hippy

Re: Pi4 solid red and green led

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:17 pm

James007 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:14 am
Any other advice ?
Do as gormanpe did; burn the SD Cards on a PC which has a micro-SD Card slot. That seems to have been the only solution for resolving the issue so far identified. YMMV.

kissste

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 am

The same issue here - Pi4 solid red and green led and won't boot. CPU is not even warm.

My Pi4 was working ok, then one day, stopped.

I have tried a new sd card, reflashed the old one.

no difference what so ever.

whether SD card is there or not

solid green and solid red and no CPU is cold. no flashes, nothing

renice123

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:33 am

It seems to me that if we want to find out what happens when the "green LED of death" appears, then we need to provide more technical information.

For example, the following questions immediately arise.
1. Which memory card was used (and even on which card reader the image is recorded).
2. Which case was used (closed, open, metal, plastic, and so on.
3. What kind of power supply. Whether there was a voltage drop or frequent malfunctions in the electrical home network.
4. Whether the temperature of Raspberry was controlled (for example, I have constant temperature control turned on and when I reach 60 degrees, Raspberry is turned off).
5. Are any devices connected to the GPIO
6. Where is Raspberry physically located and can it be that the microcomputer is exposed to humid air or is in a stuffy shoe box =)
7. In what mode was the computer used? Constantly worked or often turned on and off.
What programs were most often used (server or web browsing through Chromium and so on)
Have any changes been made to config.txt
Indicate the firmware version and whether EEPROM was tried to flash (before or after the "green death LED").
8. How the computer behaves after the appearance of the "green death LED". How much current does Raspberry consume in this case (measure the current with an ammeter). Can check some signals on the board with an oscilloscope? What happens if you lower the voltage from the power supply to Raspberry (for example, to 4.8 Volts or lower, to 4.5 Volts. Will the red light disappear?).
9. Perhaps it makes sense to post photographs of Raspberry and setup, the environment in which the microcomputer worked. That is, indicate the brand of keyboard, mouse, connected devices.

I noticed that because of the low cost of Raspberries, the microcomputer is often used with cheap low-quality devices (the latest example is the hdmi cable or wi-fi keyboard of a Chinese cheap manufacturer).
It seems to me wrong: the cheapness of the microcomputer is a kind of masterpiece of the engineering team and marketing policy, and this does not imply the purchase of cheap related equipment that can cause problems.
Therefore, would like to receive as much information as possible about the microcomputer with the "green death LED" in order to avoid a possible problem in the future.

The argument of "statistical insignificance" of breakdowns does not seem very relevant, since it is known that sometimes the manufacturer accidentally releases batches of devices with some kind of problem. In our country this is called a “defective party” and is very common.
That is, would like to clarify from which supplier Raspberries with a "green LED of death" were purchased. And what time.

PS Apparently, there are several problems with the "green death LED." Perhaps one of them is a special algorithm for working with a memory card in the fourth version of Raspberry (apparently related to the memory card controller and frequency). The second problem is most likely related to programmable PMIC and the presence of EEPROM - I noticed that users of Raspberry try to rewrite EEPROM with some hasty regularity. This potentially dangerous operation is for some reason popular.

Well, so far, the development engineers have not said their version, so we have to wait for an official decision.

barryxprt

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:31 am

Hello all,

Appreciate all of your insights on this problem; I just want to add my own experience so that hopefully we can get more attention to this issue:

We develop white label automation tools using the RPi platform and have been using Pi 3 B's without issues for some time (with the odd SD card corruption).

We've ordered 3x Pi 4 (4GB) and all 3 have succumbed to this issue (solid green/red LED w/ nothing connected).

2 of the Pi 4's were DOA with this issue (feint, solid green LED & solid bright red LED) and the 3rd (recently procured from a different supplier) was working for some time and then suddenly exhibited the "nothing connected, solid red & bright green LED, no boot" condition.

I've tried the EEPROM recovery image on several SD cards to no avail.
All 3 PI's were powered from an official P2719 Raspberry Pi AC/USB-C adapter.

