cwebster

Pi 4B (x2) no video output

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Got a Pi 4 for Christmas. I consider myself a Pi newbie, but I do have a Pi 3 running as a Kodi box.

ROUND 1:

Flashed the latest Libreelec to a 64Gb card and no video.

Moved to a 16Gb card, formatted and copied NOOBs to it. NOOBs appeared to work (partitioned and renamed the card), but no video.

Flashed Buster to the 16Gb card and, again, no video.

During the above, I tried 2 monitors, 2 video cables, read everything I could find about no video and/or no booting. The Pi appeared to be booting with "normal" LED activity, plugging in wired network showed activity, etc., just no video.

I was so convinced I had a bad Pi, I returned it and got another one.

ROUND 2:

Using the 16Gb buster card and only power and video plugged into the new board... no video. What are the odds of getting two bad boards?

Got my Pi 3 and my 16Gb buster card worked perfectly in it.

I dragged and old TV from the closet and, finally, got an image from the Pi 4. It's 640 x 480 (16 colors), jerky scan lines everywhere. Plugged in keyboard, mouse and network and everything worked fine (except for the horrible video). Tried changing resolutions, but that did nothing and no other monitor I have will show anything.

Any ideas? I'll be testing the video cables later today.

Thanks.

wildfire

Re: Pi 4B (x2) no video output

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Assuming only one monitor, you are connecting to the Micro HDMI port nearest the PSU input, yes?
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

rpiMike

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:52 pm

Did you use Noobs to get Raspbian or flash Raspbian direct to the sd card with Etcher?

cwebster

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm

@rpiMike...I flashed Raspbian with Etcher (Noobs wouldn't show any video to follow instructions).

@wildfire... Yes, HDMI0. HDMI1 has a "rainbow", if that helps.

The cables worked fine at a friends.

Still working through config.txt to see if I can get something to work properly.

Thanks.

ejolson

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 pm

cwebster wrote:
@rpiMike...I flashed Raspbian with Etcher (Noobs wouldn't show any video to follow instructions).

Still working through config.txt to see if I can get something to work properly.

Thanks.
Good luck with the configuration. In theory you need override the EDID auto detection and manually specify the video mode needed by your monitor. The VC6 used on the 4B is new and can have trouble with monitors that work fine with the VC4 on the 3B.

After you get it working, it is possible the Raspberry Pi engineers would benefit in knowing what the EDID readout was and what mode actually worked.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:51 pm

What are you using for a power supply?

Are you using a direct micro-HDMI>HDMI cable or an adapter?

How was the Pi4 connected to the TV that worked (other than the crappy picture)?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

cwebster

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 pm

ejolson wrote:
cwebster wrote:

Thanks.
Good luck with the configuration. In theory you need override the EDID auto detection and manually specify the video mode needed by your monitor. The VC6 used on the 4B is new and can have trouble with monitors that work fine with the VC4 on the 3B.

After you get it working, it is possible the Raspberry Pi engineers would benefit in knowing what the EDID readout was and what mode actually worked.
You're starting to get into a little Greek with me here, but I'm guessing that overriding the EDID is what I'm doing when "playing" in the config.txt file. Here's where I've gotten, so far, in config.txt...

- None of my monitors will show anything (No Signal) unless hdmi_force_hotplug=1 is active (uncommented).

- One monitor (a Dynex HDTV) shows a very crappy picture with hdmi_force_hotplug=1 active. My other monitors (2 Dells and a Samsung) act like their getting a signal, but don't display anything. I guess the Dynex isn't as picky.

- My previous post about only getting 640x480 was my error as hdmi_safe=1 was still active.

- Using hdmi_group, hdmi_mode and the config.txt documentation (very well done, I must say), the Dynex will go into its supported modes, but all with the same "crappy" picture quality.

- Using config_hdmi_boost has no visible effect.

Thanks for the help!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm

cwebster wrote:
ejolson wrote:
cwebster wrote:

Thanks.

You're starting to get into a little Greek with me here, but I'm guessing that overriding the EDID is what I'm doing when "playing" in the config.txt file. Here's where I've gotten, so far, in config.txt...

- None of my monitors will show anything (No Signal) unless hdmi_force_hotplug=1 is active (uncommented).

- One monitor (a Dynex HDTV) shows a very crappy picture with hdmi_force_hotplug=1 active. My other monitors (2 Dells and a Samsung) act like their getting a signal, but don't display anything. I guess the Dynex isn't as picky.

- My previous post about only getting 640x480 was my error as hdmi_safe=1 was still active.

- Using hdmi_group, hdmi_mode and the config.txt documentation (very well done, I must say), the Dynex will go into its supported modes, but all with the same "crappy" picture quality.

