LucaArctos

Pi4 - 4GB (rev. 1.1) Freezes [Attempted troubleshooting]

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope that any of you will be able to provide some aid regarding the issue I have been facing ever since I bought my Pi4.
My PI4 freezes randomly, in Buster lite but as well as in normal Buster. I have tried a lot.

To keep it short:
- None of the other purchasers (>180 reviews) have experienced any issue.
- I purchased a different SD card (128GB) to exclude the issue of a broken card.
- Every rom has been flashed with Etcher.
- Have read through over 40 topics containing PI4 issue, found 1 which could be relatable.
* It has a system freezing, was fixed by manually expanding filesystem, I tried this after flashing buster lite - issue remained.
- Tried the power adapter which came with the pack but as i've seen usb-C issues - I have also tried my phone's USB-C charger. Same outcome.

The freezing occurs pretty fast. I.e. boot, login, change a few settings and the ACT light stops blimping.
Altogether - the system freezes, gui/terminal freezes, no more input is being processed.
System attachments: Internet cable, keyboard, HDMI.

Video (example of apt sudo apt update && sudo apt install snapd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdrEIJ5kSE4

I do hope that anybody has a better understanding of what is happening.
Kind regards,
Luca

renice123

Re: Pi4 - 4GB (rev. 1.1) Freezes [Attempted troubleshooting]

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

I would start looking for a malfunction with a simple step - I refused a memory card larger than 16 GB.
Try putting Raspbian on a small memory card and see if there are any positive results. Also, I would not update the system on an unstable computer.

LucaArctos

Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm

renice123 wrote: I would start looking for a malfunction with a .....(etc)
I have tried this, sadly the outcome was the same. Used a 4gb card which I found in my drawer.
Rounding up the SD cards used to: Samsung 4gb, Generic (SDHC) 32gb and a SanDisk 128gb.

Thank you a lot for your reply however!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm

LucaArctos wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
renice123 wrote: I would start looking for a malfunction with a .....(etc)
I have tried this, sadly the outcome was the same. Used a 4gb card which I found in my drawer.
Rounding up the SD cards used to: Samsung 4gb, Generic (SDHC) 32gb and a SanDisk 128gb.

Thank you a lot for your reply however!
uSDHC/XC card size is a bit of a "red herring" apart from 16Gb being, perhaps, a minimum size and some care to be taken (eg. established compatible card reader/writer) for sizes >32Gb. (Virtually all of my P4B cards are various brands of 32Gb size). I'm more suspicious of the two power supplies you've tried - more details needed. For reference and FWIW some measurements of the loading characteristics of the, mainly "official", supplies that I've had access** to (and in one case, associated connecting cable) can be found here:
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... .2FCharger
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... ne_2019.29
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... er_2019.29
I've also used this older "official" uUSB connector-based PSU + uUSB to USB-C adapter: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... ec.2018.29
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

LucaArctos

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Trev,

Thank you for your reply, I did not expect this much help so fast. It is much appreciated!
The first power adapter that I used came with the package - afraid of saying it, but the bundle came off Aliexpress (by now 4.9/5 stars, based on 136 ratings, nothing about this issue). The power adapter which came along with it can be seen on the bottom of this reply.

The second power adapter is just a generic Moto One Action USB-C charger. Both chargers always ensured the (red) power light was on the entire time.
Hope the image below will provide some form of information. At the moment i'm doubting if I should invest in an official power supply, with the risk of the pi4 keeping the same issue as seen in the video.

Thank you once more,
Luca

HawaiianPi

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 pm

I wish people would test their boards out of the box before molesting them with cheap heatsinks and such. A lot of the heatsinks sold for Pi computers have nothing more than double sided plastic tape as the adhesive, and that is an insulator. However, that shouldn't cause a complete system freeze (just thermal throttling).

