Radu04

RaspberryPi public accessible over the network

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello.

I have just bought my first RaspberryPi. It is a RPi 4 Model B 4GB running Rasbian.
On the system I have already installed and configured Tomcat Server. I can access it from my private network using Pi's private ip but I can not find a solution for making it accessible over the public network.
The Tomcat server is running on port 8080 so I allowed all the traffic on this port in my UFW. I am using a D-Link Router (DIR-809 - Hardware Version: A3 and Firmware Version: 1.09) and I tried port forwarding the 8080 port to my Pi and also added a virtual server rule for the port 8080, but it still does not work.

What is the solution for making it accessible over the public network? I have attached images with the settings that I have made.

topguy

Re: RaspberryPi public accessible over the network

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 pm

but it still does not work.
How did you test it ?

https://www.canyouseeme.org/

dustnbone

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Try setting the public port to something else, your ISP might be blocking 8080.

Also make sure the Pis IP address has a DHCP reservation for that address or it could break the port forward when the Pi gets a new IP on boot.

drgeoff

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 pm

If you are testing by entering the public IP into a browser on a computer on the same LAN as the RPi server, some routers don't allow that "hairpinning". Try from another location or from a smartphone connected to the internet by your mobile carrier, not your Wi-Fi.

Radu04

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have tested it by entering the public ip on a computer that is connected to the same network but also on the "canyouseeme.org" site.
I will try to change the port to something else and come back with an answer in the following days.

Return to “Troubleshooting”