julezparker

kodi doesn't work on RPI 4B.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:50 pm

So after many years of developing with NodeMCU boards I finally took the step into Raspberry PI.

got an RPI 4B from my uncle.

I've installed libreelec with kodi using the supplied windows installer tool. I've used an 8GB micro SD card. put into the rpi and started it. resizing: done! everything worked fine. it booted. BUT I can't install any addons. I have internet access, an IP is assigned successfully and I can connect with the RPI app or SSH.

But I can't install any addons. they show up, there's a long list. when I click on install it shows the dependenies info thingy and I click install again. but then a popup message appears in kodi on the upper right saying "Installation failed". I've googled my butt off and can't find any solution. I've clean formatted the sd card and installed again downloading the image file again. problem remains. I'm controlling it via CEC remote btw. right now I'm just fed up with Linux again xD I mean it's a stable release and I've followed all instructions correctly. it's an official widely used device. and it just doesn't work lol. linux.. 😅

Rascas

Re: kodi doesn't work on RPI 4B.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:24 pm

What does the log says?

LTolledo

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:02 pm

mine works on my RPi4B-4G with Raspbian Buster Desktop version,
and also tried it on the RPi4B-2G (image cloned from RPi4B-4G system).

....and I dont install addons..... no need for it. ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

TideMan

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Have you tried the new image burning utility:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... g-utility/

It works perfectly burning Buster directly to an SD card.
There's an option to burn Kodi - though I haven't tried it.
Might be worth a try.....
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

dustnbone

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 am

I can confirm that latest LibreElec runs well on Pi4B2. Extremely well as a matter of fact. Just flashed it to a 16GB uSD (with dd), popped it in and booted it. Installed Youtube and Twitch addons without issue, watching Youtubes now.

Something else is wrong here.

julezparker

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm

dustnbone wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 am
I can confirm that latest LibreElec runs well on Pi4B2. Extremely well as a matter of fact. Just flashed it to a 16GB uSD (with dd), popped it in and booted it. Installed Youtube and Twitch addons without issue, watching Youtubes now.

Something else is wrong here.
good for you. it doesn't work for me tho and I'm using the exact setup that is supplied by the official installer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:28 pm

Need to know exactly the problem. From your post is appear that it installs OK and runs, but you cannot install addons? Do any kodi features excluding add ons work? Can you play back anything?

I am not sure how Kodi add ons work, but is it possible the ones you are trying to install are X86 versions?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

DarrenHill

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:23 pm

The addons are generally python and/or xml, and are platform agnostic (with a few exceptions which needs specific stuff for a given OS, making the addon OS specific).

A Kodi debug log will give a lot of information - details on how to obtain one are in the link below. Upload it to a suitable pastebin site and provide the link to it, then it can be analysed to give more information:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file

Return to “Troubleshooting”