Rcayot

USBstops working with Adafruit Metro board running Arduino IDE

Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 am

I keep having trouble with my RPi 4b when trying to develop programs using Arduino IDE.

Here are some symptoms:
1. Occasionally my mouse and or keyboard stop working. Most of the time unplugging the bluetooth adaptor from USB will clear the issue, but sometimes I have to reboot.
2. When I DO have to reboot, there are messages in the console, that disappear when reboot continues.
3. Most of the time these problems happen when the Arduino sketch is having trouble finding the USB port.

All in all, what I would like to do is drop out of the gui, and take a look at the errors, and perhaps reset the ports without rebooting.

I guess, I need to know how to leave the Debian desktop, and there is nothing in the terminal window if I open that.

Lastly, is there a way to reset USB ports?

Roger Ayotte

ejolson

Re: USBstops working with Adafruit Metro board running Arduino IDE

Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 am

Rcayot wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 am
I keep having trouble with my RPi 4b when trying to develop programs using Arduino IDE.

Here are some symptoms:
1. Occasionally my mouse and or keyboard stop working. Most of the time unplugging the bluetooth adaptor from USB will clear the issue, but sometimes I have to reboot.
2. When I DO have to reboot, there are messages in the console, that disappear when reboot continues.
3. Most of the time these problems happen when the Arduino sketch is having trouble finding the USB port.

All in all, what I would like to do is drop out of the gui, and take a look at the errors, and perhaps reset the ports without rebooting.

I guess, I need to know how to leave the Debian desktop, and there is nothing in the terminal window if I open that.

Lastly, is there a way to reset USB ports?

Roger Ayotte
Try typing the command

dmesg

in a terminal window to display all the kernel message since boot.

Return to “Troubleshooting”