Skelingaton

Pi 4b Not Booting

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Got a Raspberry Pi 4b recently and have not been able to get it to boot. I've tried using Etcher and Rufus to flash a Raspbian Buster image to both a 32gb micro SD card and a 256gb microSD card but upon turning the Pi on I only get a black screen. I've tried both HDMI ports and different cables but my TV does seem to detect that a Raspberry Pi is connected at least.

I looked through the troubleshooting guide and checked for any EEPROM error and think that is fine as well. The green light flashes 3 times and then stops briefly before flashing 3 times again. When I insert the microSD card the green light flashes as if it is trying to read the card but eventually stops and I just have the solid red power light on.

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly. The 32gb card I've tested worked in my Raspberry Pi 3b model so I would think it should work on my Pi 4b as well. I haven't worked with Raspbian Buster before so I'm not sure if that is where my problems lie or if it is with the format of my SD cards or what. Anyone know what could be the issue causing it to not boot?

pcmanbob

Re: Pi 4b Not Booting

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi.

Have you read the pi not booting sticky ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

renice123

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Hello! Does raspberry blink three times without a memory card? Try counting three or four blinks? Do not try to alter the EEPROM (as almost all messages show, this does not lead to anything)
If there are only three LED on without a memory card, you will most likely have to return the computer to the seller. If four, then find a memory card of 8 GB or 16 GB from a well-known manufacturer and try to record the operating system on it. Some 32 GB memory cards do not work well with Raspberry 4
IMHO, this is my opinion, I could be wrong, so in any case, I wish you to earn a microcomputer!

epoch1970

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:41 pm

renice123 wrote:
Some 32 GB memory cards do not work well with Raspberry 4
Do you have a link that substantiates this? I understand bootleg SDs don’t work, but besides that, I’d be interested to learn more.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

renice123

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, just the other day I received another message about poor performance with a 32 GB memory card
As soon as the user installed 8 GB, the computer started working.
Link here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=260013
If you have not seen this tape, you can fully see it here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=248968
I even think that it makes sense to raise this thread sometimes, because errors about problems with 32 GB memory cards continue to come in and every time you have to give the same link)
As far as I was able to summarize the “32 GB card error”, it appears as follows
1. Some computers suddenly start to “freeze” (this applies to memory cards 32 GB or higher, for example, from Samsung Evo +). Freezing leads to computer reboots.
On Raspberry 3 cards work fine
2. Sometimes when loading, LED indicators can behave unusually, up to simulating a "green death LED". This is due, as some write, with card readers.
3. Most often, some 32 GB memory card simply does not load Raspberries until a graphical interface appears.
4. In some cases, some rare symptoms were encountered, but they are not so common.

As I understand it, the “32 GB disease” of memory cards is easy to check if the same memory card works on Raspberry 3 and does not work on Raspberry 4. Also, all “faulty” memory cards are successfully tested by programs.
Some time ago, it was believed that the problem of 32 GB memory cards was successfully resolved, but the messages arrived again.
This is sad for me, because I was thinking for the New Year to buy just a 32-64 GB memory card =)
I will wait for the official decision of RPI engineers

Skelingaton

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Hi.

Have you read the pi not booting sticky ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151
Yes I have read the sticky. I've checked the EEPROM (Green light flashes 4 times in a row without an SD card inserted) and followed the SD card format sticky. At this point I've tried both a 32gb card and a 256gb card and still get nothing when turning it on.

Skelingaton

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:36 am

renice123 wrote:
Hello! Does raspberry blink three times without a memory card? Try counting three or four blinks? Do not try to alter the EEPROM (as almost all messages show, this does not lead to anything)
If there are only three LED on without a memory card, you will most likely have to return the computer to the seller. If four, then find a memory card of 8 GB or 16 GB from a well-known manufacturer and try to record the operating system on it. Some 32 GB memory cards do not work well with Raspberry 4
IMHO, this is my opinion, I could be wrong, so in any case, I wish you to earn a microcomputer!
It blinks 4 times without an SD card inserted so I guess it may be the SD cards I'm using. Will a 256gb card work at all even if it is formatted to FAT32? It seems pretty ridiculous for certain 32gb cards to not work. I just don't want to have to buy another SD card especially if it is going to be one with less space than the one I had on my Raspberry Pi 3. For the record I have tried a 32gb SDHC Sandisk card and a 256gb Sandisk Extreme Pro. I have a Samsung 256gb Evo Select I could try but I figure there shouldn't be any reason I couldn't get one of the other two to work.

renice123

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 am

As I understand it, playing with large cards often becomes a lottery. This is due to the fact that large cards are faked, as well as to attempts by manufacturers to put "special controllers" in such cards. For example, on the forums, Debian complained that this fate befell Samsung Evo + and now in Linux not all cards work stably.
There is no list of “good cards” for Buster. Although yesterday I asked experienced users to report on those memory cards that work successfully. For example, yesterday I was told that 32 GB cards from Sandisk Ultra and Toshiba work without problems on Raspberry 4. On the contrary, the PNY card did not work.
Therefore, for a quick check of your Raspberry, it is preferable to put an 8 GB or 16 GB card, and then find a “reliable” 32 GB card

Yesterday, I was offered another way to "check" large-sized cards that do not start with Raspbian
It is possible that the Raspbian installer does not work correctly with 32 GB. In this case, try to put another operating system for Raspberry
Try downloading the same OS https://volumio.org/ It is stable and has fewer bugs. Moreover, Volumio loads in a few minutes, and not for a long, long time, like a terrible Buster
If you run Volumio on the problem card, then we just find out that the problem is still in the same Buster.

pcmanbob

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am

So what are you using as a power supply ?

whats the Red LED doing during the boot process ?

