictive, even if you only want to use it on your local network.
I found that the SmbFTPD (which is used in Synology NAS and routers as well) is a very simple, compatible and the best choice in this case. And the rsync daemon.

Return to “Troubleshooting”