BenQ204

Setup wireless adapter with Rpi 3 b+

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:11 am

I know the raspberry pi 3 has its own internal wifi built in, but I would like to use a USB wifi adapter instead. I've already verified chipset is compatible and all that. However, I can't seem to figure out how to disable the internal adapter and just use the USB adapter. I saw a post about blacklisting it (I'll come back and enter code I used when I get home). That seems to work but how do I verify which adapter it's using? (and yes it is successful connected to internet - I just can't tell through which adapter)

Thanks!

lpsw

Re: Setup wireless adapter with Rpi 3 b+

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:00 am

From my Pi3b+ config.sys (some for future reference)

Code: Select all

# Optionally disable wifi/bt
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

BenQ204

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 am

Ok but how do I check which adapter my wifi is running through? Like I said I'm successfully connected to the internet, I just want to make sure it's going through my USB wifi adapter that I have plugged in and not through the internal wifi adapter.

I used to do some network and other software related things on the side but it's been a while... I thought there was something you can type in command line to display this info, I just can't remember what it was...

lpsw

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:00 am

One way is to check your router's active associated MAC addresses vs. MAC addresses assigned to your interfaces.
Assuming nothing is connected to the ethernet port, if you disable the onboard wifi (per above) then your USB adapter is the point of WIFI connection.
HTH

Edit: for brevity
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

BenQ204

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 am

I'm using my phones Hotspot so, unfortunately, I can't use that method.
if you disable the onboard wifi (per above) then your USB adapter is the point of WIFI connection.

yeah I guess you're right. I always just thought there was a command to show this but I must be thinking of something else. Thanks anyways!

Return to “Troubleshooting”