petercrosskey

Pi2+ First NOOBs install hit by power cut %-(

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:04 am

I've just got a refurbished Pi2+ with a NOOBs SD card. I was about 10-15 mins into a full installation of Raspberry Debian when we had a power cut. I don't think it fried the SD card, since I've been able to erase it with the Mac disk utility to give a single FAT32 MS Dos partition. (I downloaded the SD card formatter, but it's an Intel version, not a Universal Binary, so it wouldn't install. There was no option to download a legacy version.)

I downloaded the NOOBs zip file, copied the contents on to the SD card, read the instructions file and tried restarting the Pi. Error message about not being able to resize a partition, run "scandisk". I looked for scandisk in the Mac's terminal and I drew a blank when I requested the man page. If more partitions are needed, I've already got the disk utility open. Disk utility will let me set up partitions in FAT32 and Unix formats, but I just wiped the SD card as a single MS Dos partition at the first time round.

I've just pulled a known good 16GB Sd card out of my phone, which I've backed up, wiped and I'm formatting it with a single Unix partition. Then I'll copy over the NOOBs files and get some shuteye. It may work, although the format took a while. By the time I log back on, I'll have tried 2 sd cards, FAT32 and Unix with the noobs archive. If I can get the Pi up and running, all well and good, if not, I'll be looking for other ideas. I don't believe there's much to go wrong with these units, is there?
Regards,
Peter

RGJ-PI
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi2+ First NOOBs install hit by power cut %-(

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:21 am

Give the new Raspberry Pi card imaging tool a go. There's a version for mac available.
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/imager/imager.dmg

petercrosskey

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 am

Thanks for the download link: I've downloaded it, but it won't install on my Mac, which is a G4 running 10.4.11. My replacement known good micro sd card is now Unix formatted but doesn't raise a flicker on the screen. My guess is that the Pi sees just a collection of executables with no particular structure.

To get a bootable card, I think I've got to unmount the volume and use the terminal to issue a copy command that requires a degree of accuracy and detail that I don't have right now. I've got to do better than just remember the disk ID and mount point. I know enough about sudo commands on shell scripts to know that there isn't an undo feature.

The original NOOBs micro SD card still opens a screen with the error message about file allocation tables that don't match. Given that I don't have scandisk, can anyone suggest a shell script that will run on a 10.4.11 version of the terminal? I'm at a disavdantage here, because I don't know what scandisk would do to solve the issue, so I can't generate alternative solutions with a shell script (On Thursday I got a book on Unix in my version of Mac OS, but I haven't read it yet).

So I've got the NOOBs ZIP file and a folder with the expanded archive, one Unix formatted sd card, one FAT32 sd card and I want to get one of them to boot a Pi2+. I think a shell script is probably my best chance, so I'll get reading my Unix book.

Regards

Peter

procount

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:04 am

On the noobs SD card that suffered the power cut, edit recovery.cmdline and add 'runinstaller' to that single line.

That should get NOOBS to repartition the SD card so you can start again.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

petercrosskey

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you, that's brilliant, I'll do that!!

Happy days.

Regards,

Peter

petercrosskey

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
On the noobs SD card that suffered the power cut, edit recovery.cmdline and add 'runinstaller' to that single line.

That should get NOOBS to repartition the SD card so you can start again.
Not sure that is going to change anything. The complete file already reads as follows:
runinstaller quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline sdhci.debug_quirks2=4
The runinstaller command is already present and seems to have a full complement of settings. Is there anything else in this file I need to change? Looks pretty solid to me: I'm not minded to mess around with parameters I don't understand.

Are there any other auto-executing files that might be relevant?

Should I revisit the media? If I unmount the volume and use a shell script to copy the contents of the NOOBs archive to the card, will that change anything? (apart from adding lines to my forehead) (G4 Mac running 10.4.11; I downloaded the imager software which does not support my pre-Intel platform)

Regards,

Peter
Objectivity is not what you think it is.

procount

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Sorry, after re-reading your posts, I had skipped over the fact that you had already wiped it:
since I've been able to erase it with the Mac disk utility to give a single FAT32 MS Dos partition.
So if you've re-copied the noobs files back to the card, then 'runinstaller' would already be there (it is deleted once it has been booted properly).