You say you only get a blank screen , but whats the Green LED doing, is it that your pi is actually booting but not putting anything on the screen ?

if you connect the pi to your router with a cable with a freshly download copy of raspbian lit on the SD card and you boot it like this with no screen or any thing else connected , then you look at the lights on the pi LAN port and the router port do you see any traffic ?

can you then log in to your router from another pc anf see if the pi has an IP address in the connected devices list.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

Skelingaton

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:40 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am
So what are you using as a power supply ?

whats the Red LED doing during the boot process ?

You say you only get a blank screen , but whats the Green LED doing, is it that your pi is actually booting but not putting anything on the screen ?

if you connect the pi to your router with a cable with a freshly download copy of raspbian lit on the SD card and you boot it like this with no screen or any thing else connected , then you look at the lights on the pi LAN port and the router port do you see any traffic ?

can you then log in to your router from another pc anf see if the pi has an IP address in the connected devices list.
Okay so here is what I was able to try. First, I formatted my 32gb SDHC card using the SD card format tool just to remove everything on it. Afterwords I flashed Raspbian Buster Lite which I got from the downloads section using Rufus to my card. I hooked up the ethernet cable, turned it on, and only got a black screen again.

The green LED for both the SD card slot and ethernet port are flashing as if something is happening. After a while the green light for the SD card slot goes out as if it is done doing whatever it was doing. The red LED light just stays on during this process. I realized I don't have a SDXC card reader so my 256gb cards are a no go for trying anything at the moment. For the power supply I'm using this: https://www.amazon.com/Enokay-Raspberry ... 179&sr=8-7

It is a 5v, 3A power supply which reviews have said worked with their Pi 4. I don't believe is an issue with the video connection. I've tried 3 different cables from 2 different manufacturers and the HDMI port on the TV was working as of 1 week ago when I last used my Pi 3b. It is just odd that my TV displays at the top that a Raspberry is connected yet I am getting nothing. I'm guessing at this point it is either the 32gb card issue I've read about or possibly the power supply though the tech specs say 3A is sufficient for the Pi 4b.

pcmanbob

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:45 am

So doing all this did you check to see if your pi had connected to the router and has been given an IP address ?

It could just be that your TV is not being recognised by the pi4B , if you pi is actually booting and connecting to your router then you can use SSH or VNC to sort out the problem with your TV.

Skelingaton

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
So doing all this did you check to see if your pi had connected to the router and has been given an IP address ?

It could just be that your TV is not being recognised by the pi4B , if you pi is actually booting and connecting to your router then you can use SSH or VNC to sort out the problem with your TV.
I have no idea how to do any of that. I figured since the ethernet port green light was flashing that must have meant there was traffic.

pcmanbob

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Skelingaton wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm
pcmanbob wrote:

I have no idea how to do any of that. I figured since the ethernet port green light was flashing that must have meant there was traffic.
There could well be traffic or what you think is traffic but does the pi actually get an IP address if it does then its booted and your problem is with the tv/monitor your are attempting to use not being recognised or the need for some other setting to be changed.

once you know you pi is booting then you need to enable SSH and use that to enable VNC then you can sort out your display problem.

So for the router you need to find a manual on line for it and then using the user and password credentials on the router you can log in to it and look for the attached devices page.

You may find a label on the router that gives you the IP address you need to enter in to a browser and the user/password you need to log in that's all you really need , how you get to the attached devices page should then be self evident.

Trollenator

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:05 am

I just picked up my first Pi 4 4gig with a 64gig pre-loaded SD today. Installed the heat sinks and got it in the case. Used a dongle to connect the HDMI to the DVI on the monitor and got a blank screen. Turned out I had left the VGA from a rarely used computer connected and once I removed it the screen lit up with NOOBS and it's now almost done downloading and installing Raspbian.

Just finished installing Raspbian and doing updates now.

So far so good. :)
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

Skelingaton

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 am

So after getting a 16GB card and trying that unsuccessfully I finally figured out the problem. The Pi 4 was not liking my connection to the TV. Since video seemed like the issue I just figured I would try out an old TV and see if I got video there and I did. I can guarantee that my HDMI ports are working on my other TV though. Is there a setting or some such that I can go to once I install Raspbian to get it to work on my other TV? It's a 1080p LED Sony Bravia which I would think is pretty standard.

Return to “Troubleshooting”