jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Issues since kernel got updated to 4.19.93

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 pm

@rosioara

We would be interesting in getting the failing device back for testing. Can you contact [email protected], quoting JamesH, and we can discuss return and recompense via email. Thanks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

rosioara

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:16 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 pm
@rosioara

We would be interesting in getting the failing device back for testing. Can you contact [email protected], quoting JamesH, and we can discuss return and recompense via email. Thanks.
Sure, very happy to help!

benny360

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello,

i had the same Issue. I use a RP4 - 4 GB as Nextcloud Server. This week I updated it with: apt-get update & upgrade. Since the Update no usb was working.

Thank you for your Thread I updated back the firmware to sudo rpi-update 4b2c270 and now everything is working again.

@RP-Team - I think there is anything wrong with the current firmware and the current Repository for RP4 - 4GB. I also tested another (new) RP4 - 4GB I ordered in a store near me.

I installed Raspian Lite - all USB are working. Then I made Update & Upgrade and after restart not working.

Thank you

Papier

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:19 pm

FYI I have got the same issue since kernel update solved using over_voltage=1

andrum99

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Interestingly, for me the update to 4.19.93 may have fixed a minor problem I had with the previous (64-bit) kernel: sometimes when my 2-way ZFS mirror was under very heavy load I would get a couple of UAS errors (which ZFS coped with fine). On 4.19.93 I've nt seen that yet, although it has only been under very heavy load once during the nightly backup last night.

lpsw

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 am

Rosioara,
Thank you for your response.
In my case, if I connect the mouse and keyboard directly to the Pi4, all is good (with no changes to config.txt),
Only when I use the USB switch.
I tried over_voltage=1, but no joy.
FYI, I received the Pi4 on 1/20/2020.
Cheers

Edit: oops sorry reponded to wrong post :roll:
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

mamer999

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Similar to me. Pi 4 2GB, bought around October / November? in Germany. Yesterday (26.01.20) "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software" (26.09.19) installed and update / full upgrade carried out. After the reboot, the keyboard / mouse (directly connected) work for 3-5 seconds, then no reaction. The Pi 4 works perfectly with other, somewhat older SD card images.

jamesh

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Can anyone seeing the issue with the USB not working/being erratic, try the following

Edit config.txt, add

over_voltage=1

If that doesn't work, please try

over_voltage=2

thanks for any reports back. Would be useful to get a handle for how many people this works.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

rpiapdn

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm

External spinning disk (4T, bus powered) - worked perfectly prior to latest updates, works again with over_voltage=1 (also works with force_turbo=1).

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm

I also have been having problems since the update.

My RPI4 4gb has had boot failures ever since update. If I put that SD card in my RPi3 it works without a problem. I've tested several SD cards with fresh installs but in every case as soon as I upgrade it fails boot and freezes.

Code: Select all

apt full-upgrade

Reverting back to a previous version with this seems to have worked.

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 4b2c270 
Last edited by JumpmasterRT on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4gb Raspberry Pi 4 | Kernel = 4.19.93-v7l+ | Raspbian Buster with PIXEL on a 128gb SD card | Logitech Wireless M/K = MK-320

jamesh

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:06 pm

JumpmasterRT wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm
I also have been having problems since the update. My RPI4 4gb has had boot failures ever since update. I can put that SD card in my RPi3 and not have a problem. I've tested several SD cards and fresh installs but in every case as soon as I do apt full-upgrade it fails boot and freezes.
Did you try to workaround from my previous post?

xxxyyyzzz

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

I also had the USB not working problem on a RPI4 4GB and "over_voltage=1" solved the problem (I also added "ssh" to boot partition but dont know if that is important)
Best regards

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm

jamesh wrote:
I did not since I could never boot far enough to determine if mine was the same problem. Reverting back to a previous kernel did fix it (so far so good)
4gb Raspberry Pi 4 | Kernel = 4.19.93-v7l+ | Raspbian Buster with PIXEL on a 128gb SD card | Logitech Wireless M/K = MK-320

jamesh

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:05 pm

JumpmasterRT wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm
jamesh wrote:
I did not since I could never boot far enough to determine if mine was the same problem. Reverting back to a previous kernel did fix it (so far so good)
Won't be a permanent solution as you will no longer get any upgrades to anything.

Stick the SD card in another computer, edit config.txt and add the required line.

