kickfliph

RPI4 and Noobs

Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just got my RPI4 and it's working fine, I want to say that I bought it only with official parts like the power supply, case, keyboard, and mouse. I install the noobs for the first time and it works fine but now I can't access the menu to select the OS anymore, it was working but now I can see the rainbow and then it jumps to LAKKA because it was the last OS I had selected before the menu just stop showing. I read the documentation explaining the exclusion of noobs and RPI4[1], however, I have tried to recreate the installation but what I'm getting is just the rainbow and nothing else, Also I'm using different SD cards and following the instructions to format it using the software[2], but even so no different result. At this point, I believe I have tried all options possible but I'm ending in the same place, please can you show me some lights I really like to have this noobs menu back.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
[2] https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

fruitoftheloom

Re: RPI4 and Noobs

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 am

kickfliph wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Hello Everyone,

I just got my RPI4 and it's working fine, I want to say that I bought it only with official parts like the power supply, case, keyboard, and mouse. I install the noobs for the first time and it works fine but now I can't access the menu to select the OS anymore, it was working but now I can see the rainbow and then it jumps to LAKKA because it was the last OS I had selected before the menu just stop showing. I read the documentation explaining the exclusion of noobs and RPI4[1], however, I have tried to recreate the installation but what I'm getting is just the rainbow and nothing else, Also I'm using different SD cards and following the instructions to format it using the software[2], but even so no different result. At this point, I believe I have tried all options possible but I'm ending in the same place, please can you show me some lights I really like to have this noobs menu back.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
[2] https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

Start afresh and us PiNN if you need access to multiple operating systems:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574#p942282
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:38 am

When the first rainbow screen disappears after first powering on, you should get a Raspberry logo in the middle of the screen. Under it is a message that says something like "Press SHIFT for recovery". When you see the Raspberry logo, Repeatedly press the Shift key until you get the NOOBS recovery menu. If you do nothing, then it will boot into the last chosen OS.

Have you only installed Lakka? If you had installed multiple OSes, then you would be presented with a list of OSes to boot from. But as you are not getting this menu, it sounds like you have only installed one OS.

If you want to install more than one OS, you must do them at the same time, otherwise you have to wipe your card and start again.

(PINN is compatible with NOOBS but has a number of extra features - and more choice of OSes - that help you out).
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

kickfliph

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm

When the first rainbow screen disappears after first powering on, you should get a Raspberry logo in the middle of the screen. Under it is a message that says something like "Press SHIFT for recovery". When you see the Raspberry logo, Repeatedly press the Shift key until you get the NOOBS recovery menu. If you do nothing, then it will boot into the last chosen OS.
I'm able to see no screen showing no message, just the rainbow for a few seconds and then it's going to Lakka.
Have you only installed Lakka? If you had installed multiple OSes, then you would be presented with a list of OSes to boot from. But as you are not getting this menu, it sounds like you have only installed one OS.
No, in the same SD I have Raspbian and LibreELEC along with Lakka (let's call this SD_1), it's very weird just one day it stops showing the OS menu. I have others SD cards, I try to install noobs in a new fresh installation and I'm ending with the same result (SD_2), in (SD_3) I have installed only Rasbian using the image Rasberry application and it's working fine, the only difference between SD_1 and SD_3 is the time showing the rainbow screen, in the SD_3 with Raspbian only its shows for a very short time going to Raspbian very fast, Question: it's possible that the menu it's just not showing but working somehow?
If you want to install more than one OS, you must do them at the same time, otherwise you have to wipe your card and start again.
Yes, I believe its what I did for this SD_1; format--> download noobs_lite--> install following the instructions---> run, after that I was able to see the menu and download and install the other OS.

Let me try with PINN let me see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help.

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:20 pm

What colour is the top left corner of your rainbow square - Red or Magenta?
It's possible you have your HDMI lead plugged into the wrong socket. it must be the one next to the USB-C power socket (farthest from the 4 USB sockets).

Or do you have a file called `autoboot.txt` on your NOOBS partition? This will skip NOOBS and directly boot any partition specified by its `boot_partition` parameter.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

kickfliph

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 pm

What colour is the top left corner of your rainbow square - Red or Magenta?
It's possible you have your HDMI lead plugged into the wrong socket. it must be the one next to the USB-C power socket (farthest from the 4 USB sockets).
It's Magenta, as I said if I change any of my SD cards it will work, I'm not touching the HDMI cable so, for now, the video source is correct.
Or do you have a file called `autoboot.txt` on your NOOBS partition? This will skip NOOBS and directly boot any partition specified by its `boot_partition` parameter.
I can find no file named "autoboot.txt"

$find /media/myuser/mmcblkX -name autoboot.txt

kickfliph

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Well, I found something very interesting, using my SD_1 and still showing the rainbow screen I just press "up arrow" in my keyboard and then "enter" I was able to get in Raspbian :-) maybe I'm wrong but looks like a bug to me, the menu screen it's not showing but the rainbow screen and blind going up and down using my keyboards I'm able to login to the other OS.

Something is wrong with my Rasberry? also, it can be possible but I'll wait for you to share with me your thoughts.

Thanks for all your support.

Regards,

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:22 pm

You have the HDMI in the wrong socket. Change it to the other and it will work with everything.

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Explanation: noobs only works on hdmi-0.
Raspbian and other OSes will work on either hdmi-0 or hdmi1.
On startup, hdmi-0 has a red square in top left corner. Hdmi1 has a magenta square

kickfliph

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:01 pm

OOOOOOhhhhh men!, :D that's why they call us NEWBIES!!! Ha hahaha. Thank you, everyone, I really appreciate all your help, it's working fine now.

Return to “Troubleshooting”