dknute

2012-12-16 Raspbian

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm

So, how many people here are running this particular version?

I've been running 2012-10-28, updating it frequently (just the userland though). My Pi had uptime of 25 days and apparently got bored and destroyed filesystem on the SD card. I had it customized with 3 partitions: /boot (60MB FAT), / (3GB ext4), and /home (12GB ext4). Only FAT survived, the other two were broken beyond repair. I might have killed /home when I attempted to salvage config files, it's a good thing I moved all other files to NFS way before that happened. Anyway, I'm running with pretty high overclocking so I expected trouble.

So I had to start with fresh copy and decided to try 2012-12-16 image. Problem is, I can't even run aptitude now, trying to download and install over 40MB of updates kills my filesystem again. I've disabled overclocking, didn't help. Went with one big root partition, same story. I get tons of I/O errors (mostly failed writes) and the FS ends up trashed. Am I the only one with this problem? I think I saw a post about poor stability of the newest distro on the forum but can't find it now.

I still have 2012-10-28 on my HDD and will now use that as a base, and then try upgrading. I sure hope the new 3.6.11 kernel is more stable as I didn't have a very good experience with 3.6.7 either... I better make sure to keep that October release.

dknute

Re: 2012-12-16 Raspbian

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Okay, I did some extensive SD card testing and it seems to have developed bad sectors around 2.8GB mark. Somehow these were not detected by Windows format and even worse some of these sectors are not FUBAR, just unstable.

This could be why a fresh install failed but only after expandig the filesystem, and in fact it could also be the cause of my initial crash. Sorry for the false alarm.

Return to “Troubleshooting”