tpleighton

4B not booting correctly

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm

I have set up the raspberry pi 4B but cannot seem to connect to the HDMI monitor. I am using NOOBS which boots up nicely on the 3B with the same monitor. I cannot find anything in the troubleshooting posts to aid me in diagnosis. The green light flashes accordingly to all known configurations.

DaveCooper

Re: 4B not booting correctly

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi tp. When you say
I am using NOOBS which boots up nicely on the 3B
, you don't mean that you pulled the sd card out of your Pi 3B and plugged it into your Pi 4B, do you? If so, that could be your problem. When you boot a new image, your os automatically does a bit of configuring, and maybe an SD card that's configured for your 3B won't actually run your 4B. Try a fresh install?
It's possible that I'm completely wrong in my explanation - I'm happy to be corrected - but that's my best guess. If it was a fresh install anyway - ok, I don't have an explanation. Dave

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm

There are 2 HDMI ports to plug your monitor into.
Make sure you plug it into the socket next to the USB-C power socket, furthest from the 4 USB sockets & ethernet socket.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

tpleighton

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:07 pm

Let me clarify, all images are for the 4B, they just happen to boot up on the 3B. I am more than aware of the differences between the 4B and the 3B.

For the Raspberian OS the green lights indicate no known error condition, both HDMI ports have been connected or only the HDMI 0 port.
For the Ubuntu Core the screen displays noise as in there seems to be a resolution incompatibility. Again no known error codes being flashed by the green led.

Let us all presume that the file system is FAT32 on all of the following sd cards: 8GB, 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB. I have used the Raspberry Imager to erase, format, and install onto the sd cards.

On the 4B, I attempted to boot with a fan and a camera, without a fan but with a camera, and without both the fan and the camera with the same results.

My monitor is a Samsung TV/Monitor model T24E310ND and there are no known available updates to the firmware. So my thoughts are that one of the following is occuring: an HDMI error condition, a power supply issue, or a hardware issue. My question to the forum is are any of my thoughts correct, if so which one or if there are further diagnostic steps, or is there a solution? I am aware that I might have missed something on that proverbial checklist or that I have ventured down the rabbit hole. Any assistance is appreciated.

tpleighton

Re: 4B not booting correctly -RESOLVED

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:44 pm

The resolution was to hook the Pi 4B to another TV/monitor. This indicates that the original monitor/TV is not in the configuration file.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:08 pm

tpleighton wrote:
The resolution was to hook the Pi 4B to another TV/monitor. This indicates that the original monitor/TV is not in the configuration file.
Nor would I expect it to be unless it had been explicitly declared/added manually. Raspbian Buster, whatever the Pi, attempts to obtain the display requirements from the TV/display's EDID info. after parsing. For a P4B, which, in the latter stages, can use a different "driver type" than for a P3B (by default) that can result in different behaviour - largely associated with the "tail" of a default /boot/config.txt :

Code: Select all

pi@raspiP4B4b-32GbP:~ $ tail /boot/config.txt
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
enable_uart=1
As you can see above "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" is commented out for all Pi's except the pi4 . However, if you need specific display settings for a number of "named" diplays (the name reported from the edid by tvservice) you can add other "conditional filters". See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... itional.md
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

andrum99

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:46 pm

tpleighton wrote:
That's not how it works. Computers, including the Raspberry Pi, query the monitor/TV for information about how best to set up the display. Most of the display hardware on the Pi 4 is different to previous models of Pi, and the firmware (and software) is still having problems fixed. There is most likely a way to get the Pi 4 working with your other monitor/TV, but it will take a bit of experimentation with settings.

Return to “Troubleshooting”