What's most frustrating is that for a hobbyist/hacker product, there aren't more options to serial debug this thing. I know there's the option to enable UART debug, but if it doesn't boot you can't enable that feature.

Our experience so far with this platform has seriously shaken our confidence in the OEM QC processes.

Additionally, I have noted a bit of variation to the quality of the solder joints around the USB-2 mount points between the 3 Pi 4's we have (pictures attached). I would really appreciate some acknowledgement or feedback on this issue. I gather it's not affecting most end-users, but for us it's been 3 out of 3, so the perception is that it's a faulty product.

I'll be watching this thread in the hopes of a breakthrough... fingers crossed.

renice123

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 am

There are several branches devoted to the problem of the "green LED of death." Here is a link to another thread
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1560438
If Raspberries had dead on arrival, then it looks like problems with soldering components or static electricity. I was surprised that the fourth version of Raspberry went on sale in our country without an antistatic package.
It was very strange, I'm used to all complex electronic devices coming in antistatic bags.
Did you receive your computer in a protective package or did they just lie in a box without packaging?

rpdom

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am

renice123 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:46 am
I was surprised that the fourth version of Raspberry went on sale in our country without an antistatic package.
It didn't.

The piece of cardboard with the pictures on is anti-static and a lot more environmentally friendly than a plastic bag.

renice123

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 am

Perhaps a piece of cardboard is much more environmentally friendly than antistatic packaging, but before I got all my devices in antistatic plastic packaging. But I was horrified that now they began to put only a piece of cardboard in a box - my new Raspberry dangled in this box during transportation.
Perhaps the fiery speeches of Greta Tunberg forced manufacturers to use only cardboard =)
PS I remember the times when used lead solder. When environmentalists forced all manufacturers to abandon lead solder (yes, it is harmful), many electronic devices began to fail. Badly soldered parts fell off. Alas, this is so. I believe that we should fight for the environment, but we should not splash out along with dirty water from the basin of the child =)

rpdom

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:22 am

renice123 wrote:
PS I remember the times when used lead solder. When environmentalists forced all manufacturers to abandon lead solder (yes, it is harmful), many electronic devices began to fail. Badly soldered parts fell off. Alas, this is so. I believe that we should fight for the environment, but we should not splash out along with dirty water from the basin of the child =)
I still use leaded solder, but I am not a manufacturer.

I have had equipment that used leaded solder where the joints were poor and failed on a regular basis. I kept having to take it apart and remake the joints. The manufacturers had done a very poor job in the build.

hippy

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:33 am

barryxprt wrote:
2 of the Pi 4's were DOA with this issue (feint, solid green LED & solid bright red LED)
A couple of posters have stated having a feint green LED rather than bright green LED. That's interesting because the LED is wired across 3V3 and 0V switched by a FET controlled by the ACT_CLK line.

The most likely reasons for that LED to be feint rather than fully on is 3V3 isn't 3v3, the 3V3 is switching levels, or the ACT_CLK is switching, creating a PWM-like dimming of the LED.

One possibility where the LED is feint could be that the PMIC is starting up and then shutting down, repeatedly pulsing the 3V3 line. If you have a scope you could perhaps take a look at the 3V3 rail. A multi-meter would probably show some voltage but not full 3V3 if it is power-cycling 3V3.

emma1997

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:03 pm

renice123 wrote:
we should not splash out along with dirty water from the basin of the child =)
Hi, renice123. I see now you are probably from another country and smart and not just too young or other problems. Maybe we can blame bad google translate. It's not required but showing approximately where we are from in the avatar can help avoid misinterpretations.

Let's not "Throw out the baby with the bath water" lol

James007

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:19 pm

renice123 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:33 am
It seems to me that if we want to find out what happens when the "green LED of death" appears, then we need to provide more technical information.

For example, the following questions immediately arise.
1. Which memory card was used (and even on which card reader the image is recorded).