1. Are you flashing with Etcher directly from the .zip download, or extracting the image first?
  2. Have you verified the SHA256 hash sum of your downloads?
  3. Have you tried connecting with SSH before the freeze, and if so, is SSH also unresponsive after the system locks up?
  4. Do you have a serial console cable?
  5. Have you tested any of your SD cards with a flash memory validation utility, such as F3, ChkFlsh or H2testW?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

renice123

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 am

It is better to use a 16 GB memory card - you can install full Raspbian on it using the dd utility. I noticed that almost all errors can be divided into several categories.

1. Errors when writing to the OS memory card. But it’s easier to write with the dd command and this will give a stable result! (For some reason, dd do not like, although it is dd that allows you to immediately avoid errors). To this we can add that after the possibility of writing to EEPROM, users feverishly began to overwrite the internal memory (why? In my experience, damage to any firmware is very rare, but an attempt to overwrite the firmware often leads to total problems).

2. Raspberries of the fourth version, apparently, has weak springs in the card reader. On some computers, this leads to unstable operation with the memory card and, of course, causes a freeze.
Some people recommend immediately “lay” thin paper or a dielectric on top of a memory card.

3. The power supply, which at the time of loading sags (voltage decreases), which also causes problems. This can be seen by stopping the glow of the red LED.
Yes, the rpi-update command loads the system a lot.
Do you always have a red LED on? Have you tried to measure the voltage on the power supply? (attention! The death of Raspberry is often caused by measuring the voltage on the GPIO, sometimes the voltmeter probes cause a short circuit and Raspberry dies instantly! It is necessary to measure the voltage of the power supply on the power supply itself - for example, through an adapter)

4. More often than not, Raspberry freezes due to Raspbian software errors. This is due to both the instability of the new OS and user actions.
For example, rpi-update is a very “long command" in itself. But it is for some reason that they are beginning to use it on problematic (possibly) computers. Chromium and sometimes network programs using NFS cause deadlocks

5. Some devices connected to USB or HAT. Sometimes a monitor with hdmi connection causes problems

6. Errors of memory cards. Memory cards are written at different speeds, most often this is the low speed of small fragments (4 K). Fake memory cards (especially large ones) or just bad memory cards are even more common.
A fake memory card when trying to write to it can cause the computer to freeze or work extremely slowly, which will also be perceived as a freeze.

Based on these errors, we can do the following.
Recording using an dd image to a memory card from 8 to 16 GB (32 GB or higher can be a problem - fakes, for example). Well, if everyone likes Etcher so much, then there is no problem =)
Then configure the system. During the setup of the system, Raspberry works fine, there are no freezes? This is a good symptom!
After this, you can do the following
Log in and try to run some programs. No need to do the potentially problematic rpi-update command! See if freezes occur. Is the red LED blinking? If everything is normal, then the problem of subsequent freezes should most likely be looked for in the memory card.
If freezes occur on a clean system, then you will have to look for a problem for a long time, starting with the fact that the memory card may not fit snugly on the contacts in the card reader and ending with another hardware malfunction

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm

renice123 wrote:
It is better to use a 16 GB memory card - you can install full Raspbian on it using the dd utility. I noticed that almost all errors can be divided into several categories.

