souper man

Im not entirely sure what happened to my raspberry pi zero W

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 am

A few days ago i got my first raspberry pi it was a raspberry pi zero W.I tried soldering headers to the zero although i was really terrible at soldering.then i put in an 8GB micro SD card and used all the right software to download raspbian to it after.Then as i tried to boot it up it didnt work (im aware the pi zero doesnt have a power LED).So i did some online research and found out that i could just plug my pi into my windows 10 pc and check if its alive.But as soon as i did so i realised my mouse and keyboard turned off, i suspected it was a short circuit so i quickly unplugged it.this is most probably a short circuit on the gpios but could it be something else like overheat due to soldering?

I would much appreciate some help....

Thanks in advance.....

fruitoftheloom

Re: Im not entirely sure what happened to my raspberry pi zero W

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

souper man wrote:
A few days ago i got my first raspberry pi it was a raspberry pi zero W.I tried soldering headers to the zero although i was really terrible at soldering.then i put in an 8GB micro SD card and used all the right software to download raspbian to it after.Then as i tried to boot it up it didnt work (im aware the pi zero doesnt have a power LED).So i did some online research and found out that i could just plug my pi into my windows 10 pc and check if its alive.But as soon as i did so i realised my mouse and keyboard turned off, i suspected it was a short circuit so i quickly unplugged it.this is most probably a short circuit on the gpios but could it be something else like overheat due to soldering?

Thanks in advance.....

When connecting to a Windows PC nothing else should be plugged into the Zero as clearly stated in the Sticky:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mattmiller

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am

When connecting to a Windows PC nothing else should be plugged into the Zero
I think they meant their Windows mouse and keyboard died on them

to OP - I think you've got a short between your 5V and gnd (most probably between pins 4 and 6)

If you can sort that out (and any other shorts) then it might still work

rpdom

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
When connecting to a Windows PC nothing else should be plugged into the Zero as clearly stated in the Sticky:
OP did not state that mouse and keyboard were connected to the Pi Zero. Indeed that would have been impossible without a USB hub. The fact the mouse and keyboard were claimed to be working beforehand suggests they were in fact connected to the Windows PC and the act of connecting the Pi Zero to the Windows PP had somehow disabled the mouse and keyboard.

A bad solder joint is a possibility.

Pictures of both sides of the soldering might help.
Unreadable squiggle

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
OP did not state that mouse and keyboard were connected to the Pi Zero. Indeed that would have been impossible without a USB hub. The fact the mouse and keyboard were claimed to be working beforehand suggests they were in fact connected to the Windows PC and the act of connecting the Pi Zero to the Windows PP had somehow disabled the mouse and keyboard.

A bad solder joint is a possibility.

Pictures of both sides of the soldering might help.

If that what the OPs convoluted post meant, then he needs a de-solder pump and remove the header pins..

This may be the answer to non soldered GPIO pin headers:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/gpio ... 5643241098

OR

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... red-header
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mattmiller

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am

This may be the answer to non soldered GPIO pin headers
JFI They are excellent if just plugging an add-on board on once and leaving it but I tried a couple of them out and the pins have a tendency to come back out with repeated use

souper man

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
souper man wrote:

Thanks in advance.....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151

i only connected the pi to my pc to see if it were alive as its stated here... (sorry if i do anything wrong im new to the forums and raspberry pi..)

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... zero-dead2

souper man

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 am

mattmiller wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am
When connecting to a Windows PC nothing else should be plugged into the Zero
I think they meant their Windows mouse and keyboard died on them

to OP - I think you've got a short between your 5V and gnd (most probably between pins 4 and 6)

If you can sort that out (and any other shorts) then it might still work
THANK YOU SO MUCH MATTMILLER.that was exactly the problem you and everyone in the forum made my day!! XD

Imperf3kt

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:55 am

You were lucky that you acted quickly.
A short between 5v and ground (in my experience) won't harm a Pi, but will draw a large current through the short which can potentially burn the traces out or cause a lot of heat that can damage something.

It also explains why plugging the Pi into your computer made your presumably usb keyboard and mouse stop working.

Good luck with future Pi use.

I would suggest investing in a multimeter if you plan to do future soldering work, real handy having a continuity checker on hand.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

rpdom

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:55 am
I would suggest investing in a multimeter if you plan to do future soldering work, real handy having a continuity checker on hand.
A multimeter is always a good thing to have. For general use even the really cheap ones from ebay are adequate. Just don't use them on high voltages as they are not really safe for that.
Unreadable squiggle

hippy

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 am

I would recommend always checking for solder shorts between header pins with a muli-meter or continuity checker. It can be laborious but better to ensure there are no shorts than see something evaporate in a puff of smoke when power is applied.

It seems you were quite lucky you had a short which meant neither the Pi or PC were damaged. Other types of shorts can be more damaging, costly, and add unwanted delay to a project.

Return to “Troubleshooting”