timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I have seen these adapters works for many people and i cannot seem to get an ip address from it.
First i installed the lite version and enabled ssh, then i tried doing an metwork scan to get the IP adress and found nothing. The light on the network adapter blinks. Do i do something wrong?. I checked my router too but i dont see any new ip's.

MrEngman
Posts: 4051
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

What is the output from commands

Code: Select all

uname -a
lsusb
Did you configure your wifi connection to connect to your AP.

You need to set up file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf like:-

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
    ssid="Your-Network-Name"
    psk="Your-Network-Password"
}
Change the country code, GB, in line country=GB to the country where you are.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm

I think you mis understood . it is an RJ45 Micro usb dongle like the one in the link

https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/usb-micr ... 6ZEALw_wcB

pcmanbob
Posts: 9724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:18 pm

timmy65 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm
I think you mis understood . it is an RJ45 Micro usb dongle like the one in the link

https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/usb-micr ... 6ZEALw_wcB
Have you got more than one of these connected to your router ?

They often all have the same mac address which causes the router not to see the second one when its connected.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:18 pm
timmy65 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm
I think you mis understood . it is an RJ45 Micro usb dongle like the one in the link

https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/usb-micr ... 6ZEALw_wcB
Have you got more than one of these connected to your router ?

They often all have the same mac address which causes the router not to see the second one when its connected.

No this is my very first raspberry Pi Zero and don't have another one of those adapters, or another device happens to have the same MAC address but that would be very unlikely.

MrEngman
Posts: 4051
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:27 pm

timmy65 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm
I think you mis understood . it is an RJ45 Micro usb dongle like the one in the link

https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/usb-micr ... 6ZEALw_wcB
Yes, you're right I did, sorry.

I have a Pi Zero running Raspbian Buster using one of these https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb- ... an-adaptor and it is currently connected to a TP-Link TL-SG108E Gigabit switch.

Just connected it to the Pi and it worked. Useful as it includes a 3 port USB hub.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:31 pm

MrEngman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:27 pm
timmy65 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm
I think you mis understood . it is an RJ45 Micro usb dongle like the one in the link

https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/usb-micr ... 6ZEALw_wcB
Yes, you're right I did, sorry.

I have a Pi Zero running Raspbian Buster using one of these https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb- ... an-adaptor and it is currently connected to a TP-Link TL-SG108E Gigabit switch.

Just connected it to the Pi and it worked. Useful as it includes a 3 port USB hub.


MrEngman

Yeah i have the same version of Raspbian. Not sure what to do next.

pcmanbob
Posts: 9724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm

So if you look at the router port what LED's are lit , does it show any traffic ?

Have you tried another LAN cable and router port.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm
So if you look at the router port what LED's are lit , does it show any traffic ?

Have you tried another LAN cable and router port.
Yes green light on the router is lit, and the red light on the adapter is on aswell. already tried another port but not another cable. Going to try another cable tonight.

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Well i just tried another cable, and this sadly did not work. Still no IP given to the PI Zero

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 pm

I just checked the webpage of my Router and says that the port where i connected it to is UP aswell but it did not give out any IP adresses.
Maybe the Ethernet dongle is faulty?

pcmanbob
Posts: 9724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:08 am

So the next question is does you pi zero actually boot ?

can you connect a display to it to see if it boots..
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:08 am
So the next question is does you pi zero actually boot ?

can you connect a display to it to see if it boots..
Yes, i already had connected it to a screen , booted up normal and it show the login line.

pcmanbob
Posts: 9724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 pm

So if you connect a keyboard along with the screen can you post the output of these commands

Code: Select all

ifconfig
lsusb
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:33 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 pm
So if you connect a keyboard along with the screen can you post the output of these commands

Code: Select all

ifconfig
lsusb
Problem is i only have 1 port free and that port is used by the ethernet adapter. i ordered a male usb to female usb mini and thats coming in the mail tomorrow then i can try it again with a keyboard attached.

pcmanbob
Posts: 9724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Then you need a USB hub , that will allow you to connect both the keyboard and the USB Ethernet device, as you will need both connected when ruining the commands

I would suggest a powered USB hub with its own power supply.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

timmy65
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi zero micro usb ethernet dongle problem

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:50 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Then you need a USB hub , that will allow you to connect both the keyboard and the USB Ethernet device, as you will need both connected when ruining the commands

I would suggest a powered USB hub with its own power supply.

Yeah i already got an USB hub waiting for a connector for the USB Ethernet device as its a micro USB connector.

Return to “Troubleshooting”