hary

SD card problem

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I'm still investigating the reason why I have problem when updating my Pi, and I'm checking my SD card.

I've checked it with f3write, f3read that reported no error at all

I've done a :
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdcard
to be sure to erase (reset) it completely

I've used gparted to make new FAT32 partition but from that, I cannot dd the buster.img correctly on it.

I must say that at one point, I couldn't format it any more, so I put it in my digital camera where I formated it and used it with no problem to take few picture and movies.

formated in the digital camera, the 1st sector was 8192
formated in my computer, the 1st sector is 2048 (or 2000 something).

It has sometime "bad superblock" output.

Is there any way to really hard/deep reset an SD card ?
I've found many info on the web but only about dd, f3write f3read, gparted. But despite none of these is reporting any wrong things, I'm still having problem with it.

DougieLawson

Re: SD card problem

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:51 pm

Toss it.

Get a fresh 32GB card and stop mucking about trying to flog a dead horse.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

hary

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 pm

I've already one on order but I wonder why I've some so many card failing.

dustnbone

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:08 pm

You shouldn't need all of those steps to write a Buster image to it.

A simple "dd bs=4M if=buster.img of=/dev/sdx" should do the job, regardless of the previous state of the card. No partitioning or wiping necessary.

If that doesn't work something is broken.

hary

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

I've just received my brand new 32Go SAMSUNG EVO Plus SD card. It's a class10, U1 FHD microSDHC UHS-1
It claims speed up to 95MB/s reading, 20 MB/s writing.

"t the back of the packaging is written : "The warranty shall be void if used for any type of surveillance systems." :shock:

I've just put it under test with f3write now. We'll see what's going on. At the present moment, the writing speed is about 8MB/s

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:44 am

hary wrote:
I've just received my brand new 32Go SAMSUNG EVO Plus SD card. It's a class10, U1 FHD microSDHC UHS-1
It claims speed up to 95MB/s reading, 20 MB/s writing.

"t the back of the packaging is written : "The warranty shall be void if used for any type of surveillance systems." :shock:

I've just put it under test with f3write now. We'll see what's going on. At the present moment, the writing speed is about 8MB/s

FYI

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2019/ ... rison-2019
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

HawaiianPi

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:29 pm

hary wrote:
...back of the packaging is written : "The warranty shall be void if used for any type of surveillance systems." :shock:
They will void your warranty for using it in a Raspberry Pi, or any other computer as an OS drive as well. SD cards were not really designed for that, and it's considered a non-standard or not intended use. There are "High Endurance" cards, but those tend to offer slower performance.

hary wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 pm
I've already one on order but I wonder why I've some so many card failing.
How many cards do you have failing?

I've had Pi computers running 24/7 for years on the same micro SD card (SanDisk Ultra A1 in my case).

Have you tried a different card reader/writer? I used to have one that worked fine for copying files, but writing images would often fail. Started using a different card reader and the problem went away.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hary

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
How many cards do you have failing?

Have you tried a different card reader/writer? I used to have one that worked fine for copying files, but writing images would often fail. Started using a different card reader and the problem went away.
I have 3 that are causing problems and I flashed them with an USB/microSD adapter.
I've no switch to my computer's SDcard slot with an SD to microSD adpater.

I've just got the following result for my new SD card 95MB/reading and 20MB/s writing :
[email protected]:/media/harold$ f3write 9016-4EF8/
F3 write 7.0
Copyright (C) 2010 Digirati Internet LTDA.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.

Free space: 29.80 GB
Creating file 1.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 2.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 30.h2w ... OK!
Free space: 0.00 Byte
Average writing speed: 7.73 MB/s
[email protected]:/media/harold$ f3read 9016-4EF8/
F3 read 7.0
Copyright (C) 2010 Digirati Internet LTDA.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.

SECTORS ok/corrupted/changed/overwritten
Validating file 1.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 29.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 30.h2w ... 1679296/ 0/ 0/ 0

Data OK: 29.80 GB (62496704 sectors)
Data LOST: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Corrupted: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Average reading speed: 20.10 MB/s
I've done the test directly in my computer SD card slot with an SD to microSD adapter. Before I was using an USB/microSD card adapter if that is of any importance.
Do you think that card is in the spec/genuine ?
It's just very slow compared to what it claims !

globiboulga666

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:51 pm
Toss it.

Get a fresh 32GB card and stop mucking about trying to flog a dead horse.
Years ago you told me to trash a brand new Samsung SD card just before somebody told me "try rpi-update" and then the problem was solved.

Also, on most card, you can use "blkdiscard /dev/mmcblk0"
This will play some TRIM commands like SSD so that the entire card is fullfilled by suits of 0 in just few seconds
This also works on SSD

dustnbone

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm

You are unnecessarily torturing the poor little card by writing it full for testing.

Just because it's rated at 95MB/s doesn't mean that your card reader is fast enough to go that quick, it's quite possibly connected to the PC through a USB 2.0 port internally in which case it will never go over 30MB/s or so. I used the same card in my phone for a while, it's a solid performer.

Like I said before, you don't need to partition, wipe, or format the card at all to use it as a Buster boot drive. Just dd the image to it, stick it in the Pi and boot. Nothing you can do prior to that will make it perform better.

hary

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:46 pm

dustnbone wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm
You are unnecessarily torturing the poor little card by writing it full for testing.

Just because it's rated at 95MB/s doesn't mean that your card reader is fast enough to go that quick, it's quite possibly connected to the PC through a USB 2.0 port internally in which case it will never go over 30MB/s or so. I used the same card in my phone for a while, it's a solid performer.

Like I said before, you don't need to partition, wipe, or format the card at all to use it as a Buster boot drive. Just dd the image to it, stick it in the Pi and boot. Nothing you can do prior to that will make it perform better.
Haven't you heard about f3 https://fight-flash-fraud.readthedocs.i ... and-f3read?

I had so many trouble with SD card that I thought it was safer to check if it was genuine card !

Return to “Troubleshooting”