1. Errors when writing to the OS memory card. But it’s easier to write with the dd command and this will give a stable result! (For some reason, dd do not like, although it is dd that allows you to immediately avoid errors). To this we can add that after the possibility of writing to EEPROM, users feverishly began to overwrite the internal memory (why? In my experience, damage to any firmware is very rare, but an attempt to overwrite the firmware often leads to total problems).
Use Etcher. So much easier than using DD and less prone to making mistakes.
renice123 wrote:
2. Raspberries of the fourth version, apparently, has weak springs in the card reader. On some computers, this leads to unstable operation with the memory card and, of course, causes a freeze.
Some people recommend immediately “lay” thin paper or a dielectric on top of a memory card.
Really? First I have heard about it. And I work here!
renice123 wrote:
3. The power supply, which at the time of loading sags (voltage decreases), which also causes problems. This can be seen by stopping the glow of the red LED.
Yes, the rpi-update command loads the system a lot.
Do you always have a red LED on? Have you tried to measure the voltage on the power supply? (attention! The death of Raspberry is often caused by measuring the voltage on the GPIO, sometimes the voltmeter probes cause a short circuit and Raspberry dies instantly! It is necessary to measure the voltage of the power supply on the power supply itself - for example, through an adapter)
Use the official power supply, voltage sag should not be a problem. It's also very cheap.
renice123 wrote:
4. More often than not, Raspberry freezes due to Raspbian software errors. This is due to both the instability of the new OS and user actions.
For example, rpi-update is a very “long command" in itself. But it is for some reason that they are beginning to use it on problematic (possibly) computers. Chromium and sometimes network programs using NFS cause deadlocks
More often than not? Rubbish. Buster is very stable. I've had one weird issue to do with the ethernet driver since I started using it, from before the Pi4 was released.
renice123 wrote:
5. Some devices connected to USB or HAT. Sometimes a monitor with hdmi connection causes problems
There is a very specific combination of resolution, cable and monitor that has caused wifi issues. There is also an as yet not yet fully diagnosed issue with some EDID's some some older devices - I suspect this is bad EDID's built in to the monitors - seen this as least once.
renice123 wrote:
6. Errors of memory cards. Memory cards are written at different speeds, most often this is the low speed of small fragments (4 K). Fake memory cards (especially large ones) or just bad memory cards are even more common.
A fake memory card when trying to write to it can cause the computer to freeze or work extremely slowly, which will also be perceived as a freeze.
Tru Dat.
renice123 wrote:
Based on these errors, we can do the following.
Recording using an dd image to a memory card from 8 to 16 GB (32 GB or higher can be a problem - fakes, for example). Well, if everyone likes Etcher so much, then there is no problem =)
Then configure the system. During the setup of the system, Raspberry works fine, there are no freezes? This is a good symptom!
After this, you can do the following
Log in and try to run some programs. No need to do the potentially problematic rpi-update command! See if freezes occur. Is the red LED blinking? If everything is normal, then the problem of subsequent freezes should most likely be looked for in the memory card.
If freezes occur on a clean system, then you will have to look for a problem for a long time, starting with the fact that the memory card may not fit snugly on the contacts in the card reader and ending with another hardware malfunction
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

LucaArctos

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay - was at my girlfriend yesterday (where I found a 8gb microSD in my psp :D)

@HawaiianPi - 1, 2, 3, 5

Just now I have: Checked SHA256 (2) flashed buster lite (.img) using Etcher (1), verified with H2testW (5), connected using SSH (first attempt, directly succesful). It appeared to update, but shortly after, rebooting the pi4 (and reconnecting with SSH)(3) to install rocketchat (GitHub RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.RaspberryPi) - the pi4 froze again. Could the issue somehow be related to installing apps through snap?

4. No I don't own a serial console cable.
--------------------
@ renice123

I will try out 2. Is there a more secure solution rather then a piece of paper? I've read that pi4's can get quite warm.
3 - The red light is alwasy 100% on and does not even blink during operation. Only the ACT light fully vanishes before/during system freeze & onward.
4, besides updating and trying to install something to snap - nothing has been added to the clean raspbian lite OS install.

5. I've tried to headless SSH approach, only power plug connection and the same still happened. 4 memory cards tried so far of which 3 confirmed legit store-brand cards.
-----------------
@ jamesh
1. Done, only used this tool.

2. So you would disagree to put it there?

3. I will invest for sure before running the pi4 as private small-scale chat-server (hence the 128gb microsd card). Do you think it is the rootcause of a complete system freeze?
4. N/A
5. N/A after last headless attempt
6. Would there be any other recommendation brandwise for MicroSD? The brands i've tried are Perciron, Sandisk, Samsung.

Lastly, the above tests today have been performed on the found 8gb SD yielding same effects.

