gordon77
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Since upgrading to the latest 32bit Raspian OS my wireless keyboard has become intermittent, mouse appears OK.

Tried another wireless keyboard , same issue.

Anyone else found this ?

bjtheone
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:10 pm

I starting seeing odd wireless keyboard behaviour after updating this weekend. At first I just thought it was low batteries, and replaced them. The symptoms were missing characters, odd cursor movements (usually jumping backwards in the text), and some freezes. Replacing the batteries seemed to help but I am still seeing odd stuff, mostly manifesting as massive increase in typo rate, which at the time I put down to massive lack of sleep.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Are you using any USB 3.0 devices?

USB 3.0 is known to interfere with 2.4GHz wireless, which is a common frequency for wireless keyboard and mouse (as well as Bluetooth and WiFi). My 4B2 is bootinig from a USB 3.0 SSD with the beta firmware and I had to put my Logitech Unifying dongle on a short USB 2.0 extension cable. When the dongle was plugged in right next to the USB 3.0 SSD my K400r keyboard+touchpad didn't work well.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

bjtheone
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:25 pm

I am using both a USB 3.0 USB data stick and a USB 3.0 connected SSD along with a wireless keyboard and mouse. However, I have been using this exact setup for at least 6 months and have never experienced any issues. By exact same, I mean all cabling, peripherals, and physical location and orientation of devices. Nothing was plugged/unplugged recently, with the exception of turning off the keyboard, replacing the batteries, and turning it back on.

Other than the software update, nothing has changed with the Pi and further more, nothing has changed in the electrical environment in the house (no new equipment, routers, central vac, 100 Ton stamp presses, linear colliders, etc).

For whatever reason my Pi has had zero USB 3.0 and/or HDMI interference issues before this.

gordon77
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:10 pm
I starting seeing odd wireless keyboard behaviour after updating this weekend. At first I just thought it was low batteries, and replaced them. The symptoms were missing characters, odd cursor movements (usually jumping backwards in the text), and some freezes. Replacing the batteries seemed to help but I am still seeing odd stuff, mostly manifesting as massive increase in typo rate, which at the time I put down to massive lack of sleep.
Similar symptoms l'm getting. I also changed batteries, no change. Keyboard doesn't respond at times.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Try it with the dongle on a USB extension cable to see if it fixes the problem. That way we'll at least know if it's interference or not.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gordon77
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:11 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 pm
Try it with the dongle on a USB extension cable to see if it fixes the problem. That way we'll at least know if it's interference or not.
Will do. I'm not using usb3

bjtheone
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am

If you have nothing connected to the USB 3.0 ports, then it is not USB interference. There have also been reports of issues with some HDMI cables creating issues, which I think were more of an issue with certain resolutions. However, that issue seemed to impact WiFi performance.

I did not spend a lot of time with it last night, but it seems to be keyboard centric. My wireless mouse behaves as expected (tracks smoothly, registers button presses, and scroll wheel action).

bjtheone
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am

Another discovery... my keyboard settings seemed odd. Using raspi-config to reset it to a standard 104 key english keyboard seems to have stopped some of the odd behaviour. For example I once again have a behaving backspace key. I am absolutely sure I did not mess with the keyboard setup and have not installed any new software in quite some time. Oddness seems to start after the latest full-update on the weekend.

gordon77
Posts: 4981
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:18 am

bjtheone wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
Another discovery... my keyboard settings seemed odd. Using raspi-config to reset it to a standard 104 key english keyboard seems to have stopped some of the odd behaviour. For example I once again have a behaving backspace key. I am absolutely sure I did not mess with the keyboard setup and have not installed any new software in quite some time. Oddness seems to start after the latest full-update on the weekend.
What did your keyboard set as at install ? Even though mine is a UK keyboard and I choose UK it installs as US, and l have to use preferences to make it UK.

bjtheone
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
Location: The Frozen North (AKA Canada)

Re: intermittent keyboard with latest OS ?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 am

I don't recall what it started out set to when I first installed the OS. It was set to a 104 US English keyboard once I finished configuring it. After the odd behaviour happened, and I had some more sleep I thought to check it and somehow it was set to a 105 international keyboard. Resetting it to 104 US English using raspi-config seems to have made things better. I need more time at the keyboard before I can claim it is resolved.

I recall seeing something about an first install scenario that did odd things to localization. Of course now I can't find it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”