rgvraspi

Suddenly unable to boot Linux yet boots RISC OS fine

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden I cannot boot any Linux OS image yet it will boot and run my RISC OS SD Card without any problems? I have already looked over the troubleshooting etc at http://elinux.org etc.

It seems that I can no longer boot any Linux Image (that were fine before) yet I can still boot from a RISC OS SD Card. This is on a previously fine 512MB Raspberry Pi. The same SD card that wouldn't boot (a Sandisk Ultra 8GB) in this, boots fine on my 256MB Raspberry Pi. Yet I have tried re-imaging from known working images to either this card or a Kingston 8GB SD card and the Red Power LED glows without so much as a flicker from the Green LED.

The last thing I did with my Pi today was an update/upgrade to whatever the latest updates are and was trying to transfer a photo via Bluetooth when the Desktop froze. I waited to see if would 'unfreeze' but realized that pulling the power was going to be the only option. I mention this in case there is a connection, although why it would affect another known working 8GB card is beyond me.

That is when it wouldn't boot. I naturally thought I had corrupted the card, so used my other working SD card to re-image from a known working copy of Raspbian but still no Dice. Even Arch Linux will not boot now.

I thought about imaging RISC OS onto the card to see if the card would boot with this, but remembered it doesn't seem to work with 8GB cards. We'd already tried that before even on a friends Raspberry Pi.

I am baffled as to why it now has a problem with booting Linux and not RISC OS. If it hadn't have booted from the RISC OS card I would've assumed my device had simply died for good.

I even tried the bootcode.bin replacement which didn't work. This didn't surprise me though as I would've thought I'd have had problems booting before now.

The fact that it boots RISC OS at least gives me hope, but what on earth would now suddenly make it not even attempt to boot Linux?

rgvraspi

Re: Suddenly unable to boot Linux yet boots RISC OS fine

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Update. I decided to burn the latest 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian image to the Sandisk Ultra 8GB SD Card and a 2GB Kingston card I had. Doesn't boot with the Sandisk, but now successfully boots into Linux with the 2GB card.

Seeing as the RISC OS SD card was also 2GB, I am hoping this doesn't suddenly mean my 512MB Raspberry Pi has an addressing problem and won't recognize anything above 2GB :(

rgvraspi

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Ok I successfully booted with a generic Sandisk 4GB and another Kingston 8GB I had in a Camcorder. So I guess my fears were unfounded. I just have to find out why I am suddenly unable to use my original cards with the same images even though they worked perfectly up until now. I always used the SD Card formatter from sdcard.org so I would hope there shouldn't be anything left behind to cause a problem.

I wonder what the 512MB Raspberry Pi could've done to those SD cards to prevent them from booting?

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I ran into this a week ago, and I went to reburn the OS (Raspbian-Wheezy) to the SD card.. So, i went to wipe the SD card.. on a Win-7 PC.. It would only format just a small portion.. I tried to use Administrative-computer Management, and it showed a good chunk of the space was occupied and unable to delete the partition. I finally was able to wipe the card down, by booting the PC off a flassh drive in the USB port, using a copy of Ultimate Edition UBUNTU linux, and delete the partitions through Disk Utility.. (it actually showed as an unknown partition type.) then re-format the entire SD card blank..

Once I reburned Raspbian, it worked again, but was very weird.

rgvraspi

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 pm

I used the sd formatter which I would think would solve that problem. I even did the longer overwrite option. I can write the image fine. I even tried some of the various 'fixes' I have found by searching around such as replacing various boot files, but none get so much as a glimmer from the Green LED yet I imaged another 8GB Kingston as I said, and success.

So something happened in such a way that my 512MB Raspberry Pi is unable to recognize these cards. I don't know if the cards themselves are messed up (yet they boot fine in the 256MB one) or some firmware got corrupted on the Pi itself in such a way as to make it not recognize those particular cards anymore. A head scratcher for sure.

rgvraspi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm

It seems my Sandisk Ultra 8GB died. I guess it was in the process of dying when the Raspberry wouldn't boot from it, as soon it was only recognized by an external card reader and not my PC card reader or a Digital Camera. Perhaps my 256MB Raspberry Pi was just able to read the card at the time and the 512MB no longer was able to do so. This is also the first time I have ever had a memory card fail!

I was using my Kingston 8GB but as the Sandisk seems to have better random writes I decided to go out and buy a basic Sandisk 8GB from Radioshack as they currently have them on sale.

Here is where I came across my second problem which, upon searching the forums others have come across too. Even though I had made a backup of the SD card image I could not copy it back to either the Kingston or this new Sandisk as it complained it was too big! Seems the Sandisk Ultra had a few more bytes space.

I already knew that SD cards varied slightly in size, but didn't think it would actually cause problems with image restoring. Still there is nothing on the backup that can't be redone. I just restored the old image to a 16GB Lexar USB flash drive instead and have inserted it into the Raspberry Pi so I can access the partition and copy any necessary items across :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”