khg003

RPi 4 doesn't shutdown completely

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello together,

I have a very strange behaviour on my Pi4 since some weeks.
I tested with serveral images, but since few weeks, the RPi doesn't switch off the USB power and the Ethernet port after shutdown. My external HDD is still running after shutdown.
...But, in case of a reboot, the HDD will shutdown for few seconds....

I tried with two different Raspbian images, as well as with the commands:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
sudo halt
So in my opinion it must be a hardware or firmware issue. I have updated the RPi4 every few weeks to newest Raspbian.
Today I also tried to perform the "rpi-update"

Has anyone an idea, why this happens? Maybe this is part of a newer firmware? or maybe it's even possible to configure it?

...some further remark: The red light is shining continuousely (also at shutdown process and after it). In the period of the shutdown process, the green light is blinking, I guess 3-5 times.

RPi: Mod. 2B / Mod. 3B / Mod. 4B
OS: Raspbian Buster / Recalbox OS / Retropie / OSMC / Android

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: RPi 4 doesn't shutdown completely

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:00 pm

khg003 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:18 pm
...some further remark: The red light is shining continuousely (also at shutdown process and after it). In the period of the shutdown process, the green light is blinking, I guess 3-5 times.

IIRC, 10 green flashes (I haven't re-counted recently) and then the red PoWeR led remaining lit is the normal end of the shutdown sequence. After that it's safe to (physically) remove power.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

khg003

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Trev, thanks for the feedback. Do u also know, why a the USB ports as well as the Ethernet are still powered-on after shutdown procedure? It‘s a new behavior since few weeks?

Many thanks

sparkyhall

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:28 pm

The default boot loader config was changed some time ago so that the 3V3 now remains on after a system halt because some hats did not like having a 5V supply without 3V3. See "WAKE_ON_GPIO" and "POWER_OFF_ON_HALT" in the following link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md

You can change it back by following the notes at the beginning of the page.

khg003

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for the help :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”