not2bright

Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, 4GB RAM Freezes Accessing Web

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Using Chromium or Midori, navigating to

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

freezes the system – mouse cursor doesn’t move, etc. Only alternative is power off/on. Videos on YouTube crash the system in the same way. I’ve tried a few things after noticing similarities to topic, “Newest Kernel and / or Chromium broken” at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=224003.

In particular, ”Just did some in-depth testing and comparison between my Raspberry Pi 3B and my Raspberry Pi 3B+. It is definitely the Kernel and the 3B+'s firmware, that's an absolute mess.”

In a like manner, I prepared two identical 32 GB SDCards, one for my new Pi4, the other for my old Pi2 (1 GB). The Pi4 fails as described; the Pi2 does not.

Some notes:

For my first install, I allowed the updates to be installed. That resulted in a blank screen after booting which was fixed by uncommenting a line in config.txt. For all of my subsequent installs, I didn’t bother with the updates since the freezing occurs in either case.

Heat sinks and fan installed.

Increasing graphics memory from the default 64 GB to 128 or even 256 GB had no effect.

Wi-Fi or direct made no difference.

Also, playing AVC video in VLC Player 3.0.7 crashes the Pi4, but not Pi2. (Same for omxplayer).

Any help would be appreciated!

CypherOz

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, 4GB RAM Freezes Accessing Web

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 am

I have no issues with Onedrive via browser on my RPi4B / 4GB - latest firmware, kernel, and software (chromium).

256 MB for Graphics.

Also, playing videos works fine 1080p (youtube, and downloads via VLC).
--
Regards, Kym
Retired software bloke from Adelaide, South Australia

not2bright

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 am

CypherOz wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 am
I have no issues with Onedrive via browser on my RPi4B / 4GB - latest firmware, kernel, and software (chromium).

256 MB for Graphics.

Also, playing videos works fine 1080p (youtube, and downloads via VLC).
Thanks for the response. I can use OneDrive, but I have to login through the 365 login page. In the other thread I referenced, ShiftPlusOne, a
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator, stated, "Not only should we have noticed it, but the forum, github and our inboxes should be flooding with other users reporting the issue as well." I suppose I should just assume I have a faulty piece of hardware and exchange mine for another. But, I'll wait a day or two.

not2bright

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm

I've received a new Raspberry Pi 4 replacement from Amazon and can report that the problems reported above do not exist. In fact, there was no necessity to modify the config.txt file to re-enable the HDMI after updates were applied. All is good! :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”