But you are saying when you boot this card with NOOBS on it, NOOBS is failing to partition the card. This could be for a number of reasons (the formatting & partitioning tools can be a bit picky), but a common solution is to try formatting it in a digital camera and then try copying NOOBS back onto it again. Formatting the card as a Unix partition will not work. It must be FAT32 (or FAT16 or FAT12). And it must use an MBR partitioning scheme (not a superfloppy or GPT, but these are not the default options for an SD card such as yours)

You might be better off just trying to flash an image directly to the SD card instead of using NOOBS.
As well as the new Raspberry Pi Imaging utility, there is the older Balena Etcher tool that might work better on your Mac.
Failing that you could resort to the basic cmdline Unix tools of dd or cp to transfer the image to your SD card (But I don't know enough about the Mac to know what the SD card device would be called to help here. Just make sure you copy it to the correct device as it could trash your hard disk if you choose the wrong device! That's why Etcher would be a better bet).
In any case, you would have to flash the Raspbian image directly to the card, so it means downloading that image from the RPF website first. You cannot flash NOOBS in this way because it is a zip file of files, not an image.

If you really want to use NOOBS, another way to format your SD card is to use Etcher or dd to flash an empty FAT32 partition image that you can find on my github here ->https://github.com/procount/fat32images. then you can copy the NOOBS files to the card and boot. That might fix the partitioning issue you have :man_shrugging:
Of you could flash my pinn-lite image (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/f ... ip/ownload) using Etcher or dd directly, which is like NOOBS only with more features (like backup & restore etc) and more choice of OSes.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:11 pm

petercrosskey wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 am
Thanks for the download link: I've downloaded it, but it won't install on my Mac, which is a G4 running 10.4.11. My replacement known good micro sd card is now Unix formatted but doesn't raise a flicker on the screen. My guess is that the Pi sees just a collection of executables with no particular structure.

To get a bootable card, I think I've got to unmount the volume and use the terminal to issue a copy command that requires a degree of accuracy and detail that I don't have right now. I've got to do better than just remember the disk ID and mount point. I know enough about sudo commands on shell scripts to know that there isn't an undo feature.

The original NOOBs micro SD card still opens a screen with the error message about file allocation tables that don't match. Given that I don't have scandisk, can anyone suggest a shell script that will run on a 10.4.11 version of the terminal? I'm at a disavdantage here, because I don't know what scandisk would do to solve the issue, so I can't generate alternative solutions with a shell script (On Thursday I got a book on Unix in my version of Mac OS, but I haven't read it yet).

So I've got the NOOBs ZIP file and a folder with the expanded archive, one Unix formatted sd card, one FAT32 sd card and I want to get one of them to boot a Pi2+. I think a shell script is probably my best chance, so I'll get reading my Unix book.

Regards

Peter

The PiImager is for x86 CPU Architecture Macs, which have been around for 15 years, the G4 is PowerPC Architecture..

You may have trouble unzipping on an ancient Mac G4

If you have an Android Smartphone this may solve your issue of creating a fresh SD Card:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=170856
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:13 am

petercrosskey wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:04 am
...refurbished Pi2+...
Say what?

petercrosskey

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Thank you to everyone who shared their wisdom while I was trying to get my Pi up and running. The idea of using a digital camera to format an SD card is inspired and worked perfectly, once I started using the built-in card reader on my wife's Intel Mac. USB card readers work fine on my G4, but were probably a factor in the constant faulty media error messages I kept getting on the Intel machine. All I've got do now is upgrade the power supply and get rid of the yellow thunderbolt. I know there's an official power supply and why it's worth every penny...

Thanks again,

Peter
Objectivity is not what you think it is.

procount

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:47 pm

Ah yes, the type & size of SD cards is often overlooked when having such formatting/booting problems.
It is important that your SD card reader (USB or otherwise) is suitable for the type of card you have.
Many older PC/laptop built-in readers may not be adequate.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Capacity for the possible variations.
These days nothing less than an SDXC compatible card reader is preferred.
Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Return to “Troubleshooting”