gadfly

1st time set up (with Noobs?)stops at log in command line not graphical interface

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Sorry I know this is going to be a dumb one but I really am a first timer , that s why I bought the thing!

I have just bought and trying to set up Rpi4 with ( I thought) pre loaded Noobs SD card)

All connected and starts up as expected - I can see start up sequence on monitor.

Starts with the Rasberries and then stream of Code sequence - Ends up with a command line "raspberrypi login" which is waiting for my input

So not the graphical interface I was expecting to finish set up . Never done this before so I don't know if this is normal - in which case what do I type please?

or abnormal ( is Noobs not doing what it should do , or not installed at all?)

Thx someone

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 1st time set up (with Noobs?)stops at log in command line not graphical interface

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm

gadfly wrote: ...
Starts with the Rasberries and then stream of Code sequence - Ends up with a command line "raspberrypi login" which is waiting for my input
So not the graphical interface I was expecting to finish set up . Never done this before so I don't know if this is normal - in which case what do I type please?
Probably not a NOOBS** card. What happens if you try to login as user "pi" with the usual, default password (raspberry) - which you will not see as you type? If you then get a (modified) prompt try the "startx" command next.
Trev.
**NOOBS is an O.S. installer and should give you one or more options to install or download & then install if there is a working network connection.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

gadfly

Re: 1st time set up (with Noobs?)stops at log in command line not graphical interface

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:37 pm

I suspect not a NOOBs card ( but what do I know!) If so I can ask supplier to re supply - just need to identify the issue /cause

When I log in using pi and raspberry I do get to the command line

BUT When I type "startx" I get "command not found"

B.Goode

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Another possible explanation (although only a guess), is that you do have a microSD card containing the NOOBS Installer, but the vendor has 'helpfully' pre-installed the Raspbian Operating System with it.

One way forward from the login: prompt is to sign in using the well known information pi + raspberry. Then at the shell (command line) prompt start the raspi-config utility -

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
In the boot options section of this utility you can choose that subsequent boots of the system should take you to the Desktop GUI interface, with or without the requirement to login.

Edit: responding to your follow up - maybe this is a Lite (command line only) version of the Operating System. Clarification from the vendor, or a fresh start, seem to be required.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:58 pm

gadfly wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:14 pm
Sorry I know this is going to be a dumb one but I really am a first timer , that s why I bought the thing!

I have just bought and trying to set up Rpi4 with ( I thought) pre loaded Noobs SD card)

All connected and starts up as expected - I can see start up sequence on monitor.

Thx someone

You would be better of with downloading:

"Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Then use Etcher on your PC to create a bootable SD Card from the downloaded file:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Retired disgracefully.....

gadfly

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks for helpful and speedy replies. There are clearly a couple of things I can try. If I can contain myself I will await a reply from vendors to what they think went wrong (The Pi Hut) as that may give me more precise explanation before I try a fix.

procount

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 am

I'm not sure anything went wrong - it sounds like it is working fine. It's just that you're not quite sure what you've got.
Subtle differences in the startup sequence can help identify what you have.

1. The first thing you should see is the rainbow square. This shows you the Pi is alive.
2. If you have a NOOBS card, this screen should be replaced by a greyish screen with a raspberry in the middle with a notice to "press shift to enter recovery"
3. If the vendor has helpfully pre-installed Raspbian for you, NOOBS will then boot directly into Raspbian (if you don't press the shift key). Progress continues with step 6.
4. If no operating systems have been installed in NOOBS (or you press the shift key), NOOBS will enter the recovery menu, prompting you to install one or more operating systems, or choose one of the installed ones.
5. If more than one operating system has been installed in NOOBS, a menu to choose which one to boot will be presented.
6. If you have only Raspbian installed, you will see 1 or 4 raspberries, followed by some boot up messages scrolling up the screen. Raspbian will then either stop at a command line login prompt or boot to the desktop.
7. If you have a login prompt, login with user=pi, password=raspberry. You may have Raspbian-lite, Raspbian standard or Raspbian Full installed.
8. Type 'startx'. If you get an error, you probably have Raspbian-Lite installed.
9. If you get a desktop directly, or after typing 'startx', you either have Raspbian Standard or Raspbian Full. The only difference is the number of pre-installed packages. If the menu contains programs such as: LibreOffice, Thonny, Scratch, Scratch 2, Sonic Pi, Minecraft, Python Games, SmartSim, SenseHAT Emulator, then you have the full version, otherwise you have the Standard version.
10. If you have a desktop version, you can choose to boot to the desktop or the command line by typing 'sudo raspi-config' and choosing the appropriate option.

These are the main default startup sequences to help identify what you have. Even they can be subtley changed by configuration, but hopefully they will help you recognise the difference.
Last edited by procount on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

rpdom

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:14 am

procount wrote:
6. If you have only Raspbian installed, you will see 1,2 or 4 raspberries
Two raspberries? I don't recall a Pi being released with 2 CPUs, unless that is some special case.

procount

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 am

My mistake :oops: Corrected now.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

rpdom

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 am

Apologies, spotted another :(
procount wrote:
7. If you have a login prompt, login with user=pi, password=raspbian.
Password is raspberry

The rest looks good and informative :)

procount

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks for proof-reading ;) Duly corrected.

gadfly

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Just to close this off. The vendor ( pi Hut) is sending me a replacement SD card after looking at the screen shot of the start up. So I guess this was an incorrect card. The device (s) all work perfectly, confirmed by using another SD flash on a separate card ( R0Pieee). Thx for helpful support though.

Return to “Troubleshooting”