Secretly still hoping for more help so that it may help me and others in the future.
Thank you all again for being so helpfull towards a newb-pi

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 pm

LucaArctos wrote:

6. Would there be any other recommendation brandwise for MicroSD? The brands i've tried are Perciron, Sandisk, Samsung.

FWIW, these are the card (brands, size ...) I've used with various Pi's since 2012: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... cards.html
(except for card "AK" which has yet to be tried).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Mike_333

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:22 am

LucaArctos wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:24 pm
Hi everyone,

I hope that any of you will be able to provide some aid regarding the issue I have been facing ever since I bought my Pi4.
My PI4 freezes randomly, in Buster lite but as well as in normal Buster. I have tried a lot.
Try this https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=249112

change network speed to 100mb

sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:05 am

LucaArctos wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies for the delay - was at my girlfriend yesterday (where I found a 8gb microSD in my psp :D)

@HawaiianPi - 1, 2, 3, 5

Just now I have: Checked SHA256 (2) flashed buster lite (.img) using Etcher (1)
Try flashing directly from the .zip archive. Some unzip utilities have trouble with the zip64 format used with Raspbian images. Etcher will extract the image while writing, saving both space and time.

LucaArctos wrote:
verified with H2testW (5)
So your card should be okay, that's good.

LucaArctos wrote:
connected using SSH (first attempt, directly succesful). It appeared to update, but shortly after, rebooting the pi4 (and reconnecting with SSH)(3) to install rocketchat (GitHub RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.RaspberryPi) - the pi4 froze again.
Not sure I fully understood that. The SSH connection froze as well?

LucaArctos wrote:
Could the issue somehow be related to installing apps through snap?
Anything outside of the Raspbian repositories is a crapshoot. It may be fine, but no one associated with Raspbian development has tested it.

Also, I know nothing about "snap" but if it's targeted at mainstream Linux distributions, it may be x86 only (Raspberry Pi is ARMhf). Are you sure it's installing software for the correct hardware architecture?

LucaArctos wrote:
4. No I don't own a serial console cable.
Too bad, they are very handy for troubleshooting (you can monitor the shell output and login without a network connection). I use inexpensive CP2102 USB-TTL adapters that can be found on eBay for less than $2 (a bit more if you want fast shipping). There are also Raspberry Pi Console cables available from most Pi resellers.

Oh, and ignore the post by renice123 as it's mostly just nonsense.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

renice123

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 am

Put a watchdog and it will help you immediately identify the cause of the error - hardware or software.

For several months now I have been using RPI4 around the clock and I see “deadlocks” (with the inability to restart the computer) about two to three times a week. I believe that this is a normal result for a microcomputer that is used as a “desktop personal computer” in a very tough mode. I compile programs, work with sound, watch videos, edit photos and so on. This is a kind of experiment, I want to understand whether it is possible to "live with a microcomputer" =)

Hangs have always been associated with Chromium, with multiple viewing of videos (this is a well-known Chromium browser problem, although it is not customary to talk about it either either =) Maybe the Chromium fanatics will kill me (this is also a joke) Not critical freezes caused me NFS, davfs and were other problems with remote file systems, freezes also caused some devices connected to the Buster
(e.g. sound card). On Jessie this is still not there, although I never used Chromium there because of a problem with swap =) Luakit works very well and only closes if it does not work correctly. But there are other problems on Jessie, so there is no perfection in the world. The Luakit browser does not hang up the system. Yes, I have several RPI working simultaneously with different operating systems, so it’s easy for me to draw conclusions.

I have never seen a freeze due to temperature overheating, although I use only copper large radiators without any fans.

You can also try installing watchdog https://linux.die.net/man/8/watchdog to try and localize software bugs that cause it to freeze. If you have a software error, then watchdog will almost always be able to localize it (forcibly restart the computer) and this will probably be the best test for a hardware or software error.
If this does not happen, then most likely you have a hardware error.

By the way, in the case of Chromium, watchdog does not help, but it seems to be related to the architecture of arm (in theory, watchdog should have worked and rebooted Raspberries when Chromium caused freezes, but this did not happen - only a physical power outage causes a reboot). In other cases, watchdog worked correctly and caused a forced restart of the computer.