- Using config_hdmi_boost has no visible effect.

Thanks for the help!
What models are the DELL's, we have a number of Dell monitors here that all work fine, would be useful to compare model numbers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:08 pm

cwebster wrote:
You're starting to get into a little Greek with me here, but I'm guessing that overriding the EDID is what I'm doing when "playing" in the config.txt file.
Adding hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080 to config.txt tells the Pi to not use any EDID data from the monitor, which can be helpful when trying to manually configure it.

Still wondering what you are using for a power supply?

And, are you using a direct micro-HDMI>HDMI cable or an adapter?

cwebster

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:08 pm
cwebster wrote:
You're starting to get into a little Greek with me here, but I'm guessing that overriding the EDID is what I'm doing when "playing" in the config.txt file.
Adding hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080 to config.txt tells the Pi to not use any EDID data from the monitor, which can be helpful when trying to manually configure it.

Still wondering what you are using for a power supply?

And, are you using a direct micro-HDMI>HDMI cable or an adapter?
ACK... It appears my reply to you didn't post (my fault and apologies).

The power supply and HDMI cables are from a Smraza kit. One is a direct cable and the other is an adapter (paired with an HDMI cable that I know works).

The monitor connection is a little interesting in that the Dynex monitor (only display that will show anything) goes direct to a HDMI input while my other 3 monitors require a HDMI>DVI adapter. I know the adapter works, but it is another "link" in the video chain.

UPDATE: I've just ordered a 3rd Pi4; this time with "official" power supply, "official" HDMI cable, and a different HDMI adapter. In a couple of days, I will have (at least) two of everything and should be able to reliably reproduce results with various combinations/configurations.

Thank you to everyone for the ideas and help. I will post my results here when I can reproduce success or failure between configurations.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Each adapter in the link will cause some losses, so going with the adapter heavy route of micro-HDMI>HDMI adapter to HDMI cable to HDMI>DVI adapter is the least ideal. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed failure, but if you are having trouble, eliminating adapters is a good place to start.

The config_hdmi_boost= setting supposedly doesn't work on the Pi4, but there have been several reports of it helping, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The micro-HDMI>HDMI adapters I'm using are from Monoprice (Product # 7603). I ordered them years ago for a convertible Ultrabook I used to have (Yoga 2 Pro), and they work well on the Pi4 (I also have some direct micro HDMI cables from them). Monoprice used to be the go-to place for cables, but their reputation has gotten a bit sketchy in recent years.

Some HDMI-DVI adapters don't pass ground through, which affects Raspberry Pi computers because they usually don't have grounded power supplies. However, since you say your Pi3 works, this may not be your problem. I have a couple of HDMI-DVI adapters that work with my Pi computers. One is a generic adapter with no brand name (pictured below), the other is a Monster Cable brand that was given to me.
HDMI-DVI.jpg
HDMI-DVI.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 840 times

If I remember, I'll give the dual-adapter + HDMI cable a try on our old Samsung monitor and report how that goes.

ASCII8BiT

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm

try the composite video out. And make sure it's turned on in config.txt

rdillard5

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:18 pm

I have what sounds like same issues and am suspecting bad board as it did come up once with bad video then went out and has never come back. also have tried raspian image with etcher, and tried on 16GB SD instead of the 64gb that ordered with. This is my first trip into the Raspberry Pi world and is not giving me much reason to continue but would like to get something from my investment. curious if I should have any type display (rainbow pattern) or does it have to be booted to something before display will come up?

If any ideas would be appreciated.

I have now been able to build SD with Ubuntu Server and able to SSH to it and perform several operations but not a Linux based person so so trying to get any video drivers to it has not been successful but would think that I should be able to display same shell to HDMI output. Should I be going with probable video output defective. Have tried to perform same functions to create image with raspian but suspect ssh may not be enabled by default???

HawaiianPi

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:26 pm

rdillard5 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Have tried to perform same functions to create image with raspian but suspect ssh may not be enabled by default???
That's correct.

Make a file named ssh (or ssh.txt) on the small FAT32 "boot" partition of a Raspbian SD card to enable SSH at boot time. The file can be empty, the contents don't matter (only the presence of the file is required). When Raspbian finds that file it will enable SSH and delete the file.

HawaiianPi

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:39 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:20 pm
If I remember, I'll give the dual-adapter + HDMI cable a try on our old Samsung monitor and report how that goes.
I just gave the dual-adapters method a try.

This particular combination worked for me (4 Raspberries, resize-reboot message, then boot to the the Raspbian desktop).

I also tried my old Raspbian card with the 64-bit kernel and multiarch support, as well as several tweaks in config.txt, including manual resolution settings for 1080p (for VNC with no monitor). The manual settings were apparently ignored in favor of the EDID data from the monitor, since it came up at its proper 1440x900 default resolution.

pikolo

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I have the same issue with an old Samsung TV (the only HDMI device i had access to). I have a PI 3 that works with that TV without issues so when i connected my new PI 4 B (normal HDMI cable that works + new adapter) and the TV could not detect any signal i got quite desperate, also thinking my PI was broken.
The first thing i tried after i found this discussion, was setting hdmi_safe=1 in the config.txt and luckily a 640x480 image showed up. There were a lot of vertical red lines during the boot up, but on the desktop the image was ok.

Thanks for the hints, i would not have guessed that HDMI is so error prone.

ejolson

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:16 pm

pikolo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:54 pm
Hi Guys,

I have the same issue with an old Samsung TV (the only HDMI device i had access to). I have a PI 3 that works with that TV without issues so when i connected my new PI 4 B (normal HDMI cable that works + new adapter) and the TV could not detect any signal i got quite desperate, also thinking my PI was broken.
The first thing i tried after i found this discussion, was setting hdmi_safe=1 in the config.txt and luckily a 640x480 image showed up. There were a lot of vertical red lines during the boot up, but on the desktop the image was ok.

Thanks for the hints, i would not have guessed that HDMI is so error prone.
In my opinion, the HDMI standards were complicated by commercial interests that pushed them away from being sensibly engineered in various ways. The most obvious of these is the fact that the connector has no locking mechanism. This was apparently done in order to create a distinction between consumer-grade reliability and the interlocking connectors used to carry SDI video signals. The mandated DRM encryption protocols are another case.

In the past, many other brands of SBCs required a kernel recompilation in order to work at a video resolution other than 1920x1080. While the video drivers for the Pi have always been more flexible, it appears the 4B is less polished.

One idea is that Raspbian use safe mode at first boot and then offer the choice to switch video modes as part of the initial setup. This would avoid people thinking their Pi was broken because of parsing errors in the EDID configuration. On the other hand, Murphy's law implies there will be some monitors that work with EDID but not in safe mode.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:54 pm

ejolson wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:16 pm
One idea is that Raspbian use safe mode at first boot and then offer the choice to switch video modes as part of the initial setup.
In my (admittedly limited) testing, the Pi 4B works fine detecting monitor settings. Even with a manual configuration for my default 1920x1080p monitor in config.txt (for headless VNC), it read the EDID data from an old Samsung DVI monitor, with adapters on BOTH ends of the HDMI cable, and set the correct 1440x900 resolution.

I suspect there are other issues in play here. Bad adapters or cables, weak power supplies, monitors or televisions with funky EDID data, or some combination of those.

Trollenator

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Total nOOb here but I had problems getting video working on the Pi 4B I just picked up yesterday. Turned out to be dead simple.

I'm using a 21" LG monitor that only has DVI and VGA connections. The VGA is connected to my old XP Pro desktop and I used an adaptor like HawaiianPi pictured above to connect the Pi to the DVI.

No joy. I didn't know exactly what the LEDs were supposed to do but figured the blinking green one meant activity like the HD LED does on PCs.

I thought that as long as the computer was off then I could leave both plugs in so I could leave the Pi off and use the computer, shut it down and switch to the Pi. Nope. As soon as I removed the VGA connection the screen lit up and presented me my first glimpse of NOOBS. nOOb meets NOOBS. ;)

I'm just wondering if it isn't something simple like that. Another video cable plugged in or proper video source not selected on TV units?

I'm already thinking of replacing my PCs with this wonderful little machine and getting a 2nd for experimentation and further learning. I'm now an old age pensioner who needs brain stimulation and this new hobby ought to do it. Typing this on an old Micro$oft wireless keyboard running on my new Pi!

Good luck
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

cwebster

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm

I want to thank everyone for the responses. It's been a ride. I got a new (the third) Pi4 with official power and HDMI. Rather than bore everyone with the details, the results are conclusive and repeatable...

The HDMI cable AND adapter that came with the Smraza kit are garbage.

To summarize, after testing two Pi4 boards with two power supplies (one official), I get...

1) Perfect operation from the official HDMI cable AND the new adapter I ordered.
2) Garbage (identical) output from BOTH Smraza cable AND adapter.

Looking at the cables, the Smraza options look physically different. I don't have pictures, but both micro-HDMI ports look different than those on the official cable and the new adapter.

In fairness, I don't think Smraza makes the cable or adapter and I do like some of their products.

Again, thank you to everyone for the help!

Trollenator

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49 pm

That old adage rings true more often than not.

You get what you pay for.

Glad it finally worked out for you.
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

Return to “Troubleshooting”