SanDisk Ultra 32GB A1

2. Which case was used (closed, open, metal, plastic, and so on.

Metal case

3. What kind of power supply. Whether there was a voltage drop or frequent malfunctions in the electrical home network.

Original power supply

4. Whether the temperature of Raspberry was controlled (for example, I have constant temperature control turned on and when I reach 60 degrees, Raspberry is turned off).

Cooler running non stop.

5. Are any devices connected to the GPIO

No devices were connected to GPIO. Only the cooler was connected to 5V.

6. Where is Raspberry physically located and can it be that the microcomputer is exposed to humid air or is in a stuffy shoe box =)

Office space 25C

7. In what mode was the computer used? Constantly worked or often turned on and off.

Headless with no X. K8S was running but without any pods.

What programs were most often used (server or web browsing through Chromium and so on)
Have any changes been made to config.txt
Indicate the firmware version and whether EEPROM was tried to flash (before or after the "green death LED").

Stock EEPROM, no changes in config.txt were made.

8. How the computer behaves after the appearance of the "green death LED". How much current does Raspberry consume in this case (measure the current with an ammeter). Can check some signals on the board with an oscilloscope? What happens if you lower the voltage from the power supply to Raspberry (for example, to 4.8 Volts or lower, to 4.5 Volts. Will the red light disappear?).

No idea.

9. Perhaps it makes sense to post photographs of Raspberry and setup, the environment in which the microcomputer worked. That is, indicate the brand of keyboard, mouse, connected devices.

Only the ETH was connected, not WiFi or keyboard, mouse was used.
I am adding this info just for reference.

James007

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:26 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:33 am
barryxprt wrote:
2 of the Pi 4's were DOA with this issue (feint, solid green LED & solid bright red LED)
A couple of posters have stated having a feint green LED rather than bright green LED. That's interesting because the LED is wired across 3V3 and 0V switched by a FET controlled by the ACT_CLK line.

The most likely reasons for that LED to be feint rather than fully on is 3V3 isn't 3v3, the 3V3 is switching levels, or the ACT_CLK is switching, creating a PWM-like dimming of the LED.

One possibility where the LED is feint could be that the PMIC is starting up and then shutting down, repeatedly pulsing the 3V3 line. If you have a scope you could perhaps take a look at the 3V3 rail. A multi-meter would probably show some voltage but not full 3V3 if it is power-cycling 3V3.

Indeed I can confirm the PWM-like behavior of the GREEN LED. Is not lighting at full capacity.
RPI4greenLED.jpg
Red and Green LED
RPI4greenLED.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 579 times

hippy

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:08 pm

James007 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:26 pm
Indeed I can confirm the PWM-like behavior of the GREEN LED. Is not lighting at full capacity.
Do you have a multi-meter you could use to carefully measure the 3V3 with respect to 0V ?

The safest way to do that is with 'DuPont' female jump wires to the GPIO header pins and measuring at the other ends, taking care to not let them short together.

James007

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Indeed there are no 3V3 only 1.83V.
Rpi4183V.jpg
Rpi4183V.jpg (226.14 KiB) Viewed 551 times
I am afraid not to be the same issue with the broken line for the resistor like here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... n#p1555512

renice123

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:33 pm

As far as I know, Raspberry 4 uses MaxLinear's MxL7704, this is a more advanced version of PMIC than the previous one.
It would be interesting if the owners of the dead microcomputers could give Raspberry for repair (for example, in the service center where they repair cell phones or laptops) and ask to replace PMIC. However, perhaps the PMIC for Raspberry is different from the “regular” MxL7704.
https://datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/MxL7704.html

jasonsaffle13

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 am

I just fixed this issue by swapping out my micro HDMI adapter two of the three I have cause this issue.

bcatalin

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

jasonsaffle13 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 am
I just fixed this issue by swapping out my micro HDMI adapter two of the three I have cause this issue.
I have this issue without HDMI connected. I suspect that in you case is a different issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting”