Imperf3kt

Re: [Not getting my full Gigabit internet speed on RPI 4b 4GB]

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:57 am

What speed is your SD card? Could that be the issue?
A speedtest works by downloading data and measuring how long it takes.
If your storage media cannot write the data that is being downloaded fast enough, then it will cause the download to slow down and you'll get a slower result.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Cubuss

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
If your storage media cannot write the data that is being downloaded fast enough, then it will cause the download to slow down and you'll get a slower result.
It says read speed is up to 90mb but if the sd card was the bottle neck shoulndt i get slower download speeds to?

pcmanbob

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:03 am
There is the potential for this tool to report results inconsistent with Speedtest.net. There are several concepts to be aware of that factor into the potential inconsistency:

Speedtest.net has migrated to using pure socket tests instead of HTTP based tests
This application is written in Python
Different versions of Python will execute certain parts of the code faster than others
CPU and Memory capacity and speed will play a large part in inconsistency between Speedtest.net and even other machines on the same network
Did you take this in to consideration as stated by the writer of speedtest.cli
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jerrm

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Cubuss wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
It says read speed is up to 90mb but if the sd card was the bottle neck shoulndt i get slower download speeds to?
SD card speed is irrelevant. The benchmark data is discarded and not written anywhere.

pcmanbob

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 pm

I still think you are worrying over nothing and the difference is caused by the difference in hardware and in how speed test.cli and a test via a browser do the speed test in different ways , as per the quote in my previous post.

You know you pi network port is working at full gig bit speed, the speed test over your LAN proved that.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

5ft24dave

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:35 pm

For upload speed, the benchmark creates a local file, then sends the file.
If the SD cards read speed isn't supportive of speeds of 1Gb, you will never see 1Gb uploads.

jerrm

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm

5ft24dave wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:35 pm
For upload speed, the benchmark creates a local file, then sends the file.
If the SD cards read speed isn't supportive of speeds of 1Gb, you will never see 1Gb uploads.
From a quick read, upload date is allocated in memory, not on storage. SD speed shouldn't matter - unless memory is so constrained it's swapping to disk.

Cubuss

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:19 am

Anyone else able to get full gigabit speeds?

I now have a use case where i do need to get the full speeds,

I even upgraded my speeds from 750mbs to 1gbmbs both up and down.

neilgl

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

What is that use case?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:07 am

Cubuss wrote:

iperf3 shows your internal network is getting full speed, so not actually a RPi issue par-se !!
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

B.Goode

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Cubuss wrote:

Since you are familiar with the iperf3 tool, have you thought of testing against a public iperf3 server to eliminate dependency on speedtest from your concerns?
Getting full 1gb speeds when testing with iperf3
https://iperf.fr/iperf-servers.php

My Download speed seems to reach 750 and above just fine its my upload speeds who seems always below ,
Upload speed always slower the nit should be

Maybe an Asymmetric service is what you are paying your ISP to provide? Have you checked the details of your contract before trying to fix something that might not be broken?

renice123

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:20 pm

If you have several identical computers (Raspberry), then there are some computers that work poorly.

1. Rearrange memory cards using the same program. Then see the results of working with the network.
Something has changed? Is one computer faster than another?
If so, then the problem is in the OS and OS settings.

2. Physically change the place of work of computers. That is, connect one Raspberry to another and vice versa. This will eliminate the connection error.
The results vary greatly? All this is associated with the use of very good equipment.

3. Look at the settings of your router. Perhaps there is a speed limit for one workstation.

I am pretty sure that such speed indicators are related to the limited capabilities provided by network services. This can be, as a rule, one way or another to limit the traffic of one computer in order to ensure uniform traffic for the entire network. For example, this happens in those days or at a time when a network of users got in touch and watched a video broadcast about football.
These features of networks are used in the book for system administrators. I worked as a system administrator and I remember something. Now everything has changed and we have received sky-high speeds!

I also like to test new equipment. One way or another, if you are concerned about the speed of network connections. I think they will conduct their investigation. Although you have excellent speed results! I envy you! I will grow and grow! =) Oh, forgot to say. The speed of the outgoing connection is almost always different from the other speed. So all over the world - output is not equal to input. It should not be particularly worried if other conditions are not specified in the contract.

Return to “Troubleshooting”