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
Won't be a permanent solution as you will no longer get any upgrades to anything.
Even if I distro-upgrade etc?
Stick the SD card in another computer, edit config.txt and add the required line.
What if mine is a different problem?

davidcoton

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm

JumpmasterRT wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm
jamesh wrote:
Even if I distro-upgrade etc?
If you upgrade to get fixes, you will get the upgrade that causes you (and some others) a problem. Until RPT get enough information to fix the problem.
What if mine is a different problem?
It won't hurt. You don't have to keep that setting if it doesn't solve the problem. Since you currently have a working system, you don't even need another computer to try the fix.
Signature retired

chaotikos

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Similar issue RPI4 4G bought on August. I updated to the latest version and at the same time I updated VL805 to 00137ad (with rpi-eeprom-update). After reboot my external HDD and xpad stopped working after a couple of minutes. I initially though that the issue was occurred from the updated VL805 so i reverted it back to 00137ab but it didn't fix the issue. At the end placing the over_voltage=1 in config.txt fixed it.

As a side note my HDD which is constantly connected to my RPI4 (it is auto mounted during boot) started behaving strangely after the update. Connecting it to an Ubuntu PC was constantly unmounting and remounting (dmesg was reporting some bad sector issues). Same behavior on a Windows PC. Running chckdsk from windows (because its format is NTFS) reported and fixed some issues which eventually fixed the mounting-unmounting issue. Now it works fine in my Raspberry. I don't know if it has anything to do with the above problem.

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
That worked. However, any ideas why mine wouldn't boot through like the others? Also, could this have caused an issue where some, not all, devices stopped working intermittently? I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo that will stop responding randomly. Simply unplugging the dongle and reinserting it has always worked. The problem has never affected my USB Storage devices though.
davidcoton wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm
If you upgrade to get fixes, you will get the upgrade that causes you (and some others) a problem. Until RPT get enough information to fix the problem.

I wasn't planning on doing another upgrade until we hear about the release with a fix. The way I understood him was that with this method of downgrading it would somehow disable the ability to upgrade. :lol:
It won't hurt.
That's what I really wanted to know. ;)

davidcoton

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:00 pm

JumpmasterRT wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:48 pm
jamesh wrote:
That worked. However, any ideas why mine wouldn't boot through like the others? Also, could this have caused an issue where some, not all, devices stopped working intermittently? I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo that will stop responding randomly. Simply unplugging the dongle and reinserting it has always worked. The problem has never affected my USB Storage devices though.
Maybe that is exactly the sort of feedback RPT want. A bit ironic -- improve one thing, break something else, and in fixing that make yet another set of problems go away. Par for the normal software engineering experience, I suppose.
Signature retired

jamesh

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 pm

The more people who test and find the the over_voltage fixes the USB boot issue, the more sure we are of what is going wrong. We haven't got a device that exhibits the problem here, so have asked someone above to send theirs back. After testing, this will get stuck on a test rig to ensure future updates don't exhibit the same issue - it's clearly an edge case issue with voltage, either the SoC or the USB chip (I'm not looking at it so not sure), so always useful to have edge case devices in the test suite.

pmneo

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:31 pm

over_voltage=2 and force_turbo=1 solved my usb issues too.

It had also problems with the internal wlan0, which was dropping tcp packets. This seems to be fixed too with those settings ...

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm

jamesh wrote:
The more people who test and find the the over_voltage fixes the USB boot issue, the more sure we are of what is going wrong.
So this is actually a boot issue? Is there a log where this would have been written to and if so where? I'd like to recreate the issue and compare the log entries.
We haven't got a device that exhibits the problem here, so have asked someone above to send theirs back. After testing, this will get stuck on a test rig to ensure future updates don't exhibit the same issue - it's clearly an edge case issue with voltage, either the SoC or the USB chip (I'm not looking at it so not sure), so always useful to have edge case devices in the test suite.
If you'd like another to test, let me know. I'd be happy to swap mine out as well.

jamesh

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm

JumpmasterRT wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm
jamesh wrote:
The more people who test and find the the over_voltage fixes the USB boot issue, the more sure we are of what is going wrong.
So this is actually a boot issue? Is there a log where this would have been written to and if so where? I'd like to recreate the issue and compare the log entries.
We haven't got a device that exhibits the problem here, so have asked someone above to send theirs back. After testing, this will get stuck on a test rig to ensure future updates don't exhibit the same issue - it's clearly an edge case issue with voltage, either the SoC or the USB chip (I'm not looking at it so not sure), so always useful to have edge case devices in the test suite.
If you'd like another to test, let me know. I'd be happy to swap mine out as well.
It's a power issue that is preventing the USB device from starting up, I think.

JumpmasterRT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm
It's a power issue that is preventing the USB device from starting up, I think.
Could the USB startup failure halt the startup processes altogether? My issue was that it would never finish booting and never showed any error scripts after the 4 berries, it just went black and the green ACT light would stop blinking.

This is interesting. :D

mamer999

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:05 pm

Added over_voltage=1 and it works.

Return to “Troubleshooting”