shadowownz

HDMI 1 no audio

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:08 am

Greetings! I'm the proud owner of around 10 Rpi's, ranging from b+ to the latest 4 and it's with the latest one that i'm having headaches. First of all, a congrats is long overdue to the Rpi Foundation (and all the people that worked on every project, SW devs, HW devs, Testers, Forum moderators,...) for their tremendous job in popularizing this great and versatile credit-card-size computer!! And for listening to the community and upgrading the existing 3b+ to the 4b with the things that we ACTUALLY WANTED!! So, to them, i tip my hat.
So, as everybody knows by now, the Pi 4 has 2 HDMI ports (wowowow!) and great possibilities. The thing is - and that i was not aware of, but makes sense - only 1 HDMI has sound, at least in my case. Whenever i connect the micro HDMI cable to HDMI 0, everything works flawlessly, sound, image, resolution, no complaints whatsoever. BUT, HDMI 1 is another story, at least in my case. Image/video wise, i have nothing to say, it performs equal to HDMI 0, but regarding sound...well, it's a work in progress. I absolutely have NO SOUND on HDMI 1. Just using the HDMI 1 port, i get video without issues but no sound. I think i caught a glimpse at another thread on the forum regarding this issue but not many people have come forward to the spotlight to confirm this issue. I already added the hdmi_preferred=1 to the config file but with no avail. I recently added 1.5mm thermal pads to my pi 4 (replacing the 1mm ones that came with armor dual fan case) and i tested the HDMI ports after that. My first thought was "Cr*p, i must've broken some lanes when i screwed the case" but apparently not, the board does seem normal, no bents, no curves, straight as a knife and the screws are definetely NOT overtighten. So, to sum up:

1 - Is this behaviour normal on the pi 4?
2- Is there a workaround to force sound on HDMI 1?

Someone said around "here" that it was a flaw and not correctly tested by the Rpi Foundation, comparing to a car without brakes. I DO NOT AGREE. Every single product has issues when it arrives to the market, even cars get injectors micro code update, ECU corrections and replacement parts / recalls so this is PERFECTLY NORMAL! It just needs some fine tuning, it's not the end of the world. Even the best SW devs in the world can only forsee so much in the near future, that's why updates and upgrades exist! Nonetheless, i still think Pi 4 is definetely a HUGE ACHIEVEMENT! So, Rpi Foundation, my sincere thank you and well done!!

P.S. - If anyone wants to know, Arctic 1.5mm thermal pads (6W/mK) reduced the temps by around 3-4º C compared to the ones shipped with the case. Will try with the Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 1mm (8W/mK).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI 1 no audio

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am

When moving from HDMI0 to HDMI1, can you try selecting Analog output, then back to HDMI output from the taskbar (R-clock on the Audio icon). does it make any difference?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

shadowownz

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am
When moving from HDMI0 to HDMI1, can you try selecting Analog output, then back to HDMI output from the taskbar (R-clock on the Audio icon). does it make any difference?
I think i've tried that and without success but will try it again this evening :) thanks for your reply mate!

shadowownz

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:57 pm

well, just tested switching to analog and back to HDMI on the top right corner of the taskbar (audio icon), without success. tried using the force_hotplug on the config file and nothing.
If it helps:

Linux r4spberry 4.19.69-v7l+ #1256 SMP Fri Aug 30 16:37:01 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Static hostname: r4spberry
Icon name: computer
Machine ID: 8bbbe84f0f9144239cec2269adaafcad
Boot ID: 180ebb732a7048edade61ecbe8be43ec
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Kernel: Linux 4.19.69-v7l+
Architecture: arm

shadowownz

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am

Anything else i could try to debug?

jamesh

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am

shadowownz wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am
Anything else i could try to debug?
Not that I can think of. Can you post an issue in our github tracker, https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware. so it gets some attention.

Thanks.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

shadowownz

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 am

Will do! Thanks you for your time James!

shadowownz

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am

Just a follow up:

"Not a firmware bug.

The lxplug-volume plugin calls amixer -q cset numid=3 2 to route the one audio device to one of a number of outputs. 2 is used for HDMI, but that is only ever HDMI0. It needs to call amixer -q cset numid=3 3 for HDMI1. (1 is used for analog)."

Full thread - https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1243

A solution might be on the way :)

jamesh

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I did wonder whether this would be linux or firmware, guessed wrong!

shadowownz

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 pm
I did wonder whether this would be linux or firmware, guessed wrong!
Well, it's a tough call but from what i can understand, a vc4-fkms: Add hotplug support #3205 ticket was opened @Linux so we'll see. As for now, the only option is to run amixer -q cset numid=3 3 and it will persist in alsa mixer configs after a reboot, apparently. Will do some more testing and let you know.

Return to “Troubleshooting”