homerguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Does anyone know if headless setup (ssh file in boot) is supported on the old/original raspberry 1 model b?

I tried it on Jessie Lite with Ethernet plugged in but it doesn't seem to be joining my network. The Pi seems to boot.

I might have to try via keyboard and monitor but the whole point was to setup headless via ssh.

Thanks

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:13 am

Which version of Jessie? As I recall, Jessie did not support ssh in /boot initially (it was added later).

Jessie is end of life anyway, try it with the latest Raspbian Buster (or at least with Stretch).

Write the Raspbian Buster image to your SD card with Etcher directly from the .zip download (don't extract the image first), then remove and re-insert the card so you have access to the "boot" partition, and add an empty file named ssh (or ssh.txt). Ignore/cancel any messages from Windows telling you the card needs to be formatted (it doesn't).

But to answer your question directly, yes, it works on all models. I have an old model B and I have done it. I've even done a headless WiFi setup with a Raspbian compatible USB WiFi dongle and a pre-configured wpa_supplicant.conf in the "boot" partition (in addition to the ssh file).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 9627
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 am

November 2016 was the release when Raspbian Jessie moved to having SSH disabled by default, and having a marker file to enable it.


So prior to that date SSH would have been enabled by default.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 37776
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 am

What is stopping you from upgrading to Buster?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 9627
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am

homerguy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm
Does anyone know if headless setup (ssh file in boot) is supported on the old/original raspberry 1 model b?

I tried it on Jessie Lite with Ethernet plugged in but it doesn't seem to be joining my network. The Pi seems to boot.

I might have to try via keyboard and monitor but the whole point was to setup headless via ssh.

Thanks


Following up in more detail now I have more time.

Does anyone know if headless setup (ssh file in boot) is supported on the old/original raspberry 1 model b?

Nothing is supported on the board itself. It is a paperweight or ornament until it is running an Operating System.


I tried it on Jessie Lite with Ethernet plugged in but it doesn't seem to be joining my network. The Pi seems to boot.

The presence or absence of the SSH listener/Daemon will not itself prevent your RPi joining your local area network as a node running the IP network protocols. The requirements are the other way round: there has to be a working IP network connection before it is possible to attempt creating an SSH login.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 22095
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am
homerguy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm
Does anyone know if headless setup (ssh file in boot) is supported on the old/original raspberry 1 model b?

I tried it on Jessie Lite with Ethernet plugged in but it doesn't seem to be joining my network. The Pi seems to boot.

I might have to try via keyboard and monitor but the whole point was to setup headless via ssh.

Thanks


Following up in more detail now I have more time.

Does anyone know if headless setup (ssh file in boot) is supported on the old/original raspberry 1 model b?

Nothing is supported on the board itself. It is a paperweight or ornament until it is running an Operating System.


I tried it on Jessie Lite with Ethernet plugged in but it doesn't seem to be joining my network. The Pi seems to boot.

The presence or absence of the SSH listener/Daemon will not itself prevent your RPi joining your local area network as a node running the IP network protocols. The requirements are the other way round: there has to be a working IP network connection before it is possible to attempt creating an SSH login.

Yes lots of irrelevance from OP, just start with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster as it's the currently supported by RPT / RPF Operating System, and just read the excellent Help Section:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

homerguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:28 am

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I have successfully got headless to work on the latest Buster Lite release.

The problem was entirely me and it was quite the moronic mistake. I had my pi in a case and the case itself has two whole to mount onto a wall. Me being a genius, used two metal screws to mount, and the flat end of one the screws was touching a conductive part of the board which in turn made the power go a little wonky and the pi went into a infinite reboot since the power would signal on/off. This was discovered by me plugging into a monitor.

I have since replaced the mounting strategy and everything works flawless of course.

My mistake and thanks again for all the responses.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 9627
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry pi 1b headless install

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:32 am

homerguy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:28 am
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I have successfully got headless to work on the latest Buster Lite release.

The problem was entirely me and it was quite the moronic mistake. I had my pi in a case and the case itself has two whole to mount onto a wall. Me being a genius, used two metal screws to mount, and the flat end of one the screws was touching a conductive part of the board which in turn made the power go a little wonky and the pi went into a infinite reboot since the power would signal on/off. This was discovered by me plugging into a monitor.

I have since replaced the mounting strategy and everything works flawless of course.

My mistake and thanks again for all the responses.


Thanks for letting us know it is resolved, and thanks for putting your hand up to a self-inflicted Whoops! Important lessons here, both about openness and being prepared to think a little 'outside the box' when troubleshooting.

Return to “Troubleshooting”