I3odybag

Custom Splash Screen

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 pm

I am new to Raspberry Pi and purchased a RP4 for a project at work to use as a kiosk. I am having a issue trying to get the custom splash screen to work. I had a hard time finding instructions for a RP4 in order to get this working. I started with using the lastest version of Raspbian Lite and then followed the instructions on the page below. When the system boots up all I get is a blank screen which is a step in the right direction over the lines of boot up text. But the custom screen does not display when the system is booting up.

I tried to do some troubleshooting from what I could find in the comments on the youtube video for the instructions and found the following two commands. When I run these commands the Custom Splash screen shows up on the screen as I want it. That leads me to think the file is in the correct location. Anyone able to help? This is for a work project and I'd like to be able to get it to work properly.

sudo plymouthd
sudo plymouth --show-splash

https://wiredzero.com/kiosk

Botspot

Re: Custom Splash Screen

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Good instructions to try here, though they may be outdated: https://scribles.net/customizing-boot-u ... pberry-pi/
Have you enabled the splash screen in sudo raspi-config?
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

I3odybag

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Most of the instructions that were on the scribles.net page were already done on the page that I linked to earlier. I am just not sure if the problem is the fact I am trying this on a raspberry pi 4 versus most of these instructions are written for previous versions of the raspberry pi. Will that make a difference. As I mentioned I am new. But I have been able to get the system set to static ip, disable wifi, boot up chromium in kiosk mode. The only part I am having issues with is with the custom splash screen.

Botspot

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:46 pm

Have you enabled the splash screen in sudo raspi-config?
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

I3odybag

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 pm

Yes I went into the config GUI and went to
Splash Screen and enabled it.

I3odybag

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 pm

So I wasn't making any progress with the previous option to work properly. So it was suggested by someone to try a different process for getting the splash screen to work. I was able to get the splash screen to work now using the below website. But now when the system boots I get the following actions. Is it possible to get the splash screen to stay up longer or possibly through the part where the cursor is blinking in the top left corner?

cursor in top left
custom splash screen just for a split second
cursor in top left corner

Current cmdline.txt

Code: Select all

console=serial0,115200 console=tty3 root=PARTUUID=738a4d67-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait splash quiet logo.nologo plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0
If I remove the part that says "plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles" then the splash screen stays up and doesn't go away at all. The RP4 never launches the chromium browser.

https://shop.sb-components.co.uk/blogs/ ... spberry-pi

hondaman900

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 am

Did you ever resolve this? I have the same issue, and am not making any progress, despite many hours trying many recommendations. I cannot disable the rainbow screen, nor remove the Raspberry Pi restore screen, and my custom splash screen displays for just a split second. I'd like it to last longer as the Pi boots.

Any solution?

I3odybag

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:40 pm

hondaman900 wrote:
Did you ever resolve this? I have the same issue, and am not making any progress, despite many hours trying many recommendations. I cannot disable the rainbow screen, nor remove the Raspberry Pi restore screen, and my custom splash screen displays for just a split second. I'd like it to last longer as the Pi boots.

Any solution?
Hondman900,

I ended up finding a different topic on here that worked for me. I was able to get the rainbow screen to go away and get my splash screen to stay up basically till the machine was booted up completely. It has been awhile since I did this so it is kind of fuzzy but the following topic should help.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=251746

DarkElvenAngel

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:52 am

I3odybag wrote:
hondaman900 wrote:

Any solution?
Hondman900,

I ended up finding a different topic on here that worked for me. I was able to get the rainbow screen to go away and get my splash screen to stay up basically till the machine was booted up completely. It has been awhile since I did this so it is kind of fuzzy but the following topic should help.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=251746
Just wanted to add in here that linked topic is a little old I helped out with it and if you want something more current check out this topic as well viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276545

Return to “Troubleshooting”