mcmanuf

RPI4 - usb-storage VS uas for Seagate USB3 HDD - hdparm and speed

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi,

It seems I cannot win in this case, due to the inherit seagate flaw in their external drives controller.

I have 2x seagate USB3 harddrives, one 2,5inch-5TB and one 3,5 inch - 4TB.

The problem is I would like to be able to use the hdparm tool to control sleep etc. At the same time I would like to be able to utilize the maximum usb3 speed on the RPI4 usb3 ports.

1) If all is default (uas drivers loaded), I get over 100megabyte/s write/read from both drives which is great.
However hdparm cannot communicate with the disks, due to the notorius buggy seagate implemetation US_FL_NO_ATA_1X

If i write fx

Code: Select all

hdparm -y /dev/sda
I get

Code: Select all

/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
So the hdparm tool is not able to communicate with the Seagate controller due to buggy linux driver communication
Read more here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commi ... 0243ecf2f1
And here:
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SAT-with-UAS-Linux
From above:
"As mentioned on the USB devices and smartmontools page, in certain situations the Linux "uas" driver disables SAT transfers, which prevents smartmontools (and other tools, e.g. hdparm) from communicating properly with the attached SATA device. See related tickets for examples.

This is because the Linux kernel rejects SAT ATA pass-through commands for certain devices with broken pass-through support. This list of devices affected depends on the kernel version, and may include​all Seagate enclosures,​Initio INIC-3069 and​VIA VL711."

2) If I enable usb quirks, then the hdparm commands work perfect.
However the drive transfer speed is reduced to approx 22megabyte/s which is not accepable for usb3 transfers.

Can I have both, or is it impossible ????? USB3 speed and ability to control sleep og hdd via HDPARM? Or I can only have one of these????

Very frustrated with this issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting”