Lucifer22334

Urgent : Raspberry Pi 4 doesn't send Signal to HDMI

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I have bought raspberry pi 4 from the Silverline electronics which was displayed on buying part of raspberrypi.org.
I have also bought the Raspberry PI 4 Micro HDMI to HDMI cable and connected to a monitor. I am Powering Raspberry Pi 4 from the charger of Redmi k20 pro which is of 18W.

When I connected the power to the Raspberry PI 4, 2 out of 10 times the display showed the desktop and most of the times it says no signal.
Is there a fault in Raspberry PI 4 or is it power supply issue?

Please tell me...

pcmanbob

Re: Urgent : Raspberry Pi 4 doesn't send Signal to HDMI

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:43 pm

So first off have you checked that the HDMI cable is plug in firmly at both ends especially if you are using a case with the pi.

secondly is the red LED on the pi flashing , this would indicate a power problem.

So assuming both the above are good and that you are running raspbian buster on your pi4B

if you still have no output then I suggest you have a read of this sticky : https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 547#p77547

and have a read of this document page regarding HDMI settings in config.txt : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

lastly marking your post urgent will not get you any special treatment , we are all volunteers here , just ordinary users like you, giving our time for free to help others.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Lucifer22334

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:49 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:43 pm
So first off have you checked that the HDMI cable is plug in firmly at both ends especially if you are using a case with the pi.

secondly is the red LED on the pi flashing , this would indicate a power problem.

So assuming both the above are good and that you are running raspbian buster on your pi4B

if you still have no output then I suggest you have a read of this sticky : https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 547#p77547

and have a read of this document page regarding HDMI settings in config.txt : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

lastly marking your post urgent will not get you any special treatment , we are all volunteers here , just ordinary users like you, giving our time for free to help others.
Yeah power is good and Cable is also plugged well and My HDMI monitor config is: 1080p/1920x1080 60Hz
I think this should be supported by raspberry PI 4. I just checked on my neighbours TV they have Mi 4a pro TV and It worked great on them. so could you suggest me what should I do?

And also the sticky you suggested I think is not for the beginners it is a little bit confusing. If you can, Please help.

pcmanbob

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Then we need to know what resolutions your monitor supports.

So can you please log in via ssh or vnc ( and use a terminal window) and run these command and post the results here.

Code: Select all

tvservice –m CEA
tvservice –m DMT
tvservice -s
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Do you know what resolution your display is?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:53 pm

jamesh wrote:
He gave that in his second post. Kind of buried at the bottom... 1080p60.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Hi all,

I have bought raspberry pi 4 from the Silverline electronics which was displayed on buying part of raspberrypi.org.
I have also bought the Raspberry PI 4 Micro HDMI to HDMI cable and connected to a monitor. I am Powering Raspberry Pi 4 from the charger of Redmi k20 pro which is of 18W.

When I connected the power to the Raspberry PI 4, 2 out of 10 times the display showed the desktop and most of the times it says no signal.
Is there a fault in Raspberry PI 4 or is it power supply issue?

Please tell me...

Why are you using a device Charger, there is no battery to charge on the Raspberry Pi SBC.

A Power Supply is recommended:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ty ... er-supply/
Retired disgracefully.....

Lucifer22334

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi,

Guys, I tried to buy changing the HDMI group and HDMI mode to 1 and 16 respectively. It still didn't start. And then after some time stopped the ssh. I can't ssh into it now. So I loaded OS again on the Memory card and tried to connect it to the MI TV but there it now showed Only Black screen and nothing I can't ssh or anything Please help...

TV resolution is 1080p/1920x1080 60Hz

Lucifer22334

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:20 pm

jamesh wrote:
Hi,

I just posted the problem above.

pcmanbob

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:
So I loaded OS again on the Memory card and tried to connect it to the MI TV but there it now showed Only Black screen and nothing I can't ssh or anything

So is your pi booting ( green LED activity , pi showing up on routers list of connected devices ) , did you add the ssh or ssh.txt file to the SD card to enable ssh ?

Lucifer22334

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:10 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm
Lucifer22334 wrote:
So I loaded OS again on the Memory card and tried to connect it to the MI TV but there it now showed Only Black screen and nothing I can't ssh or anything

So is your pi booting ( green LED activity , pi showing up on routers list of connected devices ) , did you add the ssh or ssh.txt file to the SD card to enable ssh ?
Yeah, on start the green light flickers and yes it shows in router list of connected device. I didn't add ssh.txt on the sd card because I wasn't knowing it yet.

I will try tomorrow that ssh.txt file placing in sd card boot part and will try to ssh again. But there is one problem to ssh first it should be connected to WiFi right if I am not able to start pi than how can I add it?😅

drgeoff

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:
But there is one problem to ssh first it should be connected to WiFi right if I am not able to start pi than how can I add it?😅
At the top of every forum page is a "Help" link. Click that and look for "Remote Access" In there is a link to "ssh" and its page tells you how to enable ssh by putting the card in another computer.

Connecting the RPi4 to your router with an ethernet cable does not require Wi-Fi to be working.
Last edited by drgeoff on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcmanbob

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:

Yeah, on start the green light flickers and yes it shows in router list of connected device. I didn't add ssh.txt on the sd card because I wasn't knowing it yet.
I will try tomorrow that ssh.txt file placing in sd card boot part and will try to ssh again. But there is one problem to ssh first it should be connected to WiFi right if I am not able to start pi than how can I add it?😅
Take the SD card put it back in your pc card reader, if windows offers to format you card say no.

you will be shown the list of files on the fat32 partition of the SD card as that's all windows understands

you just create a new txt file called ssh.

eject the SD card and place it in your pi and boot , ssh will then be enabled.

If you have not setup a wifi connection then just connect your pi to the router using a cable , it will auto connect and get an IP address from the router , you can then use the IP of the pi shown in your routers list of connected devices to ssh in to your pi.

Lucifer22334

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:40 am

drgeoff wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 pm
Lucifer22334 wrote:
But there is one problem to ssh first it should be connected to WiFi right if I am not able to start pi than how can I add it?😅
At the top of every forum page is a "Help" link. Click that and look for "Remote Access" In there is a link to "ssh" and its page tells you how to enable ssh by putting the card in another computer.

Connecting the RPi4 to your router with an ethernet cable does not require Wi-Fi to be working.
Yeah, that's the right man. I will do it and tell you what happens. Let's consider a scenario if RPi is not booting up then what should be the solution?

Lucifer22334

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm
Lucifer22334 wrote:

Take the SD card put it back in your pc card reader, if windows offers to format you card say no.

you will be shown the list of files on the fat32 partition of the SD card as that's all windows understands

you just create a new txt file called ssh.

eject the SD card and place it in your pi and boot , ssh will then be enabled.

If you have not setup a wifi connection then just connect your pi to the router using a cable , it will auto connect and get an IP address from the router , you can then use the IP of the pi shown in your routers list of connected devices to ssh in to your pi.
Going to do that. If it still doesn't work I will inform you.

drgeoff

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 am

Lucifer22334 wrote:
Let's consider a scenario if RPi is not booting up then what should be the solution?
Why consider that? You previously wrote "Yeah, on start the green light flickers and yes it shows in router list of connected device." If connected to the router, it booted.

Lucifer22334

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 am

drgeoff wrote:
Lucifer22334 wrote:
Let's consider a scenario if RPi is not booting up then what should be the solution?
Why consider that? You previously wrote "Yeah, on start the green light flickers and yes it shows in router list of connected device." If connected to the router, it booted.
I am just taking a precaution nothing more so when I will check this if raspberry pi isn't booting up I should already be knowing what to do next. I am currently working on another device so it will take time to work with rasp 4. So I hope you understand my situation...

