Jawikama

sabnzbdplus disappears after starting

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am

Hi guys,

Though I'm absolute nono in relation to programming etc I have a Raspberry PI installed for some weeks now and as It will be running always from now on (running Domoticz, PIhole and PIVPN) I thought it would be good to install a sabnzb program for downloading newsgroups stuff. Therefore i installed sabnzbdplus succesfully but after changing the secure options (https instead of Http) it worked for a few minutes and then it just died. There is no way to get it running again. As soon as I start it using VNC it shortly appears and then it is gone again. I removed it and reinstalled it again but is still is gone.
And also the software installation shows the same behavior so i'm not able to see what software is installed anymore.

Who knows what happened here? And what can I do to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Jawikama.

B.Goode

Re: sabnzbdplus disappears after starting

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
Jawikama wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am
Hi guys,

Though I'm absolute nono in relation to programming etc I have a Raspberry PI installed for some weeks now and as It will be running always from now on (running Domoticz, PIhole and PIVPN) I thought it would be good to install a sabnzb program for downloading newsgroups stuff. Therefore i installed sabnzbdplus succesfully but after changing the secure options (https instead of Http) it worked for a few minutes and then it just died. There is no way to get it running again. As soon as I start it using VNC it shortly appears and then it is gone again. I removed it and reinstalled it again but is still is gone.
And also the software installation shows the same behavior so i'm not able to see what software is installed anymore.

Who knows what happened here? And what can I do to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Jawikama.

As background, what is the basic Operating System supporting the various uses of your RPi board?

How did you install this latest problem application?

Have you looked at the application-specific support forum here: https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewforum.ph ... 56fb0a287b

dustnbone

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:49 am

Check the sabnzbdplus logs. I'm pretty sure they're in ~/.sabnzbd/logs by default, ~ being the home folder of the user sabnzbd is running as.

Jawikama

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks for reacting.
I've been searching for the sabnzbd map but have no idea where i can find it.

As mentioned I also have issues to go to system tools/ software installation. There the same happens. I can click on it but it does not show anything at all.
Not even a short flash of it.

I've searched for logs of any kind but did not find any. Not for sabnzbd specific and when searching in the filemanager it stays searching and then stops the file manager not being able to enter the log at all.
After some deep diving i find the following:

Nov 6 11:42:49 PiServer systemd[1]: Starting LSB: SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber...
Nov 6 11:42:49 PiServer sabnzbdplus[13349]: start-stop-daemon: user 'PI' not found
Nov 6 11:42:49 PiServer systemd[1]: sabnzbdplus.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 6 11:42:49 PiServer systemd[1]: sabnzbdplus.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 6 11:42:49 PiServer systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber.
Nov 6 11:47:03 PiServer PackageKit: daemon quit

So appearently it has issues with the user "PI" which is the default user i use and login with. The id is there but it's not working?

incognitum

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Jawikama wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am
So appearently it has issues with the user "PI" which is the default user i use and login with. The id is there but it's not working?
Beware that most things on Linux systems are CaSe SenSiTive.
So are you sure the user is called PI and not pi?

Jawikama

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm

short update:

I've managed to change the user from PI to pi (to prevent issues when userid is casesensitive)

I started SABnzbplus again and and the log now differs
Nov 6 14:10:31 PIsystem[1]: Starting LSB: SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber...
Nov 6 14:10:37 PIsystem sabnzbdplus[5254]: Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber:.
Nov 6 14:10:37 PIsystem systemd[1]: Started LSB: SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber.

SABnzbplus shortly flashes in the right corner and that is all. No further log is available. It starts and then stops doing anything.

Anybody any idea?

dustnbone

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 pm

It appears the daemon is running now, you should be able to see the Sabnzbd WebUI at https://localhost:8080 assuming you haven't changed it's default configuration.

At this point it's more a Sabnzbdplus issue rather than a Pi one, you'll probably get better support there. I haven't used Sab in years, though I previously used it quite a bit.

Jawikama

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:07 pm

When trying to connect to https://localhost:8080/ I get the error ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.
Seems that something is running but i'm not allowed to enter it.

I will see if sabnzbdplus support can help me on this. If someone up here thinks he can help me out here please do!

dustnbone

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Yeah it looks like just a config issue on the sabnzbd side. Keep in mind that localhost address will only work from the Pi itself, if you're trying to access it from another PC on the local network you'll need to replace localhost with the IP address of the Pi.

The default configuration might not allow remote connections, for security reasons. I'm pretty sure the configuration files are under ~/.sabnzbd (/home/pi/.sabnzbd in your case), you should be able to find some clues in there.

Make a backup copy before you start editing (I always say this and almost never actually do it)

Jawikama

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Dear all,

I got it working again!!
It seems to me that ever program has it files to work with. However I was not able to find any files from SABNZBDPLUS in the file manager.
even a seareach did find nothing. Then i noticed a setting "show hidden files" which i activated and there it was. logfiles etc.
After reading the log files i noticed that SABNZBDPLUS abandoned starting due to a wrong HTTPS channel number.
Also i noticed where the SABNZBDPLUS.ini files was hidden and after opening that and changing the HHTTPS number it worked again.

How did the number get there? I guess it was a type error which i saved by accident.
Anyhow it works again!

Thanks for thinking with me.

Kind Regards
Jacob

Return to “Troubleshooting”