drbrown

Rpi4-4G Buster - why is LibreOffice suddenly so laggy

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Recently bought an Rpi4-4G to upgrade from my Rpi3.

The Pi4 uses the latest version of Buster with LibreOffice 6.1 and the Pi3 runs stretch with LibreOffice 5.2.

Compared to the Rpi3, LibreOffice Calc on the Pi4 is very laggy in response to new or changed cell entries (2-3 seconds). It's very noticeable - and very disappointing!

I've spent a lot of time searching for solutions to this to no avail. Is this a case of the old adage "software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster"? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

drbrown

Re: Rpi4-4G Buster - why is LibreOffice suddenly so laggy

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 am

It appears to have something to do with graphics settings.

My spreadsheet has about 1000 rows and 30 columns. Scrolling from top to bottom using <ctrl> up/down arrow, the spreadsheet display refreshes quickly if the window is narrow, displaying only a couple of columns. Resizing the window wider to expose more columns, the response time gets much slower. At full screen with most of the columns displayed, it takes ~4 seconds to refresh.

Interestingly this does not happen on the same file on the Rpi3 under LibreOffice 5 - there is no dependency on the number of columns shown or the width of the window.

I've tried playing with Common->Cache->GraphicManager TotalCacheSize and ObjectCacheSize settings but they don't have any effect.

I feel there's a magic setting somewhere that should give me the snappy response I'm used to. Any hints ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

gkreidl

Re: Rpi4-4G Buster - why is LibreOffice suddenly so laggy

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 am

You could try to run the RPi 4 without the 3D graphic driver.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Troubleshooting”