Judging by what you have already done to localize the problem, you can only
contact the seller and demand to change the Raspberry (although I would also change the supplier - judging by the stories on the forum). If the other Raspberry does not work reliably, then your task cannot be successfully solved on Raspberry. It seems to me that this will be an effective solution.
Of course, you can continue to experiment and try to find a problem. And some tasks cannot be successfully solved on a microcomputer.

PS I’m not trying to put the fourth version of the Raspberry sales business, but just writing my opinion based on personal experience, the experience of some small community of my friends. Perhaps my poor English also causes misunderstanding. However, it seems to me that it is easier to write about real problems than wasting time on fixing what cannot be fixed. For example, due to the fact that Debian developers stubbornly hide the problem with pulseaudio, I had to spend almost three days to understand the obvious - this is a bad program =)
This is of course a joke, all programs have errors.
Here is part of my watchdog settings (it can be seen that the temperature of my microcomputer never rose above 60 C - I have never seen Raspberry overload due to temperature)

Code: Select all

watchdog-device= /dev/watchdog
watchdog-timeout = 15
temperature-sensor	= /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
max-temperature	= 60
realtime= yes
priority	= 1

LucaArctos

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi there again,

Thanks for listening all SD cards Trevor, the ones i've tested are also those brands but sadly do not have a different outcome.
Yesterday I did have a shortlived increase in usage - I managed to run sudo apt update & upgrade without any issues, even managed to ping google.com for an entire hour. Afterwards, during sudo snap install rocketchat-server the Pi froze again.

Ever since, i've not been able to get passed upgrade & update anymore (trying to flash directly from .zip with a fresh download, SHA verified and flashed without errors).
Left example: error/freeze trying to install rocketchat server - Right example: timeout while update & upgrade.

I even removed the case today to see impact but still resulted in a freeze. Had my hopes up since yesterday, but alas..
@Mike_333, thank you for the input, but since I've found out how to run headless - i've always connected though SSH. I don't think limiting ethernet would help, would it?

@renice, thanks for the watchdog, i'll be sure to place it in my bookmarks. I think if the device is unable to update properly, watchdog won't do much for me. Sadly the sale protection has expired so the only option left is buying a new one, which i'm rather carefull now as its quite some money. Secretly I still hope to find a solution for this issue.

Kind regards,
Luca

bjtheone

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:23 pm

If I am following your posts correctly the freezes seem to be tied to trying to install a snap package of rocketchat-server.

If you start over, a total pita I know, and install whatever flavour of Raspbian (Full or Lite) and update it, is it stable or does it freeze?

It seems to me that your issue is either with snap (not sure how well snap is supported on ARM, by Raspbian) or the rocketchat-server app itself. Taking a quick look at rocketchat I did not see a 32 bit version for debian just a 64 bit. Where are you getting the package from and are you sure it is a 32 bit version for ARM?

renice123

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:00 pm

I will venture again to provoke fire on myself and propose the following solutions. If you have such a hopeless situation, then it makes sense to experiment in the next direction.
These are experiments, and I don’t know whether such experiments can be considered justified in other cases. But it seems you might be interested in these options.

See this section of the RPI documentation.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... onfig-txt/

1. The forum recently wrote that sometimes there are problems with the settings boot / config.txt
This is due to the fact that some Raspberries are unstable with standard settings.
For example, due to the fact that all Raspberries are anyway slightly different from each other.
In particular, it is sometimes recommended to increase or decrease the voltage setting (I lowered it on one of the computers, but only because I wanted Malina to work more slowly and consume less).
Try lowering or increasing the voltage in the boot / config.txt file
These are over_voltage options.

2. Someone managed to change the behavior of Raspberries through reducing the clock frequency of the processor and GPU. Arm_freq and gpu_freq options
(I also reduced the frequency at my place and I like it, although on a normal installation my computer worked well)

3. Once I talked with a person who removed all but a few options from boot / config.txt. My friend said that this allowed him to achieve stable behavior of Raspberries. In particular, this concerned the settings of the video drivers.

