KitchM

Lost Admin Access on Desktop

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Have Raspberry Pi Model 3 Plus. Installed latest Raspbian Lite, then installed Xfce 4.12.

Got to desktop and installed some apps, but when I try to access anything requiring admin access the password does not work. It will not work in things like Synaptic or Users and Groups from gnome-system-tools.

Did I miss something with root password?

klricks

Re: Lost Admin Access on Desktop

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 pm

KitchM wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm
Have Raspberry Pi Model 3 Plus. Installed latest Raspbian Lite, then installed Xfce 4.12.

Got to desktop and installed some apps, but when I try to access anything requiring admin access the password does not work. It will not work in things like Synaptic or Users and Groups from gnome-system-tools.

Did I miss something with root password?
Raspbian has the root password disabled by default.
Set a root password and try that:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

KitchM

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Is that the way that Raspbian is supposed to work? I hadn't had that problem before. Shouldn't Pi be added to some group to make desktop apps work without root access?

klricks

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm

KitchM wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 pm
Is that the way that Raspbian is supposed to work? I hadn't had that problem before. Shouldn't Pi be added to some group to make desktop apps work without root access?
When you install a different desktop you no longer have Raspbian. So you are basically on your own.
I have synaptic installed and -pkexec is used in the desktop entry so that synaptic starts with pi password instead of root.

synapic-pkecec
Try that from the command line.
Otherwise use sudo synaptic
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

KitchM

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Raspbian Lite is Raspbian. It has no DE and no DM, but it is still Raspbian. That's why they give it that name.

In any case, it appears that there is some hidden configuration that the full Raspbian install sets up, but Raspbian Lite does not include. That should be written down somewhere. No one wants to find an editor for the main menu and change the settings for each menu item. Surely they know that someone may use Lite as a clean setup for another DE.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=133691

It also seems that there is a divergence from standard Linux configuration. I will assume here that Pi must be added to the sudoers file. That would require using the terminal and logging in as sudo -i Enter. Then using usermod -aG sudo pi. However, after doing that programs still ask for the root password which does not exist.

KitchM

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:58 pm

By the way, the instructions at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... e/users.md do not work either.

klricks

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:10 pm

KitchM wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 pm
Raspbian Lite is Raspbian. It has no DE and no DM, but it is still Raspbian. That's why they give it that name.

In any case, it appears that there is some hidden configuration that the full Raspbian install sets up, but Raspbian Lite does not include. That should be written down somewhere. No one wants to find an editor for the main menu and change the settings for each menu item. Surely they know that someone may use Lite as a clean setup for another DE.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=133691

It also seems that there is a divergence from standard Linux configuration. I will assume here that Pi must be added to the sudoers file. That would require using the terminal and logging in as sudo -i Enter. Then using usermod -aG sudo pi. However, after doing that programs still ask for the root password which does not exist.
FYI - These are installed from Raspbian repository and likely contain most of the config changes.
I have no idea if installing these will help or hinder your situation?

raspberrypi-net-mods
raspberrypi-sys-mods
raspberrypi-ui-mods

KitchM

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Nor can I, since I have no idea what they do or are for.

Return to “Troubleshooting”