HyFy

New router/VDSL provider - no internet via Pis

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi

Hyper inflation by BT caused me to change Broadband provider. Everything as far as the usual Broadband/wifi user would want/need went very well. But it has taken 60 hours + for the router to maintain the various bits and pieces on the network in it's memory - let alone provide an NTP time prompt. But I cannot access the Internet from any of the Pi's be it using simple "Chrome" or accessing a hostname on one of the Pi's. Another passes data to an IOT site and that communication has failed since I connected that Pi to the router. I have tried the "Technical Helpline" (PlusNet) and was told that they didn't do "Router Setings". When I pressed the point they cut me off! (Had I known that John Lewis Broadband was PlusNet based I might have thought again but that's my error and I have a 12 month contract!!!! By the way the "Technical Helpline" chap did not know what was a Raspberry Pi. A really technical helper!

So where am I going wrong with the router settings? I have 5 Pis on the network all of which are chatting happily on MQTT and are (now) appearing on the router's GUI but none of them can contact the Internet in their own right. Everything else, be in it Windows 10, Windows 8, and Android x 4 have all got 2-way Internet but not the Pis.

The provided router is a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A which from what I can gather is c.2013.

Any suggestions?

HyFy

gkreidl

Re: New router/VDSL provider - no internet via Pis

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 pm

You could try to replace the DNS servers provided by the router/ISP with an OpenDNS or Google DNS server (in router settings)
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Can you ping 8.8.8.8?

If not the gateway is wrong on the Pi.

This is normally the routers IP address and is often different per ISP.

Fir example it could be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 for one supplier and xxx.xxx.xxx.254 for another.

To make matters worse the whole start of the IP address could be different
e.g. 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx

I would find a computer that can access the internet and see what it has for the gateway and IP address (ipconfig /all on a PC or Terminal ifconfig on a Mac).

Then check /etc/dhcpcd.conf to see if you have a static IP address and gateway / domain server addresses set up. By default, this file gives examples in the comment lines.

HyFy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Okay I'll check out what you say but I was just back to say that they all have static IP addresses for many reasons.

Other gizmos with static IP addresses are working fine but not the Pis.

They all ping to the router. In fact that was the only way I could get the router to even acknowledge them. Then the router ignored them and I had to ping it again on all of them - one by one. And then repeat it 12 hours later...

I'll check out the other things and get back.

HyFy

HyFy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks Andyroo
As they all have static IP addresses I have altered one of them to the router's Ip. 192.168.1.1. No change! The Pi will ping to the IP address 192.168.1.1 but not to 8.8.8.8 which is mentioned in the comments in the /etc/dhcpcd.conf but maybe just as an example. In the /etc/dhcpcd.conf I have changed the DNS Server and the DCHP server lines to 192.168.1.1.
No change...

I will keep checking...

HyFy

DougieLawson

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Do you do your static addresses with /etc/dhcpcd.conf or is it done in your router's configuration pages?

What's the range of the router's DHCP pool? Do your static addresses overlap with that range (because your router may dislike that - it wants to be in charge)?

On my 10.1.1.0/24 network I've got 10.1.1.40 to 10.1.1.99 as the DHCP range. That gives me 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.39 and 10.1.1.100 to 10.1.1.253 as static addresses. The router is at 10.1.1.254. The 10.8.0.0/24 block is for OpenVPN. 172.31.1.0/24 is what I use for an experimental address block. 192.168.137.0/24 is the Windows shared networking block.

You've got lots of scope. 192.168.xxx.xxx/24 (256 addresses per block), 172.[16-31].xxx.xxx/16 (64K addresses per block and 16 blocks) and 10.xxx.xxx.xxx/8 (16 million addresses divided up how you like) are all available.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

drgeoff

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 pm

HyFy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 pm
Thanks Andyroo
As they all have static IP addresses I have altered one of them to the router's Ip. 192.168.1.1. No change! The Pi will ping to the IP address 192.168.1.1 but not to 8.8.8.8 which is mentioned in the comments in the /etc/dhcpcd.conf but maybe just as an example. In the /etc/dhcpcd.conf I have changed the DNS Server and the DCHP server lines to 192.168.1.1.
No change...

I will keep checking...

HyFy
Did you reboot the RPi (or restart networking by any other means) after changing entries in dhcpcd.conf?

HyFy

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks Dougie. Good to hear from you again!

I am still feeling my way around this new router and it's GUI. I will have another look at the 473 page manual and get back to you.

HyFy

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm

The copy I downloaded has 395 pages. It does tell me that your router sits at 192.168.1.1 and reserves 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.254 as the DHCP pool. So that WILL need changing if you want to set up Raspberries with fixed IP addresses.

Basics to get a Raspberry connected are /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with

Code: Select all

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
        ssid="Example"
        psk="DoNotStealMyWirelessNetwork"
}
/etc/network/interfaces

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
And /etc/dhcpcd.conf

option rapid_commit
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes
option ntp_servers
require dhcp_server_identifier
slaac private
nohook lookup-hostname
nothing funky in there.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Andyroo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:14 pm

One point, the 8.8.8.8 is a valid and (in)famous address of one of the Google DNS servers out on the internet.

