ConkSMASH

RP4 Install Raspian, Then No Video

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 pm

So I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a few days now with no success. I'll try to keep this short and to the point. here it goes:

Got the desktop kit, loaded up noobs, installed raspian full desktop. goes to 100%, restarts (rainbow, 4 raspberries) then no video out of HDMI 0 or 1. green light flashes until then, then it goes away when the video does.
Tried a different card. Tried reformatting and just downloading straight raspian buster on there. tried the bootloader (worked) then retry everything again to same result. tried different monitor (lg tv and aoc monitor). Tried editing the config file to remove the hashtags on the few hdmi lines and changing the one value from 4 to 9.
I'm using macOS catalina 10.15 for everything. (wouldn't be surprised if thats somehow the problem.)

I'm clearly missing something stupid here. I've tried hunting the forum and internet for something worded similarly to this but can't seem to find it. Not trying to spam the forum.

Any help or links to a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Re: RP4 Install Raspian, Then No Video

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:06 am

ConkSMASH wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 pm
So I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a few days now with no success. I'll try to keep this short and to the point. here it goes:

Got the desktop kit, loaded up noobs, installed raspian full desktop. goes to 100%, restarts (rainbow, 4 raspberries) then no video out of HDMI 0 or 1. green light flashes until then, then it goes away when the video does.
Tried a different card. Tried reformatting and just downloading straight raspian buster on there. tried the bootloader (worked) then retry everything again to same result. tried different monitor (lg tv and aoc monitor). Tried editing the config file to remove the hashtags on the few hdmi lines and changing the one value from 4 to 9.
I'm using macOS catalina 10.15 for everything. (wouldn't be surprised if thats somehow the problem.)

I'm clearly missing something stupid here. I've tried hunting the forum and internet for something worded similarly to this but can't seem to find it. Not trying to spam the forum.

Any help or links to a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Power Supply ?

How are you creating the SD Card, is your SD Card Reader SDXC compatible ?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

procount

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 am

If you get the 4 raspberries (and often some scrolling boot text) followed by a blank screen, then a commona cause is often that the new vc4_(f)kms drivers are not working well with your HDMI monitor. This is often due to different parsing of the EDID data from your monitor, or the use of a default 1366x768 (or thereabouts) resolution.

What is the default resolution?

Try editing the config.txt file. Change or add the following settings:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=28
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

Or you could try commenting out the fkms driver.

If that works, you can change the mode values to get a more suitable resolution, and when you get to the desktop, use the screen resolution tool to set an appropriate resolution.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

ConkSMASH

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:06 am
Power Supply ?

How are you creating the SD Card, is your SD Card Reader SDXC compatible ?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
So this was the desktop kit, so the card and the power supply were supplied and Pi Branded.

Return to “Troubleshooting”