OneGhost

Using Samsung Printer Driver

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi. I would like to use my Samsung M2020 printer on the Raspberry Pi 2. Unfortunately Samsung only released drivers for armel (Soft float) architecture (as far as I know). I have tried various things, like using generic drivers, forcing this driver to install, etc, but nothing worked for me. Is there anything I could do to make this printer work? Maybe somehow emulate armel on Raspbian (armhf)? I would really prefer to stick with newer architecture, as armel is quite old, and not really supported anymore.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Using Samsung Printer Driver

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:00 pm

OneGhost wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi. I would like to use my Samsung M2020 printer on the Raspberry Pi 2. Unfortunately Samsung only released drivers for armel (Soft float) architecture (as far as I know). I have tried various things, like using generic drivers, forcing this driver to install, etc, but nothing worked for me. Is there anything I could do to make this printer work? Maybe somehow emulate armel on Raspbian (armhf)? I would really prefer to stick with newer architecture, as armel is quite old, and not really supported anymore.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pri ... /XAA-specs

Maybe the Splix Package will support ?

http://splix.ap2c.org/

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install splix cups system-config-printer

The system-config-printer is a GUI for CUPS, it makes it easier to configure printers under Raspbian Buster...IMO
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

OneGhost

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks for the replay. I have already tried splix, but it didn't worked. My printer is not listed under it's supported list.
Last edited by OneGhost on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:36 pm

OneGhost wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:26 pm
Thanks for the replay. I have already tried split, but it didn't worked. My printer is not listed under it's supported list.

Did you use system-config-printer GUI to configure the Printer ?

Does it even recognise your printer model ""Samsung Xpress SL-M2020W Laser Printer"" correctly ?

The driver package is SPLIX !
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

OneGhost

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 pm

Sory, I have noticed now that autocorrection changes splix to split on my Mac, I have installed splix, but it didn't work. I have only tested this without gui on rpi, I will install version with gui and try again using system-config-printer. Printer itself is recognized correctly as a correct model.

OneGhost

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 pm

It worked! Using splix worked, but I had to install it manually from "patches" repository and not with apt-get. This version contains drivers for my printer. Configured it from cups gui later, no need for system-config-printer. Thank you for you help.

domukin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:49 am

I'm running into the same issuer. I cannot find the right driver for the ML-2020w on raspberry pi CUPS.

Could you explain step by step how you installed the splix driver manually from the "patches" repository? (and not with apt-get.)

alio74

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Hello,

Here is the several steps applied on my raspberry pi2 to be able to print on my Samsung 2020 printer.

1- sudo apt-get install build-essential lib2cups-dev
2- git clone https://gitlab.com/ScumCoder/splix/tree/patches/splix
3- cd splix/splix then make ; then sudo make install
3- if you have error in ld not finding libjpig85 you should compile it (Go to step 5)
5- git clone https://github.com/nu774/jbigkit.git
6- cd jbigkit then make then sudo make install
7- Go to cups add add the printer and choose ppd file from splix/splix/ppd/m2020.ppd

That's all hope this will fix your issues.

Good Luck

Return to “Troubleshooting”