SniffTheGLove

Is my Zero faulty? [solved]

Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 am

Hi,

I have been experiencing some issue with my newly delivery Raspberry Pi Zero W and being my first Pi I do not know if this is normal.

I am running Raspbian Jan 2020. If the Pi just sits there doing nothing then all is fine however when something is happening it just keeps rebooting.

Other things I have tried is clicking on Add/Remove software, and when it starts to download the lists it reboots.

I don't know it it's a power issue but I am running on a 5v 2.4A output power supply, I then tried a 5v 3A power brick and then an Apple Charging mains plug but still the same happens ie do something and it reboots.

I have tried doing an "sudo apt-get update" but as soon as I select Y the screen goes blank, then I get this 4 colour screen then the Raspbian logo, then eventually back to the desktop.

fd_

Re: Is my Zero faulty?

Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 am

This does sound like a power issue, but it’s a bit curious you’re seeing it on a Pi Zero (W), which usually doesn’t have very high requirements on the power supply. Do you have any peripherals connected to the Pi? Did you try to use a different cable from the power supply to the Pi? Does the kernel log (dmesg command) contain any error messages after a successful boot?

SniffTheGLove

Re: Is my Zero faulty?

Tue May 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It was the cable!!! I tried another USB cable and it works fine, so that old lead is now in the bin.

Thanks

fd_

Re: Is my Zero faulty? [solved]

Wed May 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Great to hear you found the culprit!

Return to “Troubleshooting”