vosperd

Pi 4B with DVi or vga

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 am

I have been using my pi 3B and srd radio successfully with a short HDMI to DVi lead and a PC monitor.

I've just bought a Pi 4B wich has the micro hdmi sockets for the monitor.
Purchased a short micro HDMI to DVi male lead. This worked for a few minutes and then failed. Awating refund as the supplier has no more stock.
So I bought a micro HDMI to HDMI female to use with my original DVi lead. This combination causes the monitor to power off when booting up so still no joy. Another fauly lead or just not workable?
I wonder if anyone else is successfully using this configuration with the Pi 4.
I can't find a source of micro HDMI to male vga leads otherwise I would try that.

Any advice would be most welcome. I am trying to avoid long cables and too many plugs and sockets to keep things tidy.

I have tried the Pi with TV and the supplied HDMI lead and the Pi does work fine so no problem there.

Don. m5aky

RaTTuS

Re: Pi 4B with DVi or vga

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:50 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

renice123

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:56 am

I use the hdmi> DVI adapter and it works great on all my Raspberries.
However, I know that there are known issues related to the appalling quality of Chinese cords.
hdmi> DVI - sometimes manufacturers don’t even solder the required pins
Also, the problem may be in the non-standard resolution of your monitor.
In this case, it is recommended to log in via SSH and give the tvservise command with options
For example, I get a list of modes for the command tvservice -m DMT
https://elinux.org/RPiconfig

vosperd

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the replies.
At the moment the Raspberry Pi is sitting on the kitchen table working fine with the first lead I bought but I only have to touch it at the micro end and I lose video so it proves everything works. I guess it's a badly crimped or unsoldered pin.
With the Chinese items I know it can be the luck of the draw but in general I have had few problems.
I have ordered a similar lead from a different source and will wait to see what results I get.
i will probaly order one of the Ali Express leads in addition but not sure if I will see that before the new year.
The monitor does have a slightly unusual format. It's an old GNR with, I think, 5 by 4 ratio rather than 4 by 3 but the Pi seems to have picked that up ok.
When I buy a new monitor it will problably have HDMI capability.
I'll report back later if the new lead arrives today.
Cheers
Don
Post has just been and no lead today :(

vosperd

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm

A bit longer than I thought but at last it is up and running.
Two micro HDMI to DVI and one micro HDMI male to normal HDMI female proved faulty and awaiting refund.
In the end I purchased a Startech micro hdmi to DVI lead and although costing three times the price it works fine.
In my searches I learnt that HDMI to DVI is just a straight passive connection less the sound. HDMI to VGA requires electroncs and is directional. The wrong direction as far as the Pi is concerned.
I've been lucky with the cheap Chinese leads in the past. I guess there must be a bad batch of this particular lead, the micro end being the problem.
Don m5aky

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:01 pm

vosperd wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm
A bit longer than I thought but at last it is up and running.
Two micro HDMI to DVI and one micro HDMI male to normal HDMI female proved faulty and awaiting refund.
In the end I purchased a Startech micro hdmi to DVI lead and although costing three times the price it works fine.
In my searches I learnt that HDMI to DVI is just a straight passive connection less the sound. HDMI to VGA requires electroncs and is directional. The wrong direction as far as the Pi is concerned.
I've been lucky with the cheap Chinese leads in the past. I guess there must be a bad batch of this particular lead, the micro end being the problem.
Don m5aky
HDMI-to-VGA adapters should contain the necessary electronics but, historically, some require external power, often a spare USB port can provide that. HDMI-to-VGA cables have never been suitable for Pi use (AIUI they "expect" the conversion electronics to exist elsewhere!).
With respect to "directionality" - if that appears to be the case (ie. no DDC connection from the VGA side) that's almost certainly an issue with the "VGA end"**.
Trev.
** Eg. as with this (old) "Basic VGA Switch" : http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... cVgaSwitch
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Troubleshooting”