And finally, you can try to "play" with the settings yourself, decreasing or increasing, changing some parameters.

OutsourcedGuru

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:50 pm

I've just started a thread which I think may be related to hdmi_blanking on the Pi 4B.

In my case, it behaves well on startup. On reboot, it turns off the HDMI output on shutdown followed by the display adapter then toggling into sleep mode. The Pi 4B then begins the startup process, sees that the display adapter is off, then blocks in this state. So it's a stand-off between the two. Once I toggle the power for the display the Pi 4B then continues to boot and everything recovers.

Noting from the documentation, the Pi 4B's driver stack hasn't been completely finished with functionality still not completed. This hdmi_blanking in one of those features and may be one of the causes of freezes during a reboot.

----

In other threads I've seen that wifi adapters for some people go into sleep mode in a similar fashion; this would cause problems for any poorly-written code which doesn't test for this.

zer0star

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 am

I have the same exact issue with my pi4 4gb. Random freezes on bone stock images of raspbian/buster. This has happened on fresh etched installs very soon after initial set-up - bone stock haven’t installed anything. Has happened before apt-get update then upgrade, and after. Not sure what’s going on but you’re not alone.

1. I only use etcher.

2. I only use the official power supply.

3. I have an ice tower installed with NT-H2 and when monitoring via watch -n1 vcgencmd measure_temp I hang right around 28-29 at idle and no more than 33-34 briefly if benchmarking with sysbench etc (the ice tower is amazing!).

4. Ethernet not wifi.

5. SanDisk ultra class 10 64gb card.

6. Other than the stock image, sysbench, and apt-update/upgrade, NOTHING has been installed on the pi4. I have re-etched several times and have had freezes at various random points with some combination of the afore mentioned changes and just light browsing use (on this site!).

As you can see very vanilla use so far of the pi4 and I’m still getting this same issue.

I could go out and grab a 16gb SanDisk ultra class 10 card but a size issue seems highly unlikely - people obviously are using all sorts of card sizes seemingly with no issue. I ordered one on Amazon just now anyway, why not.

Only other thought is maybe there’s something to the spring issue mentioned/memory card losing contact.

Otherwise either we both have a rare hardware flaw on our manufactured pis themselves, or this is an uber edge case defect (maybe race condition?) in the latest official release.

Any ideas I’m all ears. Technically within my warranty so maybe I should just swap it out? Just got this on Amazon last week :-) Cheers

bizzymizzyb

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:00 pm

I get this too. The system “freezes” with a lot of read/writes to the SDHC card. RPi4B/4G. I think it’s because the SDHC cards are slow - maybe an XQD (?) would fix it? Anyway, it’s happened a few times since I got my Pi, maybe 4 weeks ago - both the LEDs are on, as if it’s frozen. But it’s not, it’s just super slow. I’ve noticed if you give it enough time, it’ll pull out of it. Give t an hour or two next time and let us know if it woks.

edit (April 25, 2020): I've noticed that launching commands with "ionice -c 3" generally alleviates the problem. Thus, using this before a heavy compile will keep the system usable during the interim. Perhaps this can be inserted into the various .desktop files for problematic apps (e.g. chromium, idealj)? adding an external USB swap flashdrive seems to work see viewtopic.php?t=233719
Last edited by bizzymizzyb on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamesh

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm

They all sounds like they have gone into swapping hell; when they run out of memory, constantly thrashing the SD card for swap. I suspect you have a memory hogging or leaking program running.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jnob1

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:56 pm

I was using my pi4 w/o problems for months, moved from US to Europe and had similar problem. Assume my power supply doesn’t handle well 220. But, I ran top, refresh 1s and saw that freezing happens exactly every 60s. This while running > 1 hour. Recovery seems to vary between 15-20s. Any clue anyone?

Return to “Troubleshooting”