It’s often used as it’s normally available to anyone this side of the Great Chinese Firewall - the only time I’ve not been able to get to it was during the BT Manchester tunnel fire a few years ago.

More details are at https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062

HyFy

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Okay - Thanks for all of your help and detail. I just think that the router is c... Pi's in which I altered the /etc/dhcpcd.conf and changed the DNS Server and the DCHP server lines to 192.168.1.1 have magically changed towards the end of the interim 18 hours. The others I have changed the /etc/dhcpcd.conf and rebooted without change as yet. I will try again in the morning (weekends are otherwise mega busy - that's retirement for you!).

But I seem to have found the issue and the cure. So Thank you all and "case closed." I wish that I could say that the 493 page manual for the router had been useful. The index didn't even mention ddns and entries of "static" bore no relevance to static IP's.

Now I must try to sort the port routing rules!! Again the manual is not obviously helpful.

I have another thread running to seek advice on a good Pi friendly router which I obviously need to source. So any suggestions that are not mega-costly would be appreciated. (VDSL in 4 bed house with concrete internal walls on the ground floor. I have TP-Link Extenders on the 1st floor. WiFi mega-speed is not essential but I have a number of Pis which seem to breed.

Thanks as always for your tolerance and advice.

HyFy

HyFy

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 pm

My efforts seem to have crossed with everyone else's efforts on my behalf. I now have three out of 6 Pi's with static IP's talking to the outside world. They have static IPs between 192.168.1 208 and 236. I am assuming that the other three will come on line as the others have done so over time. I have only altered the /etc/dhcpcd.conf and changed the DNS Server and the DCHP server lines to 192.168.1.1. Yes, I had re-booted after making the changes but the "coming online" was slow in coming but without anything further being altered. The router itself now seems to be retaining changes made to settings within it. Dougie: I didn't have to make the further changes that you suggest to get things running on the first three but I will retain what you say for future reference - in case.

Thanks

HyFy

HyFy

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:12 pm

The Pi's that now are talking to the world can now ping 8.8.8.8 as opposed to all of them having been able to ping 192.168.1.1. The ones that I await cannot ping 8.8.8.8 but can ping 192.168.1.1.

HyFy

HyFy

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello

The remaining Pi's came up on line, i.e. can now contact the internet and this happened overnight. They can all ping 8.8.8.8 as well as the router's 192.168.1.1

Thanks for your help. As I mentioned before now I have to try and work out how this router does port forwarding.

HyFy

Andyroo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:26 pm

HyFy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm
As I mentioned before now I have to try and work out how this router does port forwarding...
You may want to update the firmware first - it may be an old router but it still seems to be getting fixes (unless its a new version of the same model).

A quick read of the ver 1 edition 2 manual (as that's the oldest) shows its section 11 - NAT and it can even wake the target up if it supports WOL (Pi boards do not).

It looks a very very nice box - puts my 'free' one to shame :lol:

HyFy

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks Andyroo. I'll get on to it This was a freebee box as well!

I'm a bit pushed as I have to write the sermon for tomorrow but time will allow after that!!

HyFy

HyFy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Thank you Andyroo et al.

The server is up and running as before router change. During the Port Forwarding exercise it took me a while to work out that the "Status" light was also an on/off switch. I clicked on it by chance and "hey presto..."

I also couldn't remember the port.conf address to check what had been in that file but I found an old Post by Dougie and that sorted that.

Thanks all,

HyFy

bensimmo

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 pm

In the future, look at switching the Pi to 'standard' IP address alocation (dynamic) so the Router gives them the IP address.
Then in the router, reserve an IP address to that Pi. It will always be given the IP and you control it all from one place. the router.

For extending, I find Powerline extenders the best option.
It works through your Mains and works pretty well.

Either ethernet link at the other end or a Powerline WiFi extender at the other end, to reach out further.
TP-links version (which is what I currently use) https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

Their newer Powerlines have a flaw of the ethernet connection(s) coming out the top of the powerline, they used to be in the sensible bottom so cables went down and didn't loop over the device itself.
So things are messier now unless it's hidden behind stuff (which is not the best for a WiFi extender <slaps head, what are Tp-link thinking>)

... just to add another level of fun, John Lewis is run via PlusNet, who are a BT company.

Andyroo

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:00 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 pm
In the future, look at switching the Pi to 'standard' IP address alocation (dynamic) so the Router gives them the IP address.
Then in the router, reserve an IP address to that Pi. It will always be given the IP and you control it all from one place. the router.
Just spent three hours battling with the EE router (Home Hub rebrand made by Arcadyan) that decided it could have two devices on the same IP address and refused to allow me to delete one!

Had to fake a MAC address (Pi now on site), set up dhcpcd, boot up to activate one of the addresses, then reboot an AP (despite this IP problem link being Ethernet), then change dhcpcd, then reboot the router, the power the new Pi one. That was the only way it would let me delete one of the entries and get it going again - the AP step took a long while to find :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
Its also stupid enough to allow you to set a static on a device with a different MAC address and not complain (even in the log).

I'm going back to manual control in the device and not on the router :lol:

HyFy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Glad it's not just the inexperienced/uninformed who have the problems but I wouldn't have thought of/ carried out that solution... That's why I ask!!

Return to “Troubleshooting”