Keyboard typing too fast...

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I just got my Raspberry Pi Model B 5 days ago, when I put berryboot on a sd card and booted up, the wireless mouse works, just that it moves quite fast, and when I typed in the wi-fi password, it typed far too many characters. What should I do?

Keyboard - Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 (note, I read on the wiki about supported keyboards and this one "works" with model B Pi)

UniversalRemonster

Re: Keyboard typing too fast...

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm super, super new to Raspberry Pi and Linux, but I believe it's because your keyboard needs drivers. They may not make them for Linux. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard that is doing the same thing to me and I believe it's the same problem. I'm trying to get a more basic USB keyboard from a friend to test this. Anybody with more experience know if this is correct?

Jord

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I was in the berryboot universal installer trying to type in the password for the wi-fi, the keyboard type d extra letters...

efflandt

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 am

I have no idea if berryboot alters anything about the normal installation. But dropped or repeated keys or dropped mouse clicks for wireless keyboards can often be fixed by adding dwc_otg.speed=1 to the end of the line in /boot/cmdline.txt. But make sure that that line remains one long line and does not wordwrap.

I had to do that for my older Logitech di Novo Edge wireless keyboard/mousepad.

pluggy

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

The Sidewinder X4 does have problems with the Pi repeating keys. I haven't tried the speed dodge on it though. It slows the USB down to 1.1 standard so it will wreak havoc with data transfer rates on USB HDDs and the like and it affects both USB ports. Its OK for low speed peripherals like mice and keyboards. Its nothing to do with drivers (not linux keyboard drivers anyhow), I'm typing this on a Sidewinder X4 on a Linux box. I'll likely incur the wrath of Jamesh (again) for saying, but its the USB implementation on the Pi.....

The Pi's USB drivers have been a work in progress since launch, and they are improving, but they're not there yet.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

drgeoff

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 pm

pluggy wrote: The Pi's USB drivers have been a work in progress since launch, and they are improving, but they're not there yet.
That's a very diplomatic way of putting it. :)

pluggy

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

If you've come across some of my exchanges with Jamesh (bless his little cotton socks) you'll understand...... ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

UniversalRemonster

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Yeah I went to Goodwill and picked up a super basic HP keyboard for $4 and it works like a charm.

Return to “Troubleshooting”