Lucifer22334

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:25 am

Bodily5 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 am
While your monitor should be able to communicate its' abilities to your Raspberry Pi, there are times that the 'standard' that an old monitor uses is not recognized by the Raspberry Pi.
My monitor was running fine with raspberry pi 3 and it ran almost 3 out of 20 times on the same monitor with Raspberry pi 4. When I connected it with MI tv 4a pro it ran on the first time but when I edited HDMI group and HDMI mode to 1 and 16 as my monitor specs it didn't run as well as stopped the ssh. So I flashed new OS again and tried to connect to Mi TV again but it was just showing black screen nothing else.

Monitor specs are : 1080p/1920x1080 60Hz

Lucifer22334

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:57 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Lucifer22334 wrote:
Hey, I checked Raspberry PI 4 with the Memory Card I was using in another PI. I connected the Power supply and HDMI cable. Power supply and HDMI cable original one. On Connecting Power supply Green and Red Light Turned On together and then ater 2 sec Green light turned off. I had already registered My mac address in the router and got static IP. I checked by running that in ssh but Session terminated.

I also tried by changing the HDMI mode and group from the Memory card by changing in config.txt but still nothing.
I think it is not Booting up.

Is my Raspberry PI 4 Defective or broken?

jamesh

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
Lucifer22334 wrote:
Hey, I checked Raspberry PI 4 with the Memory Card I was using in another PI. I connected the Power supply and HDMI cable. Power supply and HDMI cable original one. On Connecting Power supply Green and Red Light Turned On together and then ater 2 sec Green light turned off. I had already registered My mac address in the router and got static IP. I checked by running that in ssh but Session terminated.

I also tried by changing the HDMI mode and group from the Memory card by changing in config.txt but still nothing.

Might indeed be broken. Sounds like it's not booting - you would expect the green light to flicker for 10s at least as the SD card is read to load the kernel.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Lucifer22334

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:39 pm

jamesh wrote:
Lucifer22334 wrote:
drgeoff wrote:

Might indeed be broken. Sounds like it's not booting - you would expect the green light to flicker for 10s at least as the SD card is read to load the kernel.
I have talked to the Seller he said to send to him and he will sent it to the factory to get tested. If defected then it will be replaced and if it is not then it's a loss of money. I have also bought one another Raspberry Pi 4 and if it also same then it is loss of almost 10,000 Rs.

Raspberry Pi comes with one year warranty right?

jamesh

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Lucifer22334 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Lucifer22334 wrote:

I have talked to the Seller he said to send to him and he will sent it to the factory to get tested. If defected then it will be replaced and if it is not then it's a loss of money. I have also bought one another Raspberry Pi 4 and if it also same then it is loss of almost 10,000 Rs.

So you are saying you have two devices that show the same problem? In that case it's something you are doing or your environment - the chances of getting two defective devices is negligible. or have I misunderstood your comment?

And yes, one year warranty.

Lucifer22334

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Lucifer22334 wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I have talked to the Seller he said to send to him and he will send it to the factory to get tested. If defected then it will be replaced and if it is not then it's a loss of money. I have also bought one another Raspberry Pi 4 and if it is also same then it is the loss of almost 10,000 Rs.

So you are saying you have two devices that show the same problem? In that case, it's something you are doing or your environment - the chances of getting two defective devices is negligible. or have I misunderstood your comment?

And yes, one year warranty.
Sorry I didn't comment properly. I was saying one has been defective and I have already ordered a second one so that one shouldn't come out as defective after receiving it.

This is how I connect Raspberry PI to Monitor and Flow:

I am first connecting the charger and Monitor plug to the board. And turn them on. Then I connect the HDMI cable to the Monitor and from there to raspberry Pi 4. Thereafter I connect Mouse and Keyboard and Put Memory Card which has Raspbian Strech latest to Raspberry PI 4. After everything is placed I connect the Power to the Raspberry PI 4.

Jamesh do you also live in India?

pcmanbob

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 am

Lucifer22334 wrote:
Memory Card which has Raspbian Strech latest to Raspberry PI 4.
You should be using Raspbian Buster for the pi4, a pi4 will not boot using Raspbian stretch.

jamesh

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 am

Lucifer22334 wrote:
Jamesh do you also live in India?
No, work for Raspberry Pi in Cambridge, England.

Return to “Troubleshooting”