superdave

Power, but no activity

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 am

I have a known good power supply ([email protected]), and a known good raspbian (and openELEC) card, but my Pi isn't booting. I see the PWR LED illuminate and the OK light is dim, but not active. Also, if I connect Ethernet, the lights don't illuminate at all.

Is my Pi dead? If so, I need to know right away, so I can order one ASAP for an event. Otherwise, some troubleshooting steps would be awesome!

Thanks,
David

dknute

Re: Power, but no activity

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

What is "known good" in your case? Tested on another Pi? It's not unheard of for SD card to work in one device but not another. Do try another card with a fresh image of Raspbian or Arch.

Burngate

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

I'd order a second one anyway. It's useful to have "known good" for swapping things out.

PWR led is connected directly to the 3v3 line - all it says is some power is there

OK led - this tells me you have a rev 1 board - rev 2 has it labeled ACT
Has it booted okay in the past?

Could you have overloaded the USB outputs in some way? It could be that F3 - the power input fuse - has blown, and needs time to reset, maybe hours or days. While that's happening you could use the second Pi you're just about to order!

toysareforboys

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am

superdave wrote:I have a known good power supply ([email protected])
700ma is the BARE minimum to run your Pi. If you're going to use that power supply you better have a DAMN good MicroUSB cable (with 24 gauge power wires): http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Use a volt meter to check the TP1-TP2 voltage while the Pi is booting up, it should be 4.9v or higher.

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

Return